WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Covering on plastic (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73290)

thepiper92 03-05-2014 10:05 PM

Covering on plastic

Can covering be used on plastics used for the cowl and such, more specifically the lighter coverings that take the least amount of heat to adhere?

CHELLIE 03-06-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 941609)
Can covering be used on plastics used for the cowl and such, more specifically the lighter coverings that take the least amount of heat to adhere?

Hi :ws: Its best to paint Plastic parts, the heat needed to Shrink the plastic covering is just about the same heat needed to mold/ melt plastic with and you may bend or shrink your plastic part, Just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie

FlyWheel 03-06-2014 01:22 AM

+1 on that. Plastic is easily paintable. If you want transparent colors just look for candy apple paints and skip the primer and metallic coats, just use the color.

solentlife 03-06-2014 02:41 AM

I've actually tried it ... but the temp needed to shrink the film exceeds the plastics tolerance.

The best way to solve this is to match paint at local DIY shop ... use common house wall emulsion mixed to correct colour needed. Take a piece of film from model for matching colour.

If plastic part is clear plastic - excellent - you paint INSIDE which then the clear plastic gives the gloss to the paint.
If plastic is white or not clear - then paint exterior and finally a spray gloss lacquer coat to give it shine.

Nigel

thepiper92 03-06-2014 05:22 AM

Do you know if typical polycarbonate paint works on the plastic

solentlife 03-06-2014 05:29 AM

Best ask the "Car" guys ... they know all the variations of paint for plastic bodies.

Reason I suggest house wall paint is the coverage is one coat and water based.

Nigel

hayofstacks 03-06-2014 06:16 AM

My car buddies used plastic spray paint. I wanna say dupoint, but it can be had at autozone or wallmart. just make sure it says plastics on it. some spray paint eats plastic.

thepiper92 03-06-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 941649)
Best ask the "Car" guys ... they know all the variations of paint for plastic bodies.

Reason I suggest house wall paint is the coverage is one coat and water based.

Nigel

I am a car guy, or more was a car guy. I have painted quite a few bodies, of which I found the best way to paint is one coat, hair dryer for 30 seconds to a minute, next coat, dryer again, take of masking to apply have next color, and so on. So in terms of polycarbonate bodies, I know how to paint well, and if anyone ever comes across the task of painting it, I can certainly help, although not in the realm of airbrushing, though I'm sure I could. The issue is, you can't tell by simply looking at plastic if it will work. I find the biggest issue is running if it is the wrong surface. I asked my LHS, and they didn't even know what I was talking about about this plastic cowl. Never built a plane before I gather. The reason I wanted covering is to get an exact match. Luckily, the Krylon Fusion I used on the P51 matches well but has no shine and scratches off easily. Don't want to do that again. I was reading large plastic areas can be covered, as you can glide the iron over before the plastic melts but allow the covering to adhere. With small parts, it's very difficult, as when you apply it, the iron is essential heating up the whole piece, not allowing you to give areas a rest from the heat. Perhaps a scrap piece would be wise to test, see how quickly it melts, and see if the covering adheres before melting the plastic. What I was thinking was to cover the cowl, and use a fine permanent sharpie to blacken the "seams" in the cowl.

thepiper92 03-06-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 941654)
My car buddies used plastic spray paint. I wanna say dupoint, but it can be had at autozone or wallmart. just make sure it says plastics on it. some spray paint eats plastic.

Okay thanks, perhaps I'll find some "matching" polycarbonate paint. Only issue is, Testors no longer makes the polycarbonate, and all that is left is Tamiya...ugh. Anything at my LHS for polycarb may be expired. Testors still have spray enamel. Perchance my lhs has it.

hayofstacks 03-06-2014 06:47 AM

Any auto parts store should also have it. they use it for car interior painting as well.

thepiper92 03-06-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 941661)
Any auto parts store should also have it. they use it for car interior painting as well.

