WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   ODB VI September 20th 2014 (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   ODB VI September 20th 2014 (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73435)

1987tc 03-27-2014 04:38 AM

ODB VI September 20th 2014

7 Attachment(s)
Well we are starting to plan for ODB VI. One thing that is going to be different is the location!
We are no longer going to be in Holdenville. It has been great there.
But time for a change.
We will now be in Henryetta at the airport there. It has a nice smooth freshly surfaced ramp and runway.

One big advantage beside the airport being in better condition is the location. Henryetta is located on I40 where it meets with hwy 75. Much easier to get to.
Stay tuned!

CrimzonRider 03-27-2014 04:08 PM

Looks like an Great site, Wes!
Going to be planting canola earlier this fall,
so I hope to be finished before ODB VI.

I see the puddles:cool:.....starting out to be a true DB year out west!:blah:

have a good one
Christopher

1987tc 03-27-2014 04:21 PM

Thanks Christopher,
They city seems like they will get behind the fly in more then the other did.
There is a gate that separates the paved area from the parking lot. So it will make it much easier to control access. And the airport will be closed to full scale traffic for the fly in.
There are more options for motels etc in Henryetta so that opens up choices for people. and of course they can camp at the airport. I am going to see if I can find some shots of the airport from above to post. I am excited about the possibilities here.

1987tc 03-30-2014 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the airport from the air.

1987tc 04-19-2014 06:08 PM

I met with the airport manager the other day. Like the City manager he is all for the fly in at the airport. In addition I also got permission to fly at the airport on a regular basis. And not just me. He will allow a group to fly there. So if you are anywhere near Henryetta and want a great place to fly get in touch with me!

Also I need to know of anyone who wants to be involved with the fly in this year.
In any way. I can use a lot of help!
This is a new location with a new layout. We have a great opportunity here. They are interested in the event. And making it a permanent event here. So we have a chance to really grow it.
The location is much better for people from Tulsa OKC and other areas like Shawnee and Checotah too. So We should be able to have a better turn out. It is easier to get to the airport here. Camping will be permitted as well.

I also would like to hear from anyone who is want to attend. I am going to work on getting Tee Shirts made again. Maybe hats too. Something I am also looking at that will be new is a front License plate with the fly in logo on it. Or perhaps a license plate frame. Any thoughts?
Wes

1987tc 04-29-2014 08:43 PM

An open letter about the fly in.

Hello Everyone,
I am sending this to all the friends of the fly in. To those who have come every year I want to thank you for your support of the event.
And to those who donate too. You help make the event possible. And you are helping to find a cure for a diseases that effects so many people.

And to those who help staff and run the event a heartfelt thanks! Your help means more than you can know! And it could not happen with out you!
We are getting ready to hold ODB VI. This year we have a new home and I am excited about the move! We have the go ahead from the city of Henryetta to use the airport there for the event.
The location is great located on a few miles from the intersection of I40 and hwy 75. This more central location I am sure will make attending the event a lot easier and more convenient for more people.
The surface of the pavement at the airport is much smoother and in a lot better shape then what we had in Holdenville. The airport there was a great place to hold the fly in. But Henryetta will be even better!
There will be a NOTAM posted to advize the local pilots of th event. And this year AMA membership will be required to fly at the event.
I also have the permission of the airport management to fly there on a regular basis. Again AMA will be required. And a spotter will be needed. But that is something well worth it to have the use of the airport.
We need to have a planning meeting soon. There is a lot to work out. Not the least of which is the layout for the fly in. Pit and flight line locations etc.
Camping will be permitted at the airport. And there are several motels in town. There is also a couple of lakes and parks there for family member to enjoy. Along with several resteraunts. I am working to get bbq at the fly in again. And also looking into having shave ice or ice cream available there.

I am thinking of getting Tee shirts and maybe hats done again. So your thoughts on that would be appreciated.
I also need to start emailing vendors and donors for this year. And would appreciate any help that you can provide.
We have the opportunity here to really grow the event. There is a lot of room here. And we have the support of the city and airport management like we never have had before.

