WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hobby people Century glider (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73287)

propnut48 03-04-2014 10:50 PM

Hobby people Century glider

Has anyone tried the H/P century glider yet? I bought one on sale to teach my grand son to fly and it was really slow on the controls. I rearranged the horns on the elev. and rudder to get a little more control which helped a little. The rudder has a big problem, it moves at the bottom but not the top. I had to add a bit of strapping tape to stiffen it up a bit. Works better now but it is not a really good plane to teach someone on as it is a very slow reacting plane. Also the folding prop is spring loaded but won't fold back unless it is stalled first to get the air off the prop. It acts like a prop disc and has a tendency to slow the plane too much. May have to hack it as well. Nice that it has a magnetic wing so any hard landings it will just pop off. I may just get a realflight sim to teach him to fly as it is cheaper then crashing a real plane.

pizzano 03-05-2014 01:41 AM

I'm not familar with the Century glider, but I'm not surprised Hobby People consider it a trainer........many of their brands are labled "beginner" compatible.....whatever that means...lol

Consider building grandson (have him help too) a GWS Slow Stick which HP carries......it's a whole lot more realistic than a sim and a whole lot more fun to learn on without the worry of $$$$ repairs....and it will also be a good tool to teach fixes and mod's on........just a thought...;)

fhhuber 03-05-2014 08:33 AM

Sailplanes can be VERY slow to respond. This does help some beginners. It can drive some people nuts too.

I was doing aerobatics with a Dynaflite Butterfly which is a huge powered sailplane. One of the other club members asked to try it. Since he was in the top 20 at Masters Pattern at the Nats a couple of times I let him... and he couldn't fly the plane!

Just a totally different way of flying than the higher speed and higher power models.

propnut48 03-05-2014 07:30 PM

It is REALLY slow in respond. That's stock out of the box though. If given rudder input with no elev. it just laughs at you. I replaced the horn and it is a little better. Still needs elev. to make the turn. May hack it and put a Tactic brick in it and make it a V tail also. Love to mod. stuff. I can fly it as i fly alot of sailplanes and powered gliders and almost lost it on the first flight because of it being so slow to respond. I kinda like it now that Iv'e modified it a bit. Nice and small.