WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   12 Volt Jump-Start Battery As Power Source (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73329)

garyp1029 03-11-2014 08:48 PM

12 Volt Jump-Start Battery As Power Source

I tried to start a new thread (my first) with this question, but could not get it to go through. I am a newbie, so this may be a dumb question, but . . .
Can a 12 volt, 17 AH Jump-Start battery be used as a power source for a charger such as the Cellpro Multi 4 or the Icharger 106B+? Is 17 AH sufficient? Are there any disadvantages? Thanks. Gary

CHELLIE 03-11-2014 10:09 PM

it will work for smaller lipos, but will poop out real fast with larger lipos.

crxmanpat 03-11-2014 10:09 PM

Gary,

I created a new thread for you. Basically, all you need to do is figure out which forum you want to post in, then create your thread there using the "New Thread" button located at the top left of the forum. I put this in the General Electric Discussions for you.

As to your question, yes you can use that battery to charge with, depending on how big your packs are (if 3 cell packs, you should be just fine). When I first started, I bought a deep cycle marine battery to take to the field with me. But now I just use my car battery.

fhhuber 03-11-2014 10:35 PM

You can look up the "amp-hour" rating for the battery in that jump starter pack.

Multiply by 12 (volts) and you get the estimated watt-hr capacity.

Divide by 2. Save this number

Take each you plan to charge and multiply nominal voltage by mah capacity. Divide by 1000.
That will be watt-hr capacity of the pack.

Divide the number saved above (1/2 watt-hr of the source) by the watt-hr of the battery to be charged. You now have the number of recharges you can expect. (without damaging the source battery)

tobydogs 03-12-2014 12:13 AM

i tried the cellpro 4 on a car jumpstart battery,it gave me the insufficient power code after 1 3cell being on it for a while. go with the marine cycle battery. i bought one of those and never used it. it sits brand new in the garage. I'll sell it to you cheap and shipping will cost a fortune...:cool:.

gramps2361 03-12-2014 12:37 AM

Buy a good deep cycle battery, and don't buy one of those wally world never starts.

sidybee 03-12-2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps2161 (Post 942264)
Buy a good deep cycle battery, and don't buy one of those wally world never starts.

and a small solor panel to keep it charged

kyleservicetech 03-12-2014 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps2161 (Post 942264)

Yeah
Agreed on that. For fairly low currents, such as would be used while charging a 3S 2000 Mah LiPo battery, those deep cycle batteries will last a long time.

Just don't load down your deep cycle battery to the point where it is completely discharged in 8 -10 hours though. Doing so is really hard on them, and they won't last long.

I was discharging my 120 Amp Hour name brand deep cycle battery with a 40 Amp discharge level, and got less than 6 months life out of it. After that 6 months, a full charge still showed dead on all cells with a battery hydrometer.

JetPlaneFlyer 03-12-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidybee (Post 942281)
and a small solor panel to keep it charged

That depends where you are, might work pretty well in California but try it in north Scotland and results wont be as favourable.

Also bear in mind that it would take days for a small solar panel to put back in what you take out by charging several LiPos. A panel wont keep the battery charged 'in real time'.

fhhuber 03-12-2014 08:33 AM

Takes at least enough panels to output 30 watts to charge a 3S 2200 mah pack at 1C.
To ensure you have that much output you might need 60 watts (nominal) of panels. Appx 1 to 1.5 sq yds of typical solar cells.

Solar can work pretty well in some areas.

hayofstacks 03-12-2014 04:55 PM

I agree. if you only fly once or twice a week, the solar panels would work very well most of the time. and when its cloudy, you could always hook up a battery charger.

kyleservicetech 03-12-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 942330)
I agree. if you only fly once or twice a week, the solar panels would work very well most of the time. and when its cloudy, you could always hook up a battery charger.

Question:
Here is the cost of a 45 watt solar panel. At least 45 watts in direct sunlight. Around here, we've not seen the sun for more than a few hours for several weeks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-p...l#.UyCTXvldUXs

I bought a Craftsman deep cycle battery charger from Kmart some three years ago for $40 on sale. Still using it.

fhhuber 03-12-2014 06:46 PM

I've got the harbor freight solar panel set installed on top of my airplane trailer, plus 1 more panel for 60 watts nominal. Its been working great for over 4 years. I also used 2 deep cycle marine batteries which are dead now... but considering the use they did fine.

Very good around here for solar. Low number of cloudy days.

I'll be adding 3 more panels (45 more watts for 105 watts total) and going to more battery capacity. The 12S 5000 mah pack sets I charge need it.