WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How To Hand Launch Your Park Flier For Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73337)

CHELLIE 03-13-2014 11:29 AM

How To Hand Launch Your Park Flier For Beginners
 
Found this Video from Horizon Hobby on hand Launching a Park Flier and even Learned something myself :D Your never to old to learn something new ;-) Enjoy, Chellie



dahawk 03-13-2014 12:20 PM

Chellie,

Thanks for sharing. I have a lot of hand launchers, some easy, others not so easy. I didn't see the Frisbee style backhand launch in the vid. I see some guys doing this on flying wings. What the vid shows well is that you don't have to be a quarterback or Olympic Javelin thrower to launch these planes.

I need to practice the left hand toss with teeth on throttle technique. WTS does this very well. Can't tell you how many times I've been late getting to the right stick. And by the time I get there, I over control and torque roll the plane into the ground.

And I found out adding a lot of expo is not a good solution either as is just softens the curve around the center of the stick movement. When you over re-act, the stick movement goes extreme and you're in big trouble.

The other thing I've learned is that many planes don't need full throttle for take off, especially when you launch a plane that's designed for 3S on 4S . I have the small crumbled pieces of foam to know better now.

I now have a bungee launcher to try. This will help with the high powered, small & twitchy edf's. But there's the setup hassle to deal with.

-Hawk

quorneng 03-13-2014 02:28 PM

My issue with the video is that all those planes were perfectly in trim and even then the prop planes showed a bit of a torque roll. This is normal but was not mentioned.

Doing a maiden without my aileron/elevator hand on the stick? Never!

hayofstacks 03-13-2014 07:04 PM

I fisbee launch my slowstick, or I angle it up at 45 or so, put the throttle where I want it and let it go. even if its really nose heavy, it gives you a minute to get your right hand back on the stick. I've done this with my mini ultra stick as well. But I like my junk overpowered.

JetPlaneFlyer 03-13-2014 07:57 PM

Did you notice the left to right hand switch in the video?

First he recommended that you launch the plane with the left hand so you can keep control of the Tx with the right hand. While this appears to make some sense and might work for some personally I don't really agree with that because using the left hand to launch increased the chance of a dorked launch a lot.. And anyway you only have very limited control with only one hand holding the Tx, even if it's you right hand.

Interestingly when he moved to the more challenging planes (the Stryker and Habu) he switched hands and did it the way i always would, launching with the right hand.

i liked the inverted launch... very cool!

xmech2k 03-13-2014 08:37 PM

:eek: An inverted underhand edf launch!?! You could pick up chicks somewhere with moves like that!

The only plane I put in the dumpster was because of my first hand launch attempt. A Phase3 P-40. Had pretty good success with the UMX Stryker, though. But the nose got beat up pretty bad.

pizzano 03-13-2014 09:11 PM

Some good tips and some that do not work for everyone......my two Pipers will attest to that (whats left of them).......thus ROG for me, even if the surface I launch from is questionable......:rolleyes:

dgjessing 03-13-2014 10:51 PM

With the few planes that I hand launch, I have somebody else do it for the maiden flight(s), trim it out, then launch with my right hand from then on out. I can get my right hand back on the stick in half a second or so, I'll bet.

My left hand toss would probably be terrible, plus you can't really operate the transmitter with one hand anyway, so why bother trying?

pmullen503 03-14-2014 12:40 AM

Catapult launch is pretty reliable and can be done with no power just to check your CG and throws. Both hands on the sticks too.

What about a gentle DLG style for flying wings?

Underhand inverted launch?!? Now he's just showing off.

CHELLIE 03-14-2014 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 942436)
I fisbee launch my slowstick, or I angle it up at 45 or so, put the throttle where I want it and let it go. even if its really nose heavy, it gives you a minute to get your right hand back on the stick. I've done this with my mini ultra stick as well. But I like my junk overpowered.

:D I never seen a SS being Frisbee Launched :D We Need a Video of that ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 942439)
Did you notice the left to right hand switch in the video?

Yep, I Guess its what ever your comfortable with at the time :ws:

First he recommended that you launch the plane with the left hand so you can keep control of the Tx with the right hand. While this appears to make some sense and might work for some personally I don't really agree with that because using the left hand to launch increased the chance of a dorked launch a lot.. And anyway you only have very limited control with only one hand holding the Tx, even if it's you right hand.

Interestingly when he moved to the more challenging planes (the Stryker and Habu) he switched hands and did it the way i always would, launching with the right hand.

i liked the inverted launch... very cool!

