WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Charger question (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73363)

Brewerpaul 03-17-2014 02:37 PM

Charger question

I know this belongs on the Charger/battery subforum but when I tried to post it there, nothing happened :confused:. I hope it posts here...
After not flying for several years, I ordered a Hawk Sky which should arrive today. I also ordered a second battery, same as the original: 11.1V1800Ma LiPo. The RTF plane comes with a Dynam 3 Cell standard Li-po charger.
From my flying past, I have a Hextronic HX8080 charger/balancer. Rather than charge in my car I got a wall powered power source which was adapted from a computer power supply by adding a cigarette lighter style socket. This was made for me by a member of another forum and it worked fine for the NiMH batteries I was using then.
Is there any reason I can't use this for current LiPOs? It should work, but LiPos make me a bit nervous. Thanks

JetPlaneFlyer 03-17-2014 02:46 PM

As long as your actual charger is suitable for LiPo batteries and it requires 12V DC input then it should run fine off your converted PC power supply.

If the charger was a high power type then the PC power supply might not be up to the job, but in this case it should be fine.

Wrongway-Feldman 03-17-2014 04:09 PM

That model was made for balance charging lipo's. Do a search on Google and you will find a ton of info to help you out.

flydiver 03-17-2014 04:54 PM

It will work fine as long as the balance taps fit, they should.
That charger does not charge as fast as the specs indicate (about 30%) slower, and it does not charge up to 4.2v/cell, more like 4.1-4.15. None of this is a real problem. I've used one routinely for several years.
Noisy fan.

Wildflyer 03-17-2014 05:01 PM

With 3s or 4s packs you can only charge 1 at a time.
With 2s you can charge 2 equal size packs at a time.
It can be set for 0.5-2.0 amps output, check your batteries for charge rate, if no info about hi-rate charging, set it to the mah size of the battery or less. IE a 850mah bat. should charge at 0.5 a, and a 2100 mah would charge at 2 a.

I had a similar charger, mine told me that when charging 2 packs at once, they should be in about the same state of discharge.

And like Wrongway-Feldman said, you can find a lot of info for it, by Googling Hextronic HX8080

And welcome back to flying.

flydiver 03-17-2014 05:37 PM

Since it charges slowly anyway I've found no problem at running it at 1.5-2C.
When doing 2S x 2 it handles them independently. I generally do charge similar size batteries in pairs but they are often not even closely matched for charge and do fine.

Brewerpaul 03-25-2014 11:38 PM

Is there any way I can use this charger to discharge batteries? Probably not, since it doesn't say so. If not, what's a safe,cheap way to do it?

fhhuber 03-25-2014 11:47 PM

Safest (for the battery) cheap way to discharge is plug it into the model and run the motor.

Tie the tail to a post and let her rip.

DHC Beaver 03-26-2014 12:07 AM

The computer power supply will be fine as a power source,as long as it provides something like 5 amps or more on the 12volt output.Some older ones don't,but I'm using 3 of these units ranging from 8 to 18 amps,and they work perfectly well.
I'm not familiar with the actual charger you mention,but the average 4-button li-po charger is not that expensive anyway.And they usually have balancing and discharge functions built in.
I can highly recommend the Icharger B106,it 's a bit better than the Turnigy chargers from Hobbyking.Having said that,I also use 2 Turnigy ones,and they work ok too.

FlyWheel 03-26-2014 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 943614)
Safest (for the battery) cheap way to discharge is plug it into the model and run the motor.

Tie the tail to a post and let her rip.

Assuming the battery is not damaged and just old/no longer holding charge then instead of throwing it away why not retire it to shop use, testing setups and such that don't need long runtimes?

hayofstacks 03-26-2014 02:36 AM

Get a cheap low voltage alarm/battery checker. then solder a light bulb or two to a discharge plug, and let it sit on the table while your watching tv or whatever.