WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Multi-Rotors (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Hobby People F450 Quad DIY anyone? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73680)

leadpan 05-04-2014 01:12 AM

Hobby People F450 Quad DIY anyone?

Has anyone have experience with this model?
Thanks.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/hpheli-f4...FQqEfgodpx4ALg

pizzano 05-04-2014 02:07 AM

Welcome to Wattflyer leadpan...

I noticed you posted another DIY multi-rotor related question here as well?

Before I get going trying to help, a few questions come to mind that could narrow down the "massive" possibilities:

What are your expectations, intent...to just build and fly, photography, FPV, telemetry...?

What is your budget....?

What build and pilot skills do you possess....previous experience...?

Are you looking for quality or a throw-a-way to learn on...?

What equipment do you own now...TX/RX...?

Are you prepared and aware of the learning curves, time consumption, $$$$ and addiction.......:D

Answers to these will help us get started with an intelligent and informed conversation......!

Feel free to expand on your thoughts.....;)

tobydogs 05-04-2014 05:59 AM

ditto what pizzano said,welcome to wattflyer!

i been following the building of fpv quads at the club i belong to. these guys put together the coolest 4 and 6 motor fpv crafts. it's a toss up to buying a $500 rx r quad that carries a gopro,has gps,safe mode,return home,hold altitude...ect..ect.

from what your looking at, it would require considerable $$$.00's to finish the quad to be able to perform all those tasks. but if you just want to build a quad to manually fly it's a good start for $200. you can always add gps,stabilizers,and programmable control boards and fpv at a later time.

i just wanted to welcome you to wattflyer. stu

leadpan 05-04-2014 08:08 AM

newbie looking for big quad to build

Hi folks!
Yes, I'm interested in doing "all-the-above" but want to take my time adding each components as I learn to fly. Truth be told: I got a GoPro for my b/d and now have to reason to get into quad flying. :D My previous experience with multirotor or heli is...zero. But been playing with the Phoenix sims on it. I DO own 3 rc planes and been flying for several months. I have Turnigy 9XR and a Spektrum DX5e; will these Tx work for quads? I have ordered FPV gears from ReadyMadeRC which will go in the quad. I've decided quad is more "safer" to put expensive gears(GoPro, FPV, etc) then a plane...for now. :rolleyes:
But I'm looking for good starter quad that's NOT micro-size and sturdy. I wanted to know what is the biggest quads out there. It seems this F450 quad seems popular on youtube (other then Phantom). And lastly I'm very interested in this "return-to-base" function on multi-rotors and how to add to my quad (eventually). Thanks for your answers!

tobydogs 05-04-2014 12:52 PM

good morning,quads come in all sizes so lets stick with the hobby people quad at 17 inch diagonal. plenty big enough for fpv and misc elec component's needed. the motors look like suppos and they are fine. the esc's may be cheap and worth replacing so the gopro dosn't go down with the ship in the event of hard landings.

my first question not knowing quads....you will need connectors and power poles:confused: to complete this air frame. what are power poles? connectors must be chosen by user to match what your already using. example deans't' or ec-3.

if you already have the fpv tx and rx with either a monitor or goggles coming,you have spent the larger part of your build already ...this is good. now search forums where building quads covers quality components to control gps,stabilizer,and camera mounts to protect your gopro.

ledpan,i am very serious asking you to do a quad assembly here at wattflyer. i want to build my own also as they look so cool compared to the rtf's out there. and we will save several $$$.00 using PC's bought separately. plus building a quad will give you ton's of information from doing research compared to the pilot who flys straight out of the box. i think building is better,but it takes time to assemble. time to build things now that spring is here is rare for me.

