WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   The mystery of the Optic6... (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73441)

FlyWheel 03-27-2014 10:47 PM

The mystery of the Optic6...

On Hitec's webpage they clearly highlight the 'fact' that this 2.4GHz transmitter can also be used for 72MHz with the simple attachment of a special module in the back! http://hitecrcd.com/products/aircraf...-radio/product This and the seemingly simple operation of this TX has me intrigued, yet I cannot find it. Anywhere!
  • Those places that sell it make no mention of it's dual frequency capabilities or of the module.
  • Those that do mention this capability say it's been discontinued, yet there it is, plain as day on Hitec's own website! And no, it is not included in their discontinued list (the Optic6 sport is).

Anyone know what the :censor:'s going on? CAN this 2.4 transmitter be purchased with 72MHz capability or not?

tobydogs 03-28-2014 03:54 AM

i bought for my first comp TX the optic 6 with the spectrum module, i then used a hobbyking "assan" 2.4 module for years before it started glitching. like your finding out,this optic 6 is now discontinued i thought the sports are still available. i wound up finding a new optic 6 with the 2.4 module and switched out 18 assan rxs with optimum 6 and 7 channel rx's. i wish i knew then what i know now....don't go knockoff 2.4 parts for a good tx.

after buying the new optic 6, i got the eclipse 7 due to 16 model memory. it's already full and i have a few planes waiting for another 3pack of rx's....it can wait:rolleyes:. if i did buy more rx's, I'd use the optic 6 as my knock around tx and fly those old birds. problem is i am spending way to much time and money on this hobby and my dogs:blah:.

servo city say this about the optic 6...

http://www.servocity.com/assets/imag...attery_out.jpg
The Optic 6 2.4 GHz computer aircraft radio system is considered one of the most value packed radios on the market today. This sophisticated radio features an 8-model memory.
Price:
$109.99
Part:
SC8060
Discontinued by Manf.
Transmitter:

Optic 6 2.4GHz Tx

Dave180 03-28-2014 04:02 AM

The only optic radio left is optic5. All the rest are discontinued.

http://hitecrcd.com/files/2014_HRU_Catalog-Opt.pdf

FlyWheel 03-29-2014 12:24 AM

Frak! why is it the good stuff always goes away while the patently impractical never dies? :mad:

FlyWheel 03-29-2014 02:24 PM

I don't suppose anyone has one they're thinking of letting go ????

tobydogs 03-29-2014 02:34 PM

i would let the first one i bought go,but you need to have hitec service it for assurance purposes. and that would take time and they might not have parts they stated in one of my communication with them. i also would want to keep the spectrum module for the 72 channel planes hanging on the wall as art work.:red:

flywheel,move up into the eclipse 7 pro. buy a 3 pack of rxs,and tell your wife you just bought your own Christmas present for 2014[and maybe your birthday if needed...lol:Q].

FlyWheel 03-29-2014 02:56 PM

I looked at the E7. WA-AY too complex for my simple means. Hell, the O6 was too, but nowhere near as bad, and of course the fact that I could also use it on my current RXs was a plus. The only reason I was considering a 2.4 at all was because I know 72 stuff is becoming an endangered species.

tobydogs 03-29-2014 07:56 PM

flywheel,

at first i thought the same way regarding switching tx's,truth is it's as simple as the optic 6 programing and i really like that the screen is on top. i don't look down at the tx when flying and trimming buttons are easy to find. but when doing setups the screen on top is easy to read and it's backlite is so brite that when night flying it was a distraction..lol. stu

FlyWheel 03-30-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobydogs (Post 943954)
flywheel,

at first i thought the same way regarding switching tx's,truth is it's as simple as the optic 6 programing and i really like that the screen is on top. i don't look down at the tx when flying and trimming buttons are easy to find. but when doing setups the screen on top is easy to read and it's backlite is so brite that when night flying it was a distraction..lol. stu

I'm just talking about all the extra BS it has that I won't need. Heck, my Flash5X has more than I need! :roll::Q

Panther 04-09-2014 11:03 AM

I bought the Optic 6 about 6 years ago as a 36mHz unit. In between building a new home, selling and buying again, it sat for a while and then I started using it again. It was fine for 12 months or so and then the receiver lost range so I dropped the FrSky module into it. It was like a brand new radio again. I use it now mostly for gliders and Quads and my other FrSky unit (9X) for sport and scale stuff.
The Optic 6 is a great little TX and ergonomically suits me well.
I am sure you could pick up a second hand one as there are a lot of them out there. The later ones came out as a 2.4 gHz unit but could be back converted if you could find a module.
I doubt you could use my 36 mHz module over there but receivers can still be obtained easily.
Personally, I was pleased to see the last of that long antenna.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...ps52808b4d.jpg

A.T. 04-10-2014 03:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 943781)
On Hitec's webpage they clearly highlight the 'fact' that this 2.4GHz transmitter can also be used for 72MHz with the simple attachment of a special module in the back! http://hitecrcd.com/products/aircraf...-radio/product This and the seemingly simple operation of this TX has me intrigued, yet I cannot find it. Anywhere!Those places that sell it make no mention of it's dual frequency capabilities or of the module.
Those that do mention this capability say it's been discontinued, yet there it is, plain as day on Hitec's own website! And no, it is not included in their discontinued list (the Optic6 sport is).Anyone know what the 's going on?
Can this 2.4 transmitter be purchased with 72MHz capability or not?