I cant toss a plane with My Left Hand or a Ball, I Throw Like a GIRL with My Left Hand, Oh Wait, I am a Girl :Q :D :ws: LOL

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ys/lol-045.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 942441)
:eek: An inverted underhand edf launch!?! You could pick up chicks somewhere with moves like that!

The only plane I put in the dumpster was because of my first hand launch attempt. A Phase3 P-40. Had pretty good success with the UMX Stryker, though. But the nose got beat up pretty bad.

Hand Launching is not as Easy as some people think it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 942445)
Some good tips and some that do not work for everyone......my two Pipers will attest to that (whats left of them).......thus ROG for me, even if the surface I launch from is questionable......:rolleyes:

I prefer ROG, but some planes you have to hand Launch, I tried to put some Landing gear on a Stryker, But that did not work, when it transitioned it fliped straight up, stalled out and crashed ::o

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgjessing (Post 942447)
With the few planes that I hand launch, I have somebody else do it for the maiden flight(s), trim it out, then launch with my right hand from then on out. I can get my right hand back on the stick in half a second or so, I'll bet.

My left hand toss would probably be terrible, plus you can't really operate the transmitter with one hand anyway, so why bother trying?

I have crashed a Plane once or twice because I could not get my right hand on the transmitter stick quick enough.

CHELLIE 03-14-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 942418)
Chellie,

Thanks for sharing. I have a lot of hand launchers, some easy, others not so easy. I didn't see the Frisbee style backhand launch in the vid. I see some guys doing this on flying wings. What the vid shows well is that you don't have to be a quarterback or Olympic Javelin thrower to launch these planes.

I need to practice the left hand toss with teeth on throttle technique. WTS does this very well. Can't tell you how many times I've been late getting to the right stick. And by the time I get there, I over control and torque roll the plane into the ground.

And I found out adding a lot of expo is not a good solution either as is just softens the curve around the center of the stick movement. When you over re-act, the stick movement goes extreme and you're in big trouble.

The other thing I've learned is that many planes don't need full throttle for take off, especially when you launch a plane that's designed for 3S on 4S . I have the small crumbled pieces of foam to know better now.

I now have a bungee launcher to try. This will help with the high powered, small & twitchy edf's. But there's the setup hassle to deal with.

-Hawk

I feel that Bungees are a great way to launch a plane, I dont like rear prop planes, to easy to get a prop bite. I have crashed trying to get my hand back on the transmitter stick, one time I could not find the stick Quick enough :red: :red: :red: yea, it crashed on take off. with people looking :eek: ;-) LOL

Murman 03-14-2014 03:05 AM

I taught myself to fly with a Superfly. I launched it by grasping it by one wing and tossing it side-arm. It's what I'm used to, and I now use this launching technique for most of my planes.

CHELLIE 03-14-2014 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murman (Post 942467)
I taught myself to fly with a Superfly. I launched it by grasping it by one wing and tossing it side-arm. It's what I'm used to, and I now use this launching technique for most of my planes.

You made that look to EASY :D :D :D

Wrongway-Feldman 03-14-2014 02:10 PM

Being left handed I've always tossed with my left hand.
I can't imagine not having my fingers on the directional controls, especially on a maiden flight.
I can't begin to count the number of planes I would have turfed if I would have had to search for the controls after a launch. That brief moment can make all the difference.

rreid7 03-14-2014 02:44 PM

I routinely hand launch most of my planes, and I do it left handed. I'm right handed and can't throw with my left worth beans, but I don't throw the airplanes so it doesn't matter. At most it's just a gentle forward motion and let go. Using a neck strap I do have adequate control of ailerons and elevator with the right hand only during the time it takes to get the left hand back on the tx. Throttle gets set with the right hand (usually 1/2 to 3/4, depending on the plane) just before launch; I don't really like chewing on the throttle stick!

hayofstacks 03-14-2014 06:00 PM

I don't normally toss my slow stick unless I'm flying off of long grass. it does pretty okay rog.