Do you have any experience with enamel?

hayofstacks 03-06-2014 07:02 AM

I honestly have no idea. when I buy paint I just read what it says on the label. if it says its okay for my application, I use it. I must admit though, my planes aren't known for their looks.

thepiper92 03-06-2014 07:26 AM

Lol nothing wrong with that, whatever floats your boat, or flies your plane. I personally like having scale look with semi scale flying, except Cessna kind of scale, I don't like the civilian stuff too much. My mini switch, on the other hand doesn't have the looks, being white foam, but it's certainly fun to fly around, and if I scrape the wing a tad on landing (the plane likes coming in fast) it's not gonna scratch paint or covering off. The less beautiful planes certainly cause you less stress during takeoff and landings.

DHC Beaver 03-06-2014 09:21 PM

I tried covering a cowl.Don't bother.It's impossible to cover a compound curve at the sort of curves you find on a cowl.
I use acrylic enamel through an airbrush,and put on a final clear coat from a spray can.
As long as you remember not too mix different paint types,painting is the way to go.

thepiper92 03-06-2014 10:08 PM

So I guess I won't be matching color. Might as well go for a different color

solentlife 03-07-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 941725)
So I guess I won't be matching color. Might as well go for a different color

?? Why not ?

Go to local paint store ... show film to the assistant - they will blend up the paint colour for you.

Nigel

thepiper92 03-07-2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 941753)
?? Why not ?

Go to local paint store ... show film to the assistant - they will blend up the paint colour for you.

Nigel

Would they do spray enamel though?

solentlife 03-07-2014 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 941754)
Would they do spray enamel though?

Oh dear .. go back to my original suggestion ...

House wall paint with a clear gloss spray over top on outside. Or just wall paint on inside of clear plastic - as Oscar Wilde reputedly said : will shine out like a shaft of gold while all around is dark ...

Nigel

thepiper92 03-07-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 941757)
Oh dear .. go back to my original suggestion ...

House wall paint with a clear gloss spray over top on outside. Or just wall paint on inside of clear plastic - as Oscar Wilde reputedly said : will shine out like a shaft of gold while all around is dark ...

Nigel

Never been that good at using a brush and avoiding the brush lines in the paint. Varnish is another story but I'm no pro at brush painting. Perchance the clearcoat would help it.

solentlife 03-07-2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 941760)
Never been that good at using a brush and avoiding the brush lines in the paint. Varnish is another story but I'm no pro at brush painting. Perchance the clearcoat would help it.

Water based household emulsion wall paint ... the stuff you paint interior walls with ... flows and lines disappear ...

I paint many models with it ... no issues with compatibility of foam ... it dries quickly ... easy to touch up if repairs .... washes out brushes in water .... usually works in one coat ...

For gloss finish - apply spray gloss lacquer over top.

Nigel

thepiper92 03-07-2014 02:50 AM

That's a big help, thanks. Now for the engine area, what color should that be? Since ill be down there, may as well get some for the engine. For the cockpit I already have my little bottles of paint.

dgjessing 03-07-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 941761)
Water based household emulsion wall paint ... the stuff you paint interior walls with ... flows and lines disappear ...

I paint many models with it ... no issues with compatibility of foam ... it dries quickly ... easy to touch up if repairs .... washes out brushes in water .... usually works in one coat ...

It's easy to spray house paint too (spray gun, compressor...).

thepiper92 03-07-2014 02:37 PM

If I had that I would use it, but I don't have a lot of room as it is for more equipment.

BroncoSquid 03-07-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgjessing (Post 941802)
It's easy to spray house paint too (spray gun, compressor...).

Yep, used Bher flat house paint thinned with windex, and a cheap Harbor Freight automotive spray gun last weekend to paint a home made horse stall for toy horses. I like the sample sizes they have $3 each, any color. They have a color matching machine there too.

solentlife 03-07-2014 04:09 PM

Hobby Airbrush and connectors ... less than $10

Aircan to power it - good enough for a few cowls ...

Or as some of us used back in 'old days' ... a car tyre pumped up hard.

If you really feel adventurous - an old refridgerator compressor can provide an excellent compressor for airbrush.

Nigel