WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   $100 Semi Scratch, Twin Build Contest (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73557)

CHELLIE 04-13-2014 11:37 PM

$100 Semi Scratch, Twin Build Contest

Hi Everyone :ws: Lets get this Contest Started ;-) This will be a Semi Scratch Build Contest, where Plans and Short Kits will be Allowed to get more People Involved in building a Aircraft, The judging will be based on Performance and looks of the build, Good luck to everyone That Participate in the Build. Here are the Simple Rules.

Contest Starting Date, 4 - 13 - 2014, Judging will last for 2 weeks after the contest, 1st and 2nd place Winners will receive Build Award Icons and some Wattflyer Logos

1. plans are ok to use.

2. pre cut short kits are ok as opposed to a full kit

3. all building materials are ok to use, as not to limit availability of material to be used in countries where some materials may be limited

4. 150 days to get her Done :D Sept 30 2014 will be the finish date, close enough :)

5. Twin powered Aircraft.

6. $100.00 build limit, not to include power system or electronics

7. Enter ---- $100 Twin Build Contest then the Name of your plane, so i can Find it, and list it During Judging, Good luck to Everyone :cool:

8. Ok To Frankenstein old Aircraft parts for up to 50% of the Build

$100 Twin Build Contest RF-15 Reporter (P-61 Recon variant)

$100 Twin Build Contest XF5U

$100 Contest entry : Twin Pusher "Sport Scale" TU-144 Concordski

$100 Twin Build Contest Batplane

$100 Twin Build Contest JU EF112

$100 Twin Build Contest Beech Starship

$100.00 Twin Build Contest 337 Cessna

dahawk 04-14-2014 01:35 AM

In the US , we have a popular TV show called " Shark Tank" where would be entrepreneurs try to convince a wealthy panel of celebrity judges to invest in their idea or new start-up in exchange for a portion of the company. Most of the time the judges will one by one say: " I'm out " and state a reason.

As tempting as this contest is and considering my love for twins, I'm afraid that with all that I have going , I have to sadly say: "I'm out"

I'll be watching with great interest as usual and wish everyone the best of luck !

solentlife 04-14-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 945389)
In the US , we have a popular TV show called " Shark Tank" where would be entrepreneurs try to convince a wealthy panel of celebrity judges to invest in their idea or new start-up in exchange for a portion of the company. Most of the time the judges will one by one say: " I out " and state a reason.

As tempting as this contest is and considering my love for twins, I'm afraid that with all that I have going , I have to sadly say: "I'm out"

I'll be watching with great interest as usual and wish everyone the best of luck !

Like most of such TV shows ... X factor incl - they started in UK ... died a death and then sold onto you guys ...

It was called Dragons Den in UK I believe ... which tried to take Alan Sugars investor program a few notches further on ...

Nigel

solentlife 04-14-2014 01:06 PM

mmmmm looks like my Tu144 can fit into this ?

Twin Pusher prop powered Tu144 (Concordski) ....

6mm Depron job based on plans / design by myself (ideas, inspiration, builder. flyer) and Don (DEG) who's the CAD guy puttin all on paper for me !!

I assume even though a lot of preliminary plans work pre-dates start date - that this is OK ? No building in any way has started yet and won't until I gert home from Ukraine, Crimea in about 4 - 6 weeks time.
If OK - then I will change my Tu144 thread title to reflect the contest ?

Nigel

offtom 04-14-2014 05:12 PM

I've been toying with an idea for a couple months now. This might just give me the motivation to "Get er done!"

Now I just need to go back through some drawings and see if I can find where I left off. ????

solentlife 04-14-2014 07:35 PM

To be honest ............ $100 would cover ENTIRE modell incl. motors, ESC's and batterys ... but not radio.

;)

Nigel

solentlife 04-14-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offtom (Post 945438)
I've been toying with an idea for a couple months now. This might just give me the motivation to "Get er done!"

Now I just need to go back through some drawings and see if I can find where I left off. ????

And pray what is that ? Teasing us ??

Nigel

xmech2k 04-14-2014 08:19 PM

Ok. I'm in. This gives me the excuse to build that flat foam XF5U from the Park Pilot magazine plans. I'll start the thread when the foam arrives.

BroncoSquid 04-14-2014 09:10 PM

I have a set of plans for an electric Free Flight Airco DH10 I have been sitting on, just not thrilled about hand cutting 96+ wing ribs by hand. I also have some plans for a foam F18. I have been wanting to try to work with foam. I need to see how well I can get 2 small EDF's in it.:confused:

CHELLIE 04-15-2014 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 945415)
mmmmm looks like my Tu144 can fit into this ?

Twin Pusher prop powered Tu144 (Concordski) ....

6mm Depron job based on plans / design by myself (ideas, inspiration, builder. flyer) and Don (DEG) who's the CAD guy puttin all on paper for me !!

I assume even though a lot of preliminary plans work pre-dates start date - that this is OK ? No building in any way has started yet and won't until I gert home from Ukraine, Crimea in about 4 - 6 weeks time.
If OK - then I will change my Tu144 thread title to reflect the contest ?

Nigel

Sounds like a Nice Build :$

Quote:

Originally Posted by offtom (Post 945438)

Cool :ws: Glad to have you in the contest

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 945448)
To be honest ............ $100 would cover ENTIRE modell incl. motors, ESC's and batterys ... but not radio.