Here is my dad fisbiee launching his old brushed motor flying on a 800mah 3 cell.


pizzano 03-14-2014 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by hayofstacks http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/imag...s/viewpost.gif
I fisbee launch my slowstick, or I angle it up at 45 or so, put the throttle where I want it and let it go. even if its really nose heavy, it gives you a minute to get your right hand back on the stick. I've done this with my mini ultra stick as well. But I like my junk overpowered.
:D I never seen a SS being Frisbee Launched :D We Need a Video of that ;-)

From "frisbee" experience I've enjoyed, the most common and effective toss is a "back hand" flick.....which, by definition, is a "frisbee" toss......I too have never seen a slow stick launced with a "back hand" flick by the wing....but I have seen dozens of them thrown forward by the wings and even just launched, being held at the stick vertically, with plenty of throttle.......I'ts really not that unique or difficult to do...even for a bigginer......;)

hayofstacks 03-14-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 942445)
Some good tips and some that do not work for everyone......my two Pipers will attest to that (whats left of them).......thus ROG for me, even if the surface I launch from is questionable......:rolleyes:

Yeah, lots of beginners have a hard time hand launching ;).

pizzano 03-15-2014 12:22 AM

"Some good tips and some that do not work for everyone......my two Pipers will attest to that (whats left of them).......thus ROG for me, even if the surface I launch from is questionable......:rolleyes:.."

This statement should be qualified by also pointing out that a beginner pilot (a pilot with very little actual flying experince), may need to consider whether or not his actual flying skills will meet the challenge to include hand launching....since, one would not only be new at actual flight but will also compound the new experience with another skill that must be developed properly to accomplish both with success.......

To also include, one may be new to or have little experience hand launching does not mean they are new to the flying experience, both exercises require a seperate skill set and having flying experience does not translate into being able to have continued success at hand launching..... But, becoming experienced at the hand launching technique, it could enhance the flying experience.......there will be far less success experienced by both the beginner pilot who is also new to hand launching.....not so vice-versa.

From personal experience, it took two Pipers and quite a few hours of hand launching before this experienced pilot became proficient at hand launching (with complete confidence and 100% control)...but, neither of the Pipers were extremely powered (no vertical launch capability) and after-all, they were just your run-of-the-mill park flyers with typical Piper Cub tendencies.......I guess if they were powered sufficiently any one could have hand launched them vertically......:D

hayofstacks 03-15-2014 12:36 AM

Yeah, since a stock brushed slow stick with a tiny battery was vertically launched only with power. another mistake beginners make a lot.

Wrongway-Feldman 03-15-2014 04:34 PM

I find the biggest mistake most flyers new to hand launching make is launching with a wide open throttle. This just leads to too many planes rolling to one side upon leaving the hand and not having enough time to get their fingers on the sticks to correct the flight path.
As a rule of thumb a hand launched plane simply does not need as much power as a ROG take off to attain flight.

pizzano 03-15-2014 06:23 PM

I just came back from stretching the legs on the Tiger Moth and Albatros (no hand launching these....lol) and there were a couple of guys down the field from us "learning" how to hand launch a few pushers (they looked like the Sky Surfers) and a small-ish P-51.......I say "learning" due to the amount of tries they appeared to attempt (one guy was "throwing" while the other was on the sticks)......one of the pushers was clearly motor mod, the others (2) appeared to be stock.

Since I was taking a break, I watched for a bit.......they seemed to be experienced pilots, once they got airbourn.....but they had fits launching the mod-ed pusher and the P-51......kept trying the full throttle routine at different angles......so, after having wittnessed several turf bitters, my buddy and I strolled over and introduced ourselves, (since they had been watching us practicing formation with the bi-wings). We looked over the pusher they were attempting and determined all was in order (minus a few pieces of belly foam) and suggested a few angles of attack and reducing the throttle.......it wasn't long (two attempts) before both of them got the pusher up and stable.......the P-51 batteries had nothing left, so, that was benched.

Like Feldman stated.....(and listening to these guys mention that they were told that having more throttle is better).......it's not always the amount of vertical the craft can quickly achieve that makes the difference when hand launching (although, on some models it can help like the P-51)......in their case, the "throwing" method and throttle management made the biggest difference........

At least they both were pretty nice guys and thanked us for helping.....before the batteries were done and not to much damage was suffered on the fairly new planes.......to add, we both mentioned that we don't fly craft without wheels and rarely hand launch anything we own.....they acknowledged that, but were dying to try the method with their belly crashers (without gear)......:rolleyes:

hayofstacks 03-15-2014 09:57 PM

I only hand launch when the grass is too high. a rog take off isn't generally any different from flying the plane. and its really not all that often you have to do that when you can take off and land in the space of a single parking stall.


obviously not every park flyer can do this, but its one of the games me and my dad play a lot where we fly. I can do it with the mini ultra stick as well, but it needs a bit of a headwind to get off the ground fast enough. maybe ill try turning the esc over to a fast start to see if it gets off the ground quicker.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.25867 seconds with 19 queries