WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   It started as a MidStar 40 (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73269)

Bald Paul 03-01-2014 11:24 PM

It started as a MidStar 40
 
1 Attachment(s)
Picked up a Sig MidStar 40 kit, with full intentions of converting it to electric. Not just any conversion, though! Twin motors with counter-rotating props. Motor nacelles were designed in CAD and laser cut. Sheeting on the wing was extended out, and aileron servos were mounted in underwing plates. I figured there would be too many wires to use the single servo and torque rod setup supplied in the kit.

It's powered by two Firepower 25 Sport motors (Heads Up RC) swinging APC 12X8e props (one pusher) and two 2200mah, 50C 3S lipo packs in parallel, mounted in what was the fuel tank area beneath the hatch. Two 80 amp ESC's mount below the battery tray. The lower scoop in the fuselage brings air right across the heat sinks and exits via an outlet hole in the rear lower fuselage. Futaba radio gear is used (S3003 ball bearing servos, FASST receiver with separate Rx pack).

The nose was closed off with a CAD designed curved hatch. Access to the Dean's plugs from the batteries to the ESCs is behind this hatch, secured by rare earth magnets.

When it was put on the stand for balancing, I had a very unexpected surprise - it was PERFECT!

I can't wait for the snow to melt, the field to dry up, and have a chance to put this bird in the air! It's been a fun winter project.

gramps2361 03-01-2014 11:36 PM

BP looks great and that thing is going to be a screamer with twin 25's on it. Let's hit Webster lake wide open flying field just have to dodge the guy's ice fishing.

Have to ask did you have the 80 amp esc's on hand could of gotten away with a lot smaller saving some wgt.

Bald Paul 03-01-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps2161 (Post 941266)
BP looks great and that thing is going to be a screamer with twin 25's on it. Let's hit Webster lake wide open flying field just have to dodge the guy's ice fishing.

Have to ask did you have the 80 amp esc's on hand could of gotten away with a lot smaller saving some wgt.

The 80 amp ESC's are really overkill, but they weren't expensive, and have no BEC circuitry. Had I gone with something smaller and lighter, I would have ended up adding nose weight anyway, so it worked out well.

Have you had the chance to get the Demi Duster up?

gramps2361 03-01-2014 11:52 PM

Well that explains the esc size then.

No I haven't flown the Duster yet been busy building and life. I did put it on a diet and shaved about 4 oz. off her. I put in smaller servos, and moved every thing forward. Now I need to remove the motor so I can take out some of the lead in the front.
I am looking forward to flying it you did a nice job building it. Did you jion the club this year or still staying with the one near your work?

CHELLIE 03-02-2014 12:07 AM

Hi Paul :ws: Dont let the snow hold you back ???? Put some snow skies on the plane and go Fly :D

rcers 03-02-2014 12:21 AM

Looks great... :)

dgjessing 03-02-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 941270)
Hi Paul :ws: Dont let the snow hold you back ???? Put some snow skies on the plane and go Fly :D

Says the Southern Californian :rolleyes:

:)

gramps2361 03-02-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgjessing (Post 941276)
Says the Southern Californian :rolleyes:

:)

LMAO that's funny.

Bald Paul 03-02-2014 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps2161 (Post 941269)
Well that explains the esc size then.

No I haven't flown the Duster yet been busy building and life. I did put it on a diet and shaved about 4 oz. off her. I put in smaller servos, and moved every thing forward. Now I need to remove the motor so I can take out some of the lead in the front.
I am looking forward to flying it you did a nice job building it. Did you jion the club this year or still staying with the one near your work?

Actually found a club even closer to work. I know some of the guys there, and they invited me down to fly after work during the week. One of my co-workers got interested and just purchased his first plane, a balsa ARF, that I'll be helping him finish, so he'll be taking his lessons with an instructor there.

If I ever decide to build another Demi Duster (I still have all my CAD files) it will be going on a serious diet. Still have my Spacewalker. That's so light it floats, but you really need a calm day. I think from now on I'll stick to the bigger ships.

Bald Paul 03-02-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 941270)
Hi Paul :ws: Dont let the snow hold you back ???? Put some snow skies on the plane and go Fly :D

As I've gotten older, I find myself enjoying my time standing out in a snowy, cold field less and less enticing than building up something while I sit in my warm house. :D

gramps2361 03-02-2014 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 941284)
Actually found a club even closer to work. I know some of the guys there, and they invited me down to fly after work during the week. One of my co-workers got interested and just purchased his first plane, a balsa ARF, that I'll be helping him finish, so he'll be taking his lessons with an instructor there.

If I ever decide to build another Demi Duster (I still have all my CAD files) it will be going on a serious diet. Still have my Spacewalker. That's so light it floats, but you really need a calm day. I think from now on I'll stick to the bigger ships.


Glad to hear you have a club closer to work even better you snagged a new guy into this hobby.:)

If you ever want to fly at the club in town just let me know be more than happy to have you come down and fly.

CHELLIE 03-02-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgjessing (Post 941276)
Says the Southern Californian :rolleyes:

:)

Yep :eek: We Get Snow in the High Desert in So Calif,:D i have had to put some skis on my planes from time to time :Q :Q :Q LOL



My House in the High Desert

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/atta...3&d=1294043656

dgjessing 03-02-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 941307)
Yep :eek: We Get Snow in the High Desert in So Calif,:D i have had to put some skis on my planes from time to time :Q :Q :Q LOL

OK, I stand corrected :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.08402 seconds with 13 queries