WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Flyzone Acro-Wot Mk2 (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73715)

phillipmorris 05-08-2014 12:47 PM

Flyzone Acro-Wot Mk2

Lost my first one last year as behind trees lost visibility.

It's take off is instant and handles well. Nice breeze today near effortless flight. To me has a slight touch of 3D.

Only caution at least on mine can roll over onto nose on pavement landings, lost at least a prop or two on my first one.

This is not a rudder ship, it's designed to fly aileron, had newbies inquire to fly just rudder, strongly suggest against trying that, it's going to require aileron.

Anyone previous aileron experience should be fine. These types often need constant attention on the controls, just go easy.

I'm near skilled on deadstick, this isn't quite the plane to do that, but I enjoy this, bear the nose down on approach for flying speed at the correct times often works for me. If something goes wrong as losing a prop inflight, nice to have this ability.

This puppy is fun, caution abit above beginner level, Please have a skilled pilot if your first attemp on aileron.

phillipmorris 05-08-2014 12:53 PM

To prevent the nose in and likely prop breakage, keep applying up elevator during landing, mines all the way to max up elevator as it comes to a halt, with a decent breeze max elevator is applied abit early as I experienced on today's flight.

Decent landings come with practice, go gradual on controls, in a nutshell, simply keep things flying, timing is essential.

Chucksolo69 05-08-2014 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like this plane, but there are a couple of things that are a real PITA. For starters, there is no way to get to the motor or ESC short of slicing into the foam on the nose of the plane. Second, there is NO way to change out a damaged aileron servo without major surgery on the wing. How do I know? I bumped my aileron control horn on a curb at our field and stripped out the servo. The wing is semi-hollow with the servo wire embedded in foam cross members that support the lower wing plate. Also, the plastic plate that covers the servo is glued tightly to the foam and any attempts to pry it out will break the plastic and take out a chunk of foam. There are also no replacement servos listed on the Tower Hobbies website. They want you to buy the whole wing. I finally gave up and did just that. :mad:

phillipmorris 05-09-2014 12:36 AM

Looks like a strong candidate for the scratch and dent sale, course not available when needed.

solentlife 05-09-2014 08:24 AM

The WOT series of models based on Chris Foss designs .. are not meant as beginner or early second models. They are serious Intermediate models capable of extending to serious flight as well.

They can be tamed down for introducing a relative newbie to more capable craft - but in all honesty a few skills should be learnt before venturing out with a WOT in any of it's forms.

I knew Chris years ago ... the WOT's were a great Club Flyer .. the high wing and low wing versions .. intended for the club flyer who wanted more out of his Sunday sport machine without need for a Curare or Magic etc. capable of incredible stunts, great for Club Displays - My WOT4 had 61 Glow up front with tuned pipe .. would rise vertically out of hand and disappear into the clouds ... made many a Display flight with her.

The wings were generally thicker than other models to provide good lift and also slow speed handling. WOT's of all descriptions could be seem at nearly every fly-in .. Club field ... so popular - that there were dedicated WOT flyins etc.

Nigel

solentlife 05-09-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 (Post 947795)
I like this plane, but there are a couple of things that are a real PITA. For starters, there is no way to get to the motor or ESC short of slicing into the foam on the nose of the plane. Second, there is NO way to change out a damaged aileron servo without major surgery on the wing. How do I know? I bumped my aileron control horn on a curb at our field and stripped out the servo. The wing is semi-hollow with the servo wire embedded in foam cross members that support the lower wing plate. Also, the plastic plate that covers the servo is glued tightly to the foam and any attempts to pry it out will break the plastic and take out a chunk of foam. There are also no replacement servos listed on the Tower Hobbies website. They want you to buy the whole wing. I finally gave up and did just that. :mad:

Where there's a will - there's a way ...

A sharp knife .. a bit of care .. swap out both aileron servos as a pair .. servos are available singly or as many as needed for peanuts .. no need even to stay same size.
My Cessna has from factory what is basically an 7 - 8gr servo, slightly smaller than a 9gr .. I just worked the slots a little and fitted 9grs instead. At $1.99 a servo .... worth the little bit of work ... about 10mins per servo.