I am also going to check into doing indoor flying at the new gym at the local high school. My understanding is they have a concession stand inside the gym. So That could work out great for them and us!
Please feel free to contact me with any thoughts or questions you have.
My new cell is 918-601-6062.
Thanks again for your support!
Wes Arnett
Oklahoma Dustbowl fly in for MS research

1987tc 05-09-2014 02:03 PM

Ok Here is some news about the fly in. First Castle Creations is on board again as a donor. I got a nice email wanting to confirm the mailing address for the fly in the year.
And of course the always generous Buzz is on board too! Thanks Buzz and Castle Creations!
There is also a local loan company that is wanting to donate money to the fly in and help with a banner. The local location is donating and talking to their corporate office about doing much more.

I also talked to the local newspaper and they are excited about the event. They asked me to prepare a news release talking about the fly in. And also I mentioned that I would like to get a club formed here. We have permission to use the airport for flying on a regular basis so a club makes sense. They want to help promote that too.
In addition to promoting the new club and the fly in. They also came up with a great idea that has not been done before!

In the past they have done a separate publication talking about an event or whats new going on in the area or New things to do in Henryetta.
Well they want to do that with the fly in.
It would be about only the fly in. And would be included as an insert with the newspaper. Kind of like the Parade magazine that gets put in the Sunday newspaper in some towns.
I hope I am making this clear with my description. They are really going to help with promoting the event.

If you would like to help with information or pictures that I can give them to be included please contact me!

Thanks again to all who make the fly in successful each year!
Wes

Don Sims 05-28-2014 03:39 AM

Wes, what's the dates? Am I missing them?

1987tc 05-28-2014 05:36 AM

I thought I posted it! But I guess not! It is the weekend of September 20th. The local businesses are starting to come on board and things are looking very good!! Castle Creations has already sent a donation. I need to get a ton of emails sent.

I have a young couple here that are helping a ton. And are also wanting to both earn to fly. He works for Coke and is going to try and get them to chip in.
We have Adam again doing the BBQ this year too.

One thought I wanted feedback on. What would the thoughts be on raffling off a flight in a ( maybe Vintage) full scale airplane ?
Wes

dahawk 05-28-2014 11:37 AM

Wes,

I'll see if I can round up some fellow North Texans. Had a lot of fun a couple of years ago.

Hawk

1987tc 05-28-2014 01:36 PM

That would be great! And this new location is going to work out very well I know. Easier to get to. And in better condition. Town is a bit bigger too. I am very optimistic about making this our permanent home for the fly in. Holdenville was great to us. Henryetta is going to be even better!

1987tc 06-02-2014 09:35 PM

Looking for a Cd for the event.

I just renewed my AMA membership. And they are also sending me information on charting a club here.
So I will be adding people as members of that club and also of course sending those who are not already here to rcgroups and wattflyer too.
I will be giving them information on joining the AMA.
We are also going to be be needing a Contest Director for the event.
Is anyone who is coming to the event already a CD?
Or know of someone who is?
We could sure use your help!
Wes

1987tc 06-14-2014 05:46 PM

I have been invited to speak to the local Lions Club in Henryetta on July 15th. The newspaper is going to be there taking pictures and doing an article on that and the fly in.
The person who asked me to speak says they are expecting around 25 business owners to be there. And he said he expects all of them will want to e a part of the fly in. local support is rapidly growing and expanding. And this looks great for this year and following years for the event.
Also hearing from more and more local flyers. And It looks like we will have a good start on forming a club too.
Wes

1987tc 06-17-2014 03:03 PM

There will be a meet and great and planning meeting for the new club at Chair Crushers in Henryetta, Oklahoma Friday at 7:00 pm.
Nothing fancy just to get the ball rolling on forming the club. If you are not yet an AMA member I will have AMA membership applications with me. Just ask.
Chair crushers in next to the Shell gas station at the exit on the West and of town for Henryetta.
If you are not sure how to get there text or call me.
Wes

1987tc 06-19-2014 08:31 PM

A quick reminder and open invitation to anyone interested in r/c the fly in for MS or just meeting some fellow r/c fliers. We are having a meeting at 7 pm at Chair Crushers in Henryetta < Oklahoma tomorrow evening to start forming the new club. Please feel free to join us!!

max2112 06-22-2014 04:58 PM

Wes,
At 2 1/2 hours from Ft Sill, I really hope to make it up for the event in September.

I would be pitching a tent at the airport itself. Is there a separate fee for that?

Also, as September gets closer I will try and definitely lock in whether I am attending or not. Being in the Army doesn't always make for a dependable schedule. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I will see you there.