;)

Nigel

yes, Being very Generous with the Limit :tc:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 945452)
Ok. I'm in. This gives me the excuse to build that flat foam XF5U from the Park Pilot magazine plans. I'll start the thread when the foam arrives.

Cool, Sounds like a Neet Build :$

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 945455)
I have a set of plans for an electric Free Flight Airco DH10 I have been sitting on, just not thrilled about hand cutting 96+ wing ribs by hand. I also have some plans for a foam F18. I have been wanting to try to work with foam. I need to see how well I can get 2 small EDF's in it.:confused:

Decisions Decisions :D :D :D LOL

fhhuber 04-15-2014 02:22 AM

Gotta get a good 1400 mm span outline of a Batman bat symbol...
The rest will be easy.

DEG 04-15-2014 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 945489)
The rest will be easy.

Will this do you?? Should print out full size or if you'd like, I can tile it for you.......

Wrongway-Feldman 04-15-2014 02:22 PM

I'm in. Been toying with the idea of scratch building a Beech Starship twin pusher.
May even attempt the variable pitch cannard.

CHELLIE 04-15-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 945489)
The rest will be easy.

That will be a neet Build :$

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEG (Post 945493)
Will this do you?? Should print out full size or if you'd like, I can tile it for you.......

Thank you DEG for helping out :$

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman (Post 945515)
I'm in. Been toying with the idea of scratch building a Beech Starship twin pusher.
May even attempt the variable pitch cannard.

Looking forwards to seeing this build, Sounds like a Cool Build

fhhuber 04-15-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber
The rest will be easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEG (Post 945493)

Should work.

Going to be REALLY simple from pink foam and stuff I have laying around. Estimated cost of $20 (stuff I need to buy) + the scavenged hardware, electronics and EDFs.

And I don't do hand launch.

CHELLIE 04-15-2014 08:04 PM

I always wanted a Cessna 337 Skymaster twin, So I think that will be my Build for the contest

http://img.planespotters.net/photo/2...Net_273873.jpg

solentlife 04-16-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 945529)
Should work.

Going to be REALLY simple from pink foam and stuff I have laying around. Estimated cost of $20 (stuff I need to buy) + the scavenged hardware, electronics and EDFs.

And I don't do hand launch.

Interested ... guy I knew built a Batman model years ago ... and it was single tractor prop...

Interested how you will power it ? As a twin ?

Nigel

CHELLIE 04-17-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 945569)
Interested ... guy I knew built a Batman model years ago ... and it was single tractor prop...

Interested how you will power it ? As a twin ?

Nigel

Me Too ???? This will be a interesting build :ws:

offtom 04-17-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 945449)
And pray what is that ? Teasing us ??

Nigel

I was thinking a JU EF112. I found it on the Luft 46 web page awhile back and it caught my eye. I've been playing around with it in CAD for awhile making plans for a balsa build. That might come up costing more than the $100 allowed for this build, and require a lot more time.

I have plenty of foam and electronics already laying around so some modifications on the plans, and I think I should be able to build it under the limits set.

I have to finish another project first though. :D

fhhuber 04-17-2014 07:20 PM

My plan is pure simplicity...

Twin 70 mm EDFs (because I have them)

Foam batman symbol with some added bits for fuselage and verticals

1/4 inch fiberglass rod (bike pennant) for the main spar.

Play with a smaller flat plate glider to determine starting CG.

Off we go...

BroncoSquid 04-17-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offtom (Post 945676)
I was thinking a JU EF112. I found it on the Luft 46 web page awhile back and it caught my eye.

There you go making me look stuff up on google again......
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2...ef112cinco.jpg

fhhuber 04-17-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 945693)
There you go making me look stuff up on google again......
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2...ef112cinco.jpg

Looks like a low wing C-337...

solentlife 04-18-2014 02:00 AM

Seems everyone around that time was experimenting with Push - Pull variants ... taking basically airframes and joining together ...

Very few designs of such about today ... apart from Chellie's choice - the Cessna.

I would imagine that the efficiency of the rear motor would be compromised unless careful choice of pitch / rpm to take advantage of air flow from front prop. OK with a model - that's not a real concern - but on full size - I reckon it would be a serious matter.

Nigel

Wrongway-Feldman 04-18-2014 04:07 PM

So is the $100 limit for the final build only, or does that include any prototypes and design tests? Seeing as there is not much info and no plans for my build I can see myself going through some test variations getting the incidence of the cannard and main wing just right. Not to mention the cg.
Also sticking to DT foam board. Its all I can afford right now. Lol

fhhuber 04-18-2014 06:35 PM

Incidence of main wing to canard... generally start at +3 to +5 deg on the Canard relative to the main wing. That virtually guarantees the canard stalls before the main wing making the classic nose-drop and self recovery stall cycle of a canard design.
If you don't want to guarantee that cycle you can have them at the same incidence.

Canard CG is also very predictable. You want oz/sq in loading to the the same for both the canard surface and the main wing. That turns it into finding MAC, estimating center of pressure (use 30% MAC) and then using a balance beam calculation to find where CG belongs.
A * B = distance between the 30% MAC of Canard and 30% MAC of main wing
X = Canard area
Y = Main wing area
AX = BY
X = distance behind the Canard 30% MAC line where the model should balance. (often very close to the leading edge of the main wing... if there is no sweep.)