5 day a week at work leaves me exhausted mentally and weekend flying is hit or miss due to home repairs,or bad weather. a quad would fly nicely in my back yard...lol:Q.stu

oh yeah,worst flight from a guy at the field was a fly away and he lost it in a rock quarry. gopro and all. last weekend we visually kept watch for a bud loosing his quad that had no "come home switch" we were barely able to see it as it flew over the tree line but it made it back safe. whew!!!! very cool not to mention the adrenaline rush.:D he was wearing goggles but lost orientation. spotters are a must when flying fpv.

pizzano 05-04-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpan (Post 947275)
Hi folks!
Yes, I'm interested in doing "all-the-above" but want to take my time adding each components as I learn to fly. Truth be told: I got a GoPro for my b/d and now have to reason to get into quad flying. :D My previous experience with multirotor or heli is...zero. But been playing with the Phoenix sims on it. I DO own 3 rc planes and been flying for several months. I have Turnigy 9XR and a Spektrum DX5e; will these Tx work for quads? I have ordered FPV gears from ReadyMadeRC which will go in the quad. I've decided quad is more "safer" to put expensive gears(GoPro, FPV, etc) then a plane...for now. :rolleyes:
But I'm looking for good starter quad that's NOT micro-size and sturdy. I wanted to know what is the biggest quads out there. It seems this F450 quad seems popular on youtube (other then Phantom). And lastly I'm very interested in this "return-to-base" function on multi-rotors and how to add to my quad (eventually). Thanks for your answers!

I'll try to help you out a little.....but the best place to get started and review build threads (IMHO) is here:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/forum.php

Take your time and read through the threads that are related to the 450/500 class quads, Turnigy 9xr, Go-Pro and telemetry.......

To answer a few of your questions (and I'll be quite honest and frank); About my experience. I have not built a quad...for many reasons. Mostly because I have little time, on a budget (have several other hobbies) and do not intend to get serious about aerial photo. maybe FPV down the road.
I have built/flown (from scratch) several 450 class E CCP's, various planks (kits) and several RC water craft......all of which have different learning curves, costs and time consumption.
However, I have flown (and own two) several "quads" and have buddies who build/fly quad/hex multi rotors, some basic, some extremely involved AR/FPV.

That said, the first reality is cost. Quad/hex builds can get expensive real quick, regardless of the intended use. Never go with "low-budget" electronics......the frustrations you will experience trying do dial in the various aspects of the OS and telemetry (especially for a novice) can be a "deal breaker" if you do not have a buddy or club member walk you through such......do not rely on the forums to get you very far quickly!

You mention Go-Pro as an "expensive" video source, quite frankly, Go-Pro is the least expensive route to take for quality video....it's the camera gimble set-up's that really make the bigger difference, and they get can get complicated and pricey as well.

Not all FPV equipment is the same or compatible with reciever/transmitter/GPS and stabilization systems.....they must all be able to talk to each other in the same language and at the same speed/time.

Yes, size makes a difference.....just like most RC, the bigger, the better stability, easier to build, more durable and.......a lot more expensive!

You mentioned a lack of flying experience....."0" I think you said..? There is a very big difference between flying a "sim" or flying a plank (realtime) and flying a heli or quad (quad being the easier of the two multi-rotors).....there's nothing wrong with learning on a quad, but the pain you'll experience (frustration) learning to fly the DIY will be ten fold greater than buying a throw away to learn on....trust me, I speak from experience.....;)

It's not all doom and gloom though, I do not personally know your character or technical ability........but I do know quite a few experienced and knowledgable RC guys........who would say (just like what I'm about to say), for your first quad, start with a craft that is ARF/RTF, has a good reputation (Blade, Walkera, Traxxas) all of which are compatible with either your Spektrum or Turnigy...and go from there.....around the $400.00 range.......you'll get all the features your'e looking for (photo, GPS, flight stability, RTH, ect...ect) at a far less expense, learn to fly (and crash) and rebuild (acquainted with the physical and technical aspects) with less frustration and more enjoyment (which will keep you interested and engaged longer)...........then consider building your own DIY quad...!

