WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Connector Types (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73545)

garyp1029 04-10-2014 11:22 PM

Connector Types

Confused again. Decided on an ICharger 106B+ charger/power source combination offer from Progressive. But wanting to also get a parallel charge board, I discovered that Progressive offers 15 different ones based on the type of connector. WOW!!! My E-Flite Apprentice 3200 batteries take an EC3. HobbyKing batteries seem to mostly JST-XH. Then there is the T-Plug! What is to be done?
It appears that I would be wise to buy a soldering iron, pick ONE type of connector, and convert all future batteries to one type. But which one?
Any and all suggestion would be much appreciated. Gary in Tucson

P.S.--The JST-XH and EC3 connectors appear to be the same. Are they the same?

fhhuber 04-11-2014 12:36 AM

You will find people who like each type of connector. Any that is used correctly will be fine.

I went with the polarized 4mm bullets as in the red plastic housing on Sky LiPo and Turnigy LiPo batteries since I buy only the Sky Lipo batteries now.
Mainly I did't want to be soldering on the battery's leads. Its safer to solder on the ESC (no chance of a short while soldering).

kyleservicetech 04-11-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyp1029 (Post 945125)
Confused again. Decided on an ICharger 106B+ charger/power source combination offer from Progressive. But wanting to also get a parallel charge board, I discovered that Progressive offers 15 different ones based on the type of connector. WOW!!! My E-Flite Apprentice 3200 batteries take an EC3. HobbyKing batteries seem to mostly JST-XH. Then there is the T-Plug! What is to be done?
It appears that I would be wise to buy a soldering iron, pick ONE type of connector, and convert all future batteries to one type. But which one?
Any and all suggestion would be much appreciated. Gary in Tucson

P.S.--The JST-XH and EC3 connectors appear to be the same. Are they the same?

You are going to get a lot of suggestions on which is the better connector for our electric model airplanes.

As for me, I've standardized on those Anderson Power Pole connectors, ever since starting to fly electric models. FYI, at work, we used those "Original" APP connectors by the thousands every month, and had virtually zero problems with them. By "original", the APP connectors now popularly available are an obviously lower quality than the units we used at work.

This thread describes the difference: (If the specs don't indicate 0.035 inch thick contacts, they're the cheaper connectors.)
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539

When you dig down into the various connectors available, Allied also sells these connectors in different colors. Might be useful for some model airplanes. Be sure to check the specs and drawings on the different color housings. The $1.40 housings are for a much much larger connector, that can handle up to #4 copper stranded wire.

NO one else besides Allied Electronics stocks this exact terminal. The other suppliers stock the APP connectors, and even use the same Mfg number as Allied. But the other suppliers are using a lower quality terminal.
I had one of those lower quality terminals melt out while carrying a constant 45 Amps for 15 minutes. The other end of the same wire had the Allied connector, no problem what so ever.

Nice thing about those APP connectors, they don't require soldering. The terminals are simply crimped into place, and snapped into the housing. After you've done a couple of them, a connector can be assembled in less than a minute.

You will need a crimper for these terminals. Lots of people, including me use this one. It works very well.

http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-to...Fe1DMgodNzsAqA

pizzano 04-11-2014 01:51 AM

Here's an interesting link to the DEAN vs. APP connector debate:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t659659p1/

Everyone has a favorite.....but when you get up into the higher watts and amps the selection starts to narrow dramatically......;)

thepiper92 04-11-2014 02:13 AM

I like XT60 connectors myself. I used power pole on my rc cars, they are annoying to get together and apart, but work well. I then went to EC5. For planes, just XT60.

pmullen503 04-11-2014 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 945131)

Mainly I did't want to be soldering on the battery's leads. Its safer to solder on the ESC (no chance of a short while soldering).

+1 on that.

Unless you are running kW setups or making your own batteries, pick the style used by your favorite battery supplier and standardize on that.

kyleservicetech 04-11-2014 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmullen503 (Post 945146)
+1 on that.

Unless you are running kW setups or making your own batteries, pick the style used by your favorite battery supplier and standardize on that.

For those that are running 150 Amps or more, check out those APP series II connectors. These use a much heavier terminal that measures 0.048 inches thick. IMHO, don't buy the crimping type though, the crimper for those units might run $1000 or so.

Here is the solder type terminal:
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70086987

And the PDF catalog page for these connectors:
http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?fn=1144.pdf

Caution though, those series II connectors are twice as long as Series I, twice and wide and twice as high. So a complete assembly with the required connector for the battery and connector for the ESC would be some 3 1/2 inches long. (Yup, I used some of those to parallel connect a pair of 120 Amp Hour marine batteries for my Cellpro Powerlab 8 chargers.)

kyleservicetech 04-11-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 945138)
Here's an interesting link to the DEAN vs. APP connector debate:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t659659p1/

Everyone has a favorite.....but when you get up into the higher watts and amps the selection starts to narrow dramatically......;)

Yeah
I've seen that video before. Pushing over 300 Amps through those connectors is testing to destruction! I've got the capability of pushing 1000 Amps through those connectors. That should make for a lot of instant smoke!

What I've always wondered about is the solder connection to the Deans plug, where the wire is "Flat Soldered" to the Deans connection. The high current is flowing entirely through that solder used for the connection. And solder is not the best of conductors. If that connection ever gets to hot, the solder simply lets go.

Deans is a very common connector though, and is widely used in a lot of electric model airplanes.

thepiper92 04-11-2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 945131)
You will find people who like each type of connector. Any that is used correctly will be fine.

