WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Foamies (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is the Dollartree foamboard? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73272)

DavidR8 03-02-2014 06:56 AM

Is the Dollartree foamboard?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Mikey's RC FPV on my shop table right now. I built it using Elmer's foamboard from Michaels. From what I've read it's heavier than Dollartree board.

Today I picked up 8 sheets from Dollartree. They are also Elmer's brand but feels significantly lighter (also less substantial) than the Michael's board.

I've attached a shot of the label from the stuff I picked up today. Is it what everyone else is using?

CHELLIE 03-02-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR8 (Post 941300)
I have a Mikey's RC FPV on my shop table right now. I built it using Elmer's foamboard from Michaels. From what I've read it's heavier than Dollartree board.

Today I picked up 8 sheets from Dollartree. They are also Elmer's brand but feels significantly lighter (also less substantial) than the Michael's board.

I've attached a shot of the label from the stuff I picked up today. Is it what everyone else is using?

Hi I have used that board too, they are all just about the same, Remove the paper from just one side, and the board will still be strong, but lighter, Hope that helps, Chellie

DavidR8 03-02-2014 07:38 AM

Thanks!

Thanks Chellie, appreciate the confirmation.

road king 97 03-02-2014 06:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR8 (Post 941303)
Thanks Chellie, appreciate the confirmation.

I take both sides of the paper off so it bends better and have built a few planes with it. I see some building with paper on and they fly well also but you cant glue anything to the paper part or it will pull loose later . joe

Mivins 03-02-2014 07:25 PM

Hey David: I've used foam board from Dollar Tree and what I have been getting lately is Adams (brand) from R.L. Adams in Wyoming Mich. It appears to have a slightly wavey appearance but it is not apparent when I removed both sides of the paper. I like to use elmer's yellow carpenter glue as it seems to soak into the foam a bit and gives some adjustment time and not globs like the hot glue gun. I typically brush the surfaces with a trimmed down acid brush and then assemble and pin or clamp. Paper and cardboard adhere well as the glue soaks into the paper. Its cheap enough to do it however works best for you, experiment and you'll love it. The stuff really gets a lot of strength when you put a bit of a bend in it. Have fun, Marty:cool:

Mivins 03-02-2014 07:27 PM

Hey David: I've used foam board from Dollar Tree and what I have been getting lately is Adams (brand) from R.L. Adams in Wyoming Mich. It appears to have a slightly wavey appearance but it is not apparent when I removed both sides of the paper. I like to use elmer's yellow carpenter glue as it seems to soak into the foam a bit and gives some adjustment time and not globs like the hot glue gun. I typically brush the surfaces with a trimmed down acid brush and then assemble and pin or clamp. Paper and cardboard adhere well as the glue soaks into the paper. Its cheap enough to do it however works best for you, experiment and you'll love it. The stuff really gets a lot of strength when you put a bit of a bend in it. Have fun, Marty

Henry Sistrunk 03-02-2014 10:26 PM

Marty repeats himself:D

road king 97 03-02-2014 10:26 PM

David i also collect free plans for DT foam and free balsa plans too. Here is thread on the Slowly from Germany and Jurgen just releiced the Judi Jetstream in the Slowly thread on post number 882 enjoy . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...686460&page=59