WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sig Kadet Sinorita (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73319)

dheaton 03-09-2014 06:17 PM

Sig Kadet Sinorita

I am looking for the instruction book for the Sig Kadet Seniorita. I have the plans but lost the booklet. Any help would be apreciated.

thepiper92 03-09-2014 06:37 PM

Perhaps you should build without the directions. With directions, you tend to barely use plans, as I did with my mountain models p51. When I went to the p47 build I was forced to learn the plans, and it has helped. They should have all info you need to build the plane properly, such as stringer thickness, sheeting thickness and formers labelled

dheaton 03-09-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 942067)
Perhaps you should build without the directions. With directions, you tend to barely use plans, as I did with my mountain models p51. When I went to the p47 build I was forced to learn the plans, and it has helped. They should have all info you need to build the plane properly, such as stringer thickness, sheeting thickness and formers labelled

Yes you are probably right. The plane is almost built (20 years ago) and just remembered that is does not have ailerons. I would like to put some on. Not too good at changing plans like that but how hard could it be right? It is either that or put is away for another 20 years.:roll:

pizzano 03-09-2014 07:19 PM

Perhaps this will help a little......I tend not to "fly by the seat of my pants" when starting a new build I'm not familiar with:

http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/s...tseniorita.pdf

It may not be the exact model your'e looking for but it could be helpful......;)

dheaton 03-09-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 942070)
Perhaps this will help a little......I tend not to "fly by the seat of my pants" when starting a new build I'm not familiar with:

http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/s...tseniorita.pdf

It may not be the exact model your'e looking for but it could be helpful......;)

Yes that is the exact plane. Thanks I appreciate it. Not sure what you meant by the "fly by the seat of my pants" comment though.

dheaton 03-09-2014 07:27 PM

What I would like to do is to make this plane that I started building over 20 years ago into an electric with ailerons. Not sure how hard this will be to do though.

pizzano 03-09-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dheaton (Post 942072)
What I would like to do is to make this plane that I started building over 20 years ago into an electric with ailerons. Not sure how hard this will be to do though.

Here's a "cut and paste" explanation:

Fly by the seat of one's pants

Meaning

Decide a course of action as you go along, using your own initiative and perceptions rather than a pre-determined plan or mechanical aids.
Origin

This is early aviation parlance. Aircraft initially had few navigation aids and flying was accomplished by means of the pilot's judgment. The term emerged in the 1930s and was first widely used in reports of Douglas Corrigan's flight from the USA to Ireland in 1938.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/images/corrigan.jpgThat flight was reported in many US newspapers of the day, including this piece, titled 'Corrigan Flies By The Seat Of His Pants', in The Edwardsville Intelligencer, 19th July 1938:
"Douglas Corrigan was described as an aviator 'who flies by the seat of his pants' today by a mechanic who helped him rejuvinate the plane which airport men have now nicknamed the 'Spirit of $69.90'. The old flying expression of 'flies by the seat of his trousers' was explained by Larry Conner, means going aloft without instruments, radio or other such luxuries."
Two days before this report Corrigan had submitted a flight plan to fly from Brooklyn to California. He had previously had a plan for a trans-Atlantic flight rejected (presumably on the grounds that the 'Spirit of $69.60 wasn't considered up to the job). His subsequent 29 hour flight ended in Dublin, Ireland. He claimed that his compasses had failed. He didn't openly admit it but it was widely assumed that he had ignored the rejection of his flight plan and deliberately flown east rather than west. He was thereafter known as 'Wrong Way Corrigan' and starred as himself in the 1938 movie The Flying Irishman.
The 'old flying expression' quoted above (although it can't have been very old in 1938) that refers to trousers rather than pants does suggest that the phrase was originally British and crossed the Atlantic (the right way) prior to becoming 'flies by the seat of one's pants'.

thepiper92 03-09-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dheaton (Post 942068)
Yes you are probably right. The plane is almost built (20 years ago) and just remembered that is does not have ailerons. I would like to put some on. Not too good at changing plans like that but how hard could it be right? It is either that or put is away for another 20 years.:roll:

Ailerons shouldn't be too hard to do, assuming the plane isn't covered. You are going to want to decide how big they are, and where they are located. Pick a starting former in the wing and an ending former (3 formers wide, 4 formers wide, etc). Now chose where the aileron starts and the wing ends on a middle former, this will decide the length of the aileron. Do not cut the end pieces, but all "middle" formers at this same point (assuming this is a rectangular aileron). Cut through the trailing edge along the inside of the end formers. This will free up the part that will be the aileron. It will be made up of x number of cut formers and a trailing edge piece extending further out, like a Roman numeral. Here you will take back the cuts on the former pieces of the wing and aileron piece so a strip of balsa can span perpendicular to the cut formers. Ypu have to take back the formers the width of these balsa strips to allow the aileron to line up with the rest of wing. Finally, sand the ends of the leading edge that is on the aileron, so that a second former piece can be fitted on each end of the aileron piece, completing the rectangular aileron that fits in the wing area. Hope this makes sense, look at my p47 build, this is exactly how the ailerons are made for it; a whole non-aileron wing is made first, and ailerons are essentially removed from the wing.

thepiper92 03-09-2014 11:49 PM

I would suggest to not put ailerons on this plane. It has a large amount of dihedral on top of the fact that it is a high wing, which will want to center its weight. You would need large ailerons with a lot of throw to bank the plane easily. Also the plane is meant to be slower, giving the ailerons less authority.

gramps2361 03-10-2014 12:32 AM

I had the Sig senorita with the ailerons. The ARF ones come with ailerons, and there is plenty of dihedral in the wings.

thepiper92 03-10-2014 01:12 AM

That is odd considering the manual suggests no ailerons

gramps2361 03-10-2014 01:23 AM

It can be done both ways I liked having the ailerons mine was a arf version. One of the club members has a older kit version with the strip ailerons. It was more work to make it with the ailerons, but he said it was worth it.
You are correct the kit wing builds with out the ailerons, but it is easy to make it with them. The plane will roll just not the prettiest ones it's not going to roll the same as a wing with no dihedral.

reblacklaf 05-06-2014 05:02 AM

You can get a copy of the manual from Sig online.

fhhuber 05-06-2014 05:27 AM

2 ways to do ailerons on the Senior and Seniorita.

1: Strip off about half of the trailing edge stock from just beside the fuselage out to wingtip and hinge on appropriate size trailing edge stock. (1 to 1.5 inch wide Seniorita, 1.5 to 2 inch wide for Senior)

2 Pick a rib about halfway between tip and root, cut off the TE just outboard of that rib Pick the aileron chord and cut the other ribs on out to the tip 1/8 inch shorter. Use 1/8 inch stock to make the hinge line "TE". Cut the stub ribs (still attached to the TE stock you cut free...) at an angle removing 1/4 inch at top and more at bottom Again cap with 1/8 inch stock. (you need to make one stub rib to cap the inboard end of each aileron)
Add 1/4 inch inserts between ribs at each hinge location. Slot for the hinges near the upper surface.