I went with the polarized 4mm bullets as in the red plastic housing on Sky LiPo and Turnigy LiPo batteries since I buy only the Sky Lipo batteries now.

What I do is cut one wire and use an elastic to secure it to the pack, cut the other, solder and then solder the remaining wire.

kyleservicetech 04-11-2014 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 945152)
What I do is cut one wire and use an elastic to secure it to the pack, cut the other, solder and then solder the remaining wire.

Yeah, can't be to careful with these packs. I cover the unterminated ends of both of my battery leads with duct tape, before they are stripped for the attachment of the terminal. A piece of shrink tubing over the lead wires would also work well. Then, the duct tape is removed from one wire, stripped, crimped into the APP terminal and inserted into the housing. Then, the second wire is completed in the same manner.

These battery packs can put out an unbelievable wallop of current if they are ever shorted out. (Don't ask :censor:)

thepiper92 04-11-2014 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 945154)
Yeah, can't be to careful with these packs. I cover the unterminated ends of my battery leads with duct tape, even if they are not stripped for the attachment of the terminal. Then, the duct tape is removed from one wire, stripped, crimped into the APP terminal and inserted into the housing. Then, the second wire is completed in the same manner.

These battery packs can put out an unbelievable wallop of current if they are ever shorted out. (Don't ask :censor:)

I've done it once, with a 2s pack luckily, so not too bad of a spark. 6s...I don't want to find out what happens.

kyleservicetech 04-11-2014 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 945155)
I've done it once, with a 2s pack luckily, so not too bad of a spark. 6s...I don't want to find out what happens.

Yeah, I did it to a 6S2P A123 pack. It sounded like my arc welder, with a matching bright light at the arc.

Didn't affect the A123 pack though. That was 5 years ago, and am still using that pack. It still turns the same motor and same prop at exactly the same RPM, after some 400 flights.

hayofstacks 04-11-2014 04:37 AM

I did the same thing when my "helping hands" slipped on a 3 cell 40c 4000mah battery. (That's rated for 1600 watts!) My cars alternator is only rated for 660 watts.

dahawk 04-11-2014 04:43 AM

gary,

Pick your poison.

But here's what I use for my icharger: http://www.buddyrc.com/paraboard-v2-xh-t-ec3-xt60.html

it can handle XT-60, Deans or EC3 .

When I first got back in the hobby , I started off with EC3. Found them difficult to take apart, though it's a pretty good connector in a lot of ways. A reversing snap ring pliers helps.

Then, after a while decided I like deans better. But when anything from HK showed up on my doorstep, it had XT-60. Head started to spin.

Some of the background is part branding and part legal . The EC3 and for higher power apps , the EC5, came from Eflight (now part of Horizon) . Deans for the longest time was the standard. Then HK got embroiled in a patent infringement suit with Deans and came out with their XT-60. It's a really good connector IMO but none of the other esc or lipo mfgs use them.

I also use the Anderson style on one plane, the Deuces Wild.

What I do and it's not viewed fondly by some of the purist electrician types, is use two-way adaptor plugs for some esc to lipo connections. You can buy these almost anywhere. HK, Motion, Headsuprc, EPBuddy, etc. sells them. make sure you select the correct config. you need. Male to female or female to male. I keep a variety in my flight bag.

So, if I buy a lipo from HK and it has an XT-60 but the plane I'm using it with has a Deans on the esc, I simply use an adaptor. No worries. I have yet to have a problem.

My CHL lipos always come with Deans. Almost all eflight/parkzone planes will have an EC3 and HK is almost always XT-60. High voltage setups like an 80 and above esc's used in the Hangar 9 planes will typically use the EC5 . A lot of Heli guys use EC5's on their 750's

Good luck !

Hawk

thepiper92 04-11-2014 06:11 AM

EC5's are the standard on rc cars too, at lest ones that you by ready to run. I too find them hard to take apart. Most lipos I buy are from HK, so seeing that I need far more lipos for planes (1300mah-2200mah as compared to 5000mah's and one 6000mah, plus I am much more involved in planes now), I decided to just default to XT60's for the batteries have them already. They are easier to take apart than the EC's, and I like them a lot. Now, I couldn't say how they compare to EC5's, maybe closer to EC3's, but I have had zero issues.

That charging board is brilliant by the way, definitely something I may need at some point. As for adapters, they are a good idea. I can see some thinking that there will be more resistance, but I cannot see there being much. If there is so much issue with resistance, then your motor itself should be soldered right to the esc wires, which I know is not often possible, but is more so on rc cars. I did this on my car setup simply because I knew I would stay with the one motor, and I couldn't be bothered soldering on wires to the motor and soldering on plugs on the motor and esc wires. Now if you want to see a really bad connector, try the Tamiya connectors, which were the standard for brushed rc cars. Long story short, they melted on a brushed car some years ago, couldn't take anything apart and had to cut the wires. On brushless, they would be an instant permanent connector.

Panther 04-11-2014 08:23 AM

I still use XT60s with my 3S packs and EC3 connectors with my 4S packs. This prevents accidentally shoving a 4S battery on a 3S motor if I'm not thinking. (fairly often nowadays)
However my preference is the EC3 as no heat shrink is required to protect exposed terminals.
As said above, everybody has preferences for different reasons and that is mine.

solentlife 04-11-2014 08:34 AM

I use both standard Deans and XT60 connectors. Why? XT60 are slightly bigger and not suited to some of my small models. I have no problem witb having two types as I made up short adaptor connectors so I can use both in all models.

There is a lot of personal bias in which is reccd to use.... it really comes down to what person is comfortable with.

Nigel