WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   electric flight box (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73292)

sidybee 03-06-2014 04:22 AM

electric flight box

hey how about some pics of every body's flight box's. im thinking of building a small one to house radio battery's, charger glues, ect
ive seen some on line but i would like to see how every body else does theres home built jobbers or store bought.:D

solentlife 03-06-2014 06:25 AM

I have one for each set of batterys ... one for 3S ... one for 4S etc.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...es/lipobox.jpg

For tools :

Fixed wing ...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ixedwing01.jpg

For Heli's

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...s/heliopen.jpg

which folds up to ...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...heliclosed.jpg

Available at local DIY shop for about $6 each ... I just cut out odd divider bit here and there to accommodate longer items. I have changed the plastic handles to rope to be more secure.

Each has a sticky large label on lid saying what each is ...

This makes it easy to sort for flying session as I just grab what box suits that particular day.

Nigel

sidybee 03-06-2014 05:17 PM

thats a good idea for different planes . ive been looking at a lot of boxs but cant settle on one yet. so now thinking of building my own from thin ply wood or birch wood something.

yorkiepap 03-06-2014 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use one of the inexpensive aluminum cases from HF. Plenty of room for most needs. Here's a pic & link....

Denny

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-13...l#.UxiwTYUTP64

Yakfishingfool 03-06-2014 06:40 PM

I have a great set up I like, an old tackle box with plano 7100's that insert. But after reading several lipo issues I am going to find an old craftsman metal tool box with a drawer or two and make that mile lipo carrying case and charging station. May be a bit overkill but a house fire would suck bad.

BroncoSquid 03-06-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidybee (Post 941636)
hey how about some pics of every body's flight box's. im thinking of building a small one to house radio battery's, charger glues, ect
ive seen some on line but i would like to see how every body else does theres home built jobbers or store bought.:D

What is "charger gule"?:p>

sidybee 03-06-2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 941704)
What is "charger gule"?:p>

you know that icky stuff that leaks out just after you fried it :D
my fingers type fast than my brain for got the comas .....:D

i thought about those breif case type from harbor freight. cheap and will hold everything, radio and all.
im still getting ideas.

azcat 03-07-2014 04:32 AM

Flight box

Yak flight,
Is there a Harbor Freight where you live? I've seen small top type tool boxes there quite reasonably priced. As a heavy equipment mechanic I have to say some of their products are pretty good

azcat 03-07-2014 04:33 AM

Oops

Lets try Yakfishingfool!!! So sorry!!!

sidybee 03-07-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azcat (Post 941781)
Lets try Yakfishingfool!!! So sorry!!!

sounds like a yak thats fishing and is a fool hahahahaha:D

Yakfishingfool 03-07-2014 07:22 PM

have not stopped in to look there but thanks for the tip:) I spend a lot of my time sitting in a kayak fishing in the everglades ;)

dahawk 03-07-2014 07:46 PM

I carry 4 items with me. That way, I can arrange them in the trunk of the car or back seat to suit the plane situation of the day. Takes up far less space than trying to consolidate everything. 1). A plastic tool box where I throw in all of my most likely needed tools ( Pliers, screwdrivers, packing tape, CA, etc.) 2) A soft-sided AMA satchel bag where I keep my ICharger, PS and paraboard along with a variety of connectors, my DX9 manual just in case, cell checker, etc. 3). An Army surplus ammo container for my lipos to be used that day. Can't find a better storage device than this. and 4). My Turnigy case for the DX9 .

Each individual load is very light weight and compact.

If I'm going to the field with just one or two planes to fly a few sorties , then I just bring the lipos to be used specific to those planes . Usually 2 of each. I use a small plastic tackle box.

Works for me anyway.

-Hawk

solentlife 03-07-2014 08:03 PM

with regard to Lipo's in winter ...... I have a small Insulated bag that is designed to carry a beer pack ... it's about 10" long, 8" wide and 8" deep .... It is just enough to carry a reasonable days flight supply of LiPo's.
If you look at my Concorde videos ... you'll see it ... cost about $5 and slings over shoulder nicely.

Nigel

LSP972 03-09-2014 04:14 AM

Ah. The never-ending quest for that most elusive of unicorns... the perfect flight box.

