WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Not so friendly spring so far (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73667)

Wrongway-Feldman 05-01-2014 02:44 PM

Not so friendly spring so far

Anyone else still waiting for flying weather this spring?
Snow, high winds and rain are the conditions around here.
6 planes to maiden and weather won't cooperate.
I just finished the FT Viggen and would really like to see what it can do.
AUW of just under 2lbs with a 4000kv 70mm edf producing 900 watts on 4s should be a lot of fun. Not to mention an Avro Arrow I've been sitting on for 4 months and my first quad.
Itchy fingers, itchy fingers.

Glacier Girl 05-01-2014 03:20 PM

Well they call it the Great White North for a reason.:D

Just like they call it where I am, Sunny Florida...:p>

road king 97 05-01-2014 05:11 PM

Yep its cool and windy /rainy here also. Glacier Girl ,they also call Florida gods waiting room .:eek: :D lol joe

thepiper92 05-01-2014 05:28 PM

Same here Wrongway. Sunday is gonna be cloudy but no wind; I'll be able to maiden Sunday. It has been raining an 30kph winds or more for a week now

kyleservicetech 05-01-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl (Post 947000)
Well they call it the Great White North for a reason.:D

Just like they call it where I am, Sunny Florida...:p>

Yup
Here in SE Wisconsin, we've had weather around 40-50 degrees, wet, rainy for the past several weeks. It is getting somewhat tiresome. I did get one flight on my tiny UMX Beast 3D Bipe yesterday. Winds were 12-15 MPH per our clubs anemometer. No one else in my club was dumb enough to fly. :oops: :oops:

At least we didn't get two feet of rain, like some places in Florida. :censor:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...in-fla-alabama

tobydogs 05-02-2014 12:21 AM

here in New Jersey it's been windy but flyable if you can handle it. great to have planes that can handle 15 to 20mph.[popcorn]

thepiper92 05-02-2014 01:29 AM

Can't wait for Sunday. First day of low wind. I have no issues with the wind today, just don't like zooming downwind, and crawling upwind. It's like tobogganing down a mile 45 degree hill. It's fun until you have to go back. Now if my planes all did 100mph and 1/4 to 1/3 scale, it would be fine, but I wish I had the room for such planes

crxmanpat 05-02-2014 02:15 AM

We're supposed to get to 98 on Saturday. ;)

gramps2361 05-02-2014 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 947053)
We're supposed to get to 98 on Saturday. ;)

You mean it's getting time to start hiding inside during the day, and build.:D
At least it's a dry heat.;):Q

Ya this has been one moody spring winds, cold, and lots of rain. I have only gotten out a few times myself to fly.
I can't believe I am having to turn on the pellet stove to get the chill out of the house still. Hope the weather pattern changes for all of us I'm itching to be outside been cooped up in the house for too long.

Wrongway-Feldman 05-02-2014 03:35 AM

I've got my fingers crossed for this weekend. Cool and overcast but not much wind forecast. Just hoping the ground dries out a bit. Haven't min waxed the DT foam planes yet. If it's too windy I'll know what my weekend project will be.

thepiper92 05-02-2014 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramps2161 (Post 947058)
You mean it's getting time to start hiding inside during the day, and build.:D
At least it's a dry heat.;):Q

Ya this has been one moody spring winds, cold, and lots of rain. I have only gotten out a few times myself to fly.
I can't believe I am having to turn on the pellet stove to get the chill out of the house still. Hope the weather pattern changes for all of us I'm itching to be outside been cooped up in the house for too long.

I agree. 98...ugh. I like temps in 70s. Temps are nice now, just dang wind and rain.

crxmanpat 05-02-2014 04:43 AM

Yep, winter is our flying season. Summer we hide indoors. I don't know how the soccer kids (and parents) do it.

fhhuber 05-02-2014 05:06 AM

I like the heat...

So i set up my models expecting to fly them in 110 F all summer long.

Just need to pay good attention to cooling airflow.

thepiper92 05-02-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 947072)
Yep, winter is our flying season. Summer we hide indoors. I don't know how the soccer kids (and parents) do it.

We get hot here too at times, surprisingly, and humid. That's why I like my holidays close to September, because our cabin has no ac. Nice to get out there though, take my plane to the flying field. I'm not a member, but hoping I will be allowed to fly. Last time I was there the guy scoffed at me for getting a turnigy radio. Yes, edf was not a good first plane (it's never flown), but I didn't like how he said I'd never fly with anything but a huge 80 inch trainer, gas only, and a expensive radio. Maybe I'll be flying through 3 batteries before they actually tune up the engines :D

thepiper92 05-02-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 947073)
I like the heat...

Heat is my worst enemy. Remember last summer when I took my rc car up to nearly 80mph. The motor got incredibly hot from this. I actually tested the speed when it was cooler out, but was getting the same speed other times too without knowing it. During those hot days, I could feel the heat from the motor just bending down to power it off. Only good this was the tires warmed up fast and got sticky. Heat is no good for hot running motors. Gonna have to be careful with my switch as maybe even the p47 in the summer.

offtom 05-02-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 947073)
I like the heat...

Is cooling airflow possible at 110? :D

pizzano 05-02-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 947072)

LOL.....been there for over 10 years. It's done now since the kids have grown-out and only play when they feel like it on their own.....:D

Being is SoCal, most of the "major" tournaments (all week/weekend long) are in the fall and winter months here.......but there was that every week-end grind through mid summer.....lots of Gatorade, power bars and water bottles (under the umbrellas and lawn chairs).....I coached, no umbrella for me until 1/2 time......;).....can't use those while I fly in the summer.

crxmanpat 05-02-2014 06:11 PM

FYI, I was at Big Jolt what was it, 3 years ago, when they had it at the end of August, and it was like 107 that weekend. And of course the farmer was heavily watering the crops right next to the filed that weekend. Man that was brutal!

pizzano 05-02-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 947112)
FYI, I was at Big Jolt what was it, 3 years ago, when they had it at the end of August, and it was like 107 that weekend. And of course the farmer was heavily watering the crops right next to the filed that weekend. Man that was brutal!

I'm familiar with the SD United Tourney, now held in the first week of August (it's suppose to be cooler there).....still, August in San Diego can be well into the 90's....The only tourney I'm familiar with in AZ is the Fall Clasic in September, when it's still over 105 by 11:00am, ya, Fall........ I still Ref a few games (mostly 18-19's) in the San Bernardino/Riverside County area now and then....summer games are "brutal" like you said.....

I do prefer flying in the dryer, higher temps in the morning here.....once it gets over 90 (summer usually by 10:30-11:00am)....me and my batteries are done....:oops: