WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spektrum DX6 Anyone ? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73506)

Karnsy 04-06-2014 01:54 PM

Spektrum DX6 Anyone ?

Anyone thinking about getting the new DX6 ?
Looks like a pretty good deal even though you have to pick a receiver with it. I have a DX6i that does the job for me right now where I'm at but the additional options on the DX6 make it tempting. Thoughts :confused::confused::confused:

CHELLIE 04-06-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karnsy (Post 944687)
Anyone thinking about getting the new DX6 ?
Looks like a pretty good deal even though you have to pick a receiver with it. I have a DX6i that does the job for me right now where I'm at but the additional options on the DX6 make it tempting. Thoughts :confused::confused::confused:

You may want to wait before buying it, 1st generation Transmitters tend to have Bugs in them, i waited before buying my DX6i, glad i did, 1st generation DX6i Had Bugs and they had to be sent back for repair. You do what you want, If it was me, I would wait and see if there are bugs that need to be Addressed.

Karnsy 04-06-2014 02:10 PM

Hi CHELLIE,

I actually agree with you on the first gen.....
I also wonder if they will sometime down the road offer it all by itself ;)

JetPlaneFlyer 04-06-2014 03:25 PM

As this isnt the 'first generation' of the DX6 but is actually the third (original DX6 was first, DX6i second and now the new DX6 is third) and much of the software and hardware is straight from the other current Spektrum line I personally wouldn't have any hesitation in getting it if that's what I wanted.

You might get better deals by waiting until the rush dies down though.

dahawk 04-06-2014 03:43 PM

I wouldn't hesitate either. I think the firmware and software are basically the same as the DX9 which has been out there a year now. 3 less channels and a slightly different case. Andy Kuntz from HH might chime in here but the DX9 was one of the best product releases ever. I love how it talks to you. I made the switch from Futaba and have not looked back.

xmech2k 04-06-2014 05:52 PM

:rolleyes: Andy Kunz. Sorry, usually I don't do this, but I thought it's worth pointing out.

And I'm taking the plunge, sort of. Awaiting my pre-ordered Dx18 Gen2. :D

That Dx6 looks fantastic. Way ahead of the 6i, and I think way ahead of the competition.

Chucksolo69 04-07-2014 05:04 PM

I plan on getting the new DX6 as my primary backup to my DX9 and selling my DX8. I hope files are interchangeable between the two as they are with the DX9 and DX18. As far as first generation TXs go, I have yet to have an issue with my DX9.

kyleservicetech 04-07-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 944698)
I wouldn't hesitate either. I think the firmware and software are basically the same as the DX9 which has been out there a year now. 3 less channels and a slightly different case. Andy Kuntz from HH might chime in here but the DX9 was one of the best product releases ever. I love how it talks to you. I made the switch from Futaba and have not looked back.

Yeah
I suspect Spektrum does a LOT of testing of their new product lines before releasing it for shipping.

Wonder how much of that is done by those places that sell their radios for far less????

Siberianhusky 04-07-2014 08:30 PM

I'm kind of in the situation you are, I have a DX6i that does what I need it to.
Any particular reason you are sticking with the 6 channels and not moving up to 9?
I'm thinking about the 9 to give me some more room to grow so to speak. Haven't been flying for very long, not sure where I'm going with it yet.
Originally bought the DX6i for sailboats, decided since I had the radio I'd try a plane and really enjoyed it.
One of the main reasons for the new radio is I'd like to be able to sail two sailboats from the full sized one when anchored.
If people didn't know, the air radios bind to the marine 3 channel waterproof rxs no problem, full range dual antennae, perfect for a 3 channel float plane. They will not bind to the car surface rx's though. Only the pistol grip radios bind to those.

JetPlaneFlyer 04-07-2014 10:00 PM

yes, these days it is relatively easy to 'bust' 6 channels, even with quite normal models.

For instance a WWII warbird with retracts and flaps:

Throttle, elevator, rudder, flaps and retract - 1 channel each (5 in total)
Dual Aileron servos - 2 channels

So that's seven channels for a normal foamy warbird. Yes you could get away with six if you use a Y-lead on aileron but already you are compromising. Then some have bomb drops etc.....

Collective helis need at least six channels just to fly (3x cyclic plus 1x rudder, throttle and gyro gain respectively) but some FBL controllers use channel 7 for the gyro input, meaning a seven channel Tx is preferred.

The old adage is as good today as it ever was... Buy the best Tx you can stretch to.