Hope this opens up a few considerations (you may not have considered).... many excited and new flyers have in the beginning, only to walk away from the investment later due to frustration and more headaches....rather than learning and having fun.....while taking your time through the process.......;)

leadpan 05-04-2014 04:52 PM

Hi tobydog,
Yes I'll be happy to share my build on this forum. :)
The other forum was NOT responsive at all when I posted my newbie question.
I will post photos of what I got as the parts comes in.
Thanks all!

pizzano 05-04-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpan (Post 947312)
Hi tobydog,
Yes I'll be happy to share my build on this forum. :)
The other forum was NOT responsive at all when I posted my newbie question.
I will post photos of what I got as the parts comes in.
Thanks all!

There's a very good reason "most" experienced forum members who have been through the process.....do not respond to a complete "newbee" with high expectations and bubbling enthusiasm over quad's and fpv........it's called reality.......;)

Much luck to you leadpan........look forward to your build threads and the multitude of interesting questions you will inevitably post......;)

leadpan 05-04-2014 06:30 PM

Pizzano, thanks for the reality check.
Guess for me I love BUILDING things.
I plan to take things slowly on my quad(which is ARF).
Meaning I build it, flying around the yard, crash few times, repair it, then fly some more.
Between the quad and sims; once I'm confident in my flying then will put "accessories" like FPV, Gopro, etc. thanks again!

P.S.
First time I was referred as "bubbly." LOL. :)

Flubber 05-04-2014 10:28 PM

Here is a low cost airframe with top self electronics build project. I have built and flown (and crashed) the airframe and it is a hoot. The air frame was less than $8 and after the crash took me an hour to replace the broken part and test fly. http://makezine.com/projects/make-37...ycopter-uav-2/

My handy copter flies with a kk2.0 board. I wanted to see if I could build a good flying quad for under $100 to teach STEM to high school kids. It was well under $100.

The best part of the Make project is the diy gimbal.

leadpan 05-05-2014 05:16 AM

Got the HP F450

3 Attachment(s)
Got the HP F450 kit today! :D
The 4-to-1 ESC adapter was not included in the kit however, and there's no landing gear.
Well, I'm excited to build my first quad! This seems like a pretty easy build. Will post more photos in days ahead.

Tim Johnson 07-17-2014 06:42 PM

Here is a video they posted.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Tim Johnson 07-17-2014 06:49 PM

So a few thoughts from me. I picked one of these up recently. It was super easy to assemble. Flying was fun as well. I was a little shocked at the speed and maneuverability of the Hobby People F450. I can't wait to start experimenting with attaching camera equipment, maybe change the FC board, add LED lights.

leadpan 07-17-2014 07:34 PM

I'm glad you had better luck with this quad.
Too bad this HobbyPeople video was not available when I bought it.
After much trouble binding to radio, getting it stabilize; i was able to fly few flights.
I would say the biggest weakness to this quad is its flight-controller. Wish I went straight for KK2 board instead. Live and learn. I crashed a lot, this being my first quad but not due to pilot error (I fly 3D foamies).

I moved on to Hobbyking H-quad and now to TBS Discovery quad.

Tim Johnson 07-17-2014 08:03 PM

You had troubles binding your own radio? Bummer.

Everything worked perfect for me. Calibrated the FC to my radio system, and then went and had fun.

I've crashed once so far. But that was due to me not recognizing that the battery was going dead. I fixed that with a voltage alarm that gets attached to my battery.

Tim Johnson 07-21-2014 04:01 PM

Now, I have crashed twice. LOL It is crazy, I damaged a prop and the battery. But the airframe did not break. I surely thought I would have had a broken arm or something.

I spent half the day at the field yesterday flying around. I can't get over how fun this quad is.

leadpan 07-21-2014 04:13 PM

Have you crashed due to power-related issue?

Tim Johnson 07-21-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpan (Post 953731)
Have you crashed due to power-related issue?

Yes, but that was my fault. I did not have a voltage alarm on my battery, nor did I set a timer for my flight.