Yes, but most likely as 2nd hand only as it has been superseded by the Laser 7 & 8
which have telemetry, faster 4096 resolution and SLT transmission.
However, the Optic 6 was the best in it's price range and I still use one:

. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ

With regard to Modules, the Optic 6 can handle the various types available:
The Synthesised Spectra is as per manual attached.
The HP-MIM is crystal based and has a lower current draw, refer :
. Hitec - Spectra Synthesised PLL Module FAQ - 35Mhz < 72MHz
extract:
"Spectra Synthesized (PLL) Module - previous FAQ

Q. What is the Spectra module?
A. It is a PLL (Phase Lock Loop) module that can synthesize any legal channel on either 72 or 75MHz depending on the version.

Q. What radios will the spectra module fit in?
A. The 24472 (72MHZ version) will work with the Prism 7, Prism 7X and Eclipse 7 aircraft radios.
The 24475 (75MHz version) will work with the Lynx 3D and CRX pistol grip radio.

Q. I have seen people using the Spectra module in some Futaba™ radios, does this work and is it legal?
A. Hitec recommends the Spectra module only be used in Hitec radios but many are using it successfully in some Futaba products against our recommendation.
The FCC and AMA do not authorize its usage in anything other than Hitec radios.

Q. My Spectra module gets very warm when I use it, is that normal?
A. Yes, that is perfectly normal.
The Spectra Module draws more current than a standard module theredore it gets warmer and drains the transmitter battery quicker.

Q. Why is my transmitter still not working with my receiver after I have dialed my Spectra to the correct channel?
A. Make sure that you have the correct 1st and 2nd digit for the channel dialed into the Spectra correctly.
Also, in the case of the Eclipse, Optic 6 and Prism 7X, make sure that the transmitter is on the correct shift (negative or positive)
and the correct modulation (PPM or PCM)."

The AFHSS Spectra 2.4 Ghz is well documented:
AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers Receivers Telemetry, - FAQ, Setups & Tips

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

tarheal63 04-10-2014 04:18 AM

The mystery of the Optic6...

I too still have an Optic 6 with spectra module. I use it on my high flyers as I trust it long range more than my dx7. Great radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyWheel 04-10-2014 02:00 PM

Thank for the info, I bought a used one with both modules (2.4 & 72) from a member on RCGroups. I use CC Berg receivers which I believe automatically detect the shift of the transmitter upon power-up as well as the other individual characteristics of your TX's signals (the precursor of binding)*. Or rather I did use Berg receivers; I'm installing my last one in the plane I'm building now. Castle has discontinued the entire line, which is one of the things that got me thinking I better start looking for a un-bloated 2.4. Finding one that could also handle my older planes was a plus.

*Which I why I liked them so.

PS. I seem to remember reading that HiTec and Futaba transmitters are actually made by the same company.

A.T. 04-10-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 945064)
Thank for the info, I bought a used one with both modules (2.4 & 72) from a member on RCGroups. I use CC Berg receivers which I believe automatically detect the shift of the transmitter upon power-up as well as the other individual characteristics of your TX's signals (the precursor of binding)*. Or rather I did use Berg receivers; I'm installing my last one in the plane I'm building now. Castle has discontinued the line, which is one of the things that got me thinking I better start looking for a un-bloated 2.4. Finding one that could also handle my older planes was a plus.
*Which I why I liked them so.
PS. I seem to remember reading that HiTec and Futaba transmitters are actually made by the same company.

Negative, Futaba did use some intellectual property owned by Hitec but processed their own manufacturing in separate facilities, refer:
.Servo - Horn Arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility
extract:
"Hitec products not assembled in Korea, are assembled in Hitec RCD's own factory in the Philippines where all senior
supervisory staff are seconded from Korea so quality control, unlike the other major brands
which OEM to other brand factories, is secure.
Hitec RCD Korea and Hitec RCD Philippines background information, Factory Photos & Videos of production line.
Futaba made in the Doube-Leaf factory in Kaohsiung, Taiwan with many servo now
being made in a new Guangdong China (Mainland) factory.
Acoms, Sanwa (aka Airtronics), JR and earlier Spektrum assembled in Bandai's factory in Malaysia.
JR & Spektrum OEM with other brand name web pages under "Country Lists" at

Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan Tong

FlyWheel 04-11-2014 02:54 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I do know that they are similar in a lot of things, that's probably why.

axljackass 07-03-2014 06:30 AM

how far is the range for 2.4ghz module for hitec optic?Im flying my bixler1 until LOS above my head just incase it might lose the signal