Trust me; that puppy doesn't exist. I've been flying R/C models since 1987, and have been through at least a dozen (probably more) various examples. What I learned is what dahawk alluded to; a proper "flight box" is task-specific.

Basically, you must decide between two options:

1. A complete set-.up, that will enable you to make serious repairs and anticipate just about every possible contingency. Once you sit down and make that list of stuff, you'll go "Oh, my..."

2. A "minimalist" set-up, with some basic tools/accoutrements for minor/basic repairs and/or adjustments. Trust me, this the way to go. Any serious work is best handled back home in your work area. Major field repairs have way of going south in a hurry, with predictable results.

Anyway, your choice will dictate your container capacity. Having long ago settled on Option #2, when I began electrics last year I gave quite a bit of thought to this, and decided to try something unorthodox.

I use a medium-sized backpack. It hold a medium-sized worm box, suitably altered internally to fit my chosen tool load-out, several small containers of screws and pieces/parts, clean-up items such as a spray bottle and hand towels, other assorted modeling bric-a-brac, and my Hi-Tec X4 charger, cords, goodies, etc.

I have a small Halliburton aluminum camera case that holds my 12Z transmitter, and batteries are carried in Kevlar charging envelopes. This has really been working out well for me.

OP, you do know the Fifth Corrollary to Murphy's Law, yes?

"A bottle of CA, carried in a flight box, will always leak or otherwise get emptied all over the contents of said flight box... And just before you desperately need some glue."

Believe that... It's the gospel...:D

sidybee 03-09-2014 04:37 AM

lsp very good advice there i know what i want to take just need to figger out what to put it in. im not looking for a full repair for the planes just want to pack radio and some batterys and a few small tools,extra props, simple yet works good. and your right about that glue but have that part figgered out. just getting ideas about what everybody use's just something simple but hold it all. im the guy that packs theplane and out we go flying then come home after a few hrs. not all day long out there i have other things to do.

solentlife 03-09-2014 05:09 AM

The way I decided what tools to carry was to create a box that held the usual tools I used at the bench.

When it comes down to it - it's not that many really :

Prop adaptor rod to fit holes in bullet.
Cross point screwdriver small + medium size
Flat blade screwdriver small and medium size
Small pliers
Needle nose pliers
Prop nut spanner
Strong fibre re-inforced tape
Insulation tape
Clear tape
Retractable cheap model knife
Cocktail sticks
Spare nuts and bolts
Spare wing bands
Decent bottle of CA - (mine have NEVER leaked)
Thread lock (blue) - (this HAS leaked ! - so now in plastic bag !)
One spare prop in each size flying that day.... reamed ready / with spare adaptor rings.

If you need more than that - you are into serious stuff !

My Tx's - I carry two ... I gave up boxing and just lay on car seat now ...

Lipo's are either in those dedicated boxes shown before or the Insulated Picnic bag in winter ...

Simple ... works ..... nothing overly fancy or needing construction skills.

Nigel

LSP972 03-09-2014 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 942038)
My Tx's - I carry two ... I gave up boxing and just lay on car seat now ...

Check Cabela's, or any big box sporting goods store. They sell molded plastic pistol cases, with open cell foam inserts; the "two pistol" size is perfect for carrying two transmitters. BTW, putting said insert in the freezer for a day, then using a sharp bread knife, guarantees clean cuts in that foam when you are shaping cut-outs for your stuff

Inexpensive, these plastic cases are. And surprisingly effective.

solentlife 03-09-2014 06:53 AM

Note I said : I gave up boxing my two Tx's ... meaning I HAVE a case that takes both ...

I just got fed up with putting and taking out of a case ... carrying a case that in fact was larger and more awkward than just putting the two Tx handles together to carry. With the case that was one hand occupied .. but without the case - carrying the TX's by their own handles allows me to carry another item with that hand as well....

One thing I did think about ... was whether a soft Tx case could be modified and fixed to lid of my LiPo boxes ... so I lift LiPo box and Tx is carried with it.
I had a similar idea on my Glow Flight box many years ago ... where a soft 'pouch' was attached to side of box.

Nigel