John

1987tc 06-22-2014 05:30 PM

Hi John,
I hope you can make it! No extra charge for camping with a tent. Just your landing fee and the 999,998,346,934 raffle tickets you buy is it! ;)
Wes

1987tc 07-01-2014 12:26 AM

Prize Donation

I received a box from Tru Turn the spinner people today. Nice donation. Thanks Tru Turn!!

1987tc 07-22-2014 08:52 PM

I am not feeling well today. Been not so great lately. But I wanted to give an update on the fly in.
We are not going to be using the airport after all.
The reason? Because the city of Henryetta has given us long term use of a plot of land. 72 acres worth!
They are clearing and moving grass. We will have two runways roughly 500' long by anout 60' wide. They will be grass. I flew out of there. There is unbelievable room out there! I flew off of a dirt road that is there now. I did not even fly to the edges of the property and had way more room than I needed. we can fly ANY size airplane out there. There are two treees they are taking out for us. Other than those there is nothing overhead to worry about clear all around. About 2 miles from 3 nice motels. And places to eat ect.

The city is taking the event to heart. They are officially endorsing it.
They are supplying port a johns for the event. Once of which is handicap .
There will be live streaming video of the event online. They have invited us to be in the parade for Labor Day.
They are looking about getting interviews set up on 3 tv stations. And one radio station.
We have the use of the field starting now to fly on.
They are also helping us with the formation of the club we want here.

There is way to much going on to post now ( I need to rest) but lets put it this way. They are enthusiastically supporting and endorsing and promoting the event. And are coming up al he time with more things they want to do. Each time I ask for something they say Yes. But not just yes. But yes and lets do more and more to help. It is overwhelming the way they are stepping up. They want to event to be permanent and bigger and better every year!
I will post more when I am up to it.
Wes

1987tc 08-09-2014 09:45 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...37767033_n.jpg

1987tc 08-09-2014 09:46 PM

The first banner is up near the entrance to the industrial park now. More will follow as we get closer to the event.

1987tc 08-09-2014 11:29 PM

Sponsors

We are getting great support from the local businesses as well as the city of Henryetta. I can not stress enough how much they are behind this event. To have them officially endorse the event means a lot.
I am meeting with Hobbytown in Tulsa monday to talk about them coming on board. They have expressed a strong interest.

We have a Club trainer and fly in demonstrator that was donated by the World Acceptance Corporation loan company. They have provided us with a Parkzone Sport Cub. Brand new.
I have one of my own and it is one of the easiest to fly models I have ever flown.
First Family trust has also come on board ( also in Hneryetta) as a sponsor. And there are others I am meeting with.
They have big plans for improvements to this site. As well as a site for float flying nearby.

If anyone nearby has some time and is willing to help. I could use some help attending meetings with sponsors and the city. it is getting to be a LOT to handle. But for all the right reasons!
Wes

1987tc 08-14-2014 10:52 PM

Meeting.

1 Attachment(s)
We will be holding a meeting of our new club at the Days Inn Henryetta on August 22nd at 8 pm. in the conference room ask at the desk and they can show you where it is. Please reply or message me if you think you are going to attend! Any and all interested in R/c flying are invited! Spread the word!! The more people know about this the better!!
Wes

1987tc 08-17-2014 09:32 PM

Prizes have started coming in.
We have prizes from the following so far: Callie Graphics, Servo City. US Cellular in Henryetta,Castle Creations, and more to come!

1987tc 08-22-2014 06:25 PM

I wanted to make sure anyone who might be interested knows about what is going on in Henryetta.
As some may know we have moved the Dustblowl fly in to Henryetta, Oklahoma.
They city has enthusiastically embraced not just the event. But r/c flying in general. They are not just allowing r/c flying. They WANT it there!

We have been given the use of a 72 acre industrial park just off of hwy 75 doe our club field and also the site for the event too.
The kubota dealer in Okmulgee and the city are getting the field prepared for flying.
We will have a roughly 400'x 100' grass runway to fly from. They are also talking about letting us use the large new gym at the high school for indoor flying.
The city and businesses there have been very welcoming.

We are having a club meeting at the Days Inn in Henryetta Friday evening at 8 pm in the conference room. They are giving us the use of this room for our regular monthly meetings.

I want to invite anyone and everyone that would like to come to attend. We are wanting to make this club and this field a fun place to be and fly!
Come and meet some new friends and help us make this as great as it can be!
Wes