Chunks of foam coming out ? Normal ...... dollop of Gorilla Glue / PU and that will expand / set up ... carve / sand to shape.

C'mon guys - we are MODELLERS .. you know .. model knife, bits of gear in hand .. ?? ;);););)

Nigel

phillipmorris 05-09-2014 01:58 PM

Nice to know it can be done with success.

I'm not known for my skills even on assembly. Still worth trying, saves big bucks!

Infact if it wasn't for duct tape, I'd be grounded!

Flew an hour ago between the rains. Even windy is quite the performer. Made it thru the gusts easily.

Landing was fair first two, but yep rolled onto nose last moments. Not to be intimidated 3rd try made it, ending level with max elevator at the correct moments. I knew all this but the strong gusts and determination to deadstick, made all a fun challenge.

Chucksolo69 05-09-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 947895)
Where there's a will - there's a way ...

A sharp knife .. a bit of care .. swap out both aileron servos as a pair .. servos are available singly or as many as needed for peanuts .. no need even to stay same size.
My Cessna has from factory what is basically an 7 - 8gr servo, slightly smaller than a 9gr .. I just worked the slots a little and fitted 9grs instead. At $1.99 a servo .... worth the little bit of work ... about 10mins per servo.

Chunks of foam coming out ? Normal ...... dollop of Gorilla Glue / PU and that will expand / set up ... carve / sand to shape.

C'mon guys - we are MODELLERS .. you know .. model knife, bits of gear in hand .. ?? ;);););)

Nigel

Ummmm........perhaps, but personally I just like to fly. It's kind of rare these days for me to have to make extensive repairs. I guess I am spoiled by companies like Horizon Hobby. I recently had an aileron servo go out on my Parkzone Visionaire and had to replace it. It took all of 10 minutes. It just seems that Flyzone could have done a better job of engineering this plane. But then, at $92.00 for the wing, that's just profit for them. BTW - I never use Gorilla Glue. Way too ugly. I use Beacon Foam-Tac to repair and build all my planes.

As far as being modelers goes, in this day and age of ARF and RTF planes, those folks are getting pretty scarce. I fly with 3 old school guys who were flying back in the 1950's, all of them fly foam ARF planes now. They have told me they got sick of building a "box full of sticks." Me, I personally don't like or expect to take hours changing out one lousy servo. Besides, repairing foam, isn't exactly modeling. Sometimes it's just a PITA. :blah:

phillipmorris 05-09-2014 05:09 PM

I've observed the changes thru the years, RTF planes many many years ago were scarce, and few of any quality.

My how things changed. Infinite choices out there now. Foamies abundant.

Degree of modeling skills vary, some excellent.

Some love to build, some love simply to fly.

I'm not here to side with either, just that we all vary.

Let's see, where is my duct tape!

Note my cousin was quite the skilled builder, and still is! Many a weekend building and covering a stick model. Only to combat fight, often a plane crumbled. But back repairing immediately for another outing!

solentlife 05-09-2014 05:18 PM

There's a saying in Yachts :

Cheque Book Boating ....

same is happening here in modelling.

Even with the most stupid installations of servo .. I can sort in not hours - but minutes literally. $92 for a new wing .. when a little work with a knife and a couple of $2 servos will do the job ?

WOW I'm in the wrong biz !!

Nigel

Chucksolo69 05-09-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 947932)
There's a saying in Yachts :

Cheque Book Boating ....

same is happening here in modelling.

Even with the most stupid installations of servo .. I can sort in not hours - but minutes literally. $92 for a new wing .. when a little work with a knife and a couple of $2 servos will do the job ?

WOW I'm in the wrong biz !!

Nigel

Yes, but that's not me. To me it's all in the flying. If a repair job is going to take a few hours, I'd rather buy a new wing. Sometimes it just ain't worth fixin'.

phillipmorris 05-10-2014 02:41 PM

Unfortunately I'm near the same, not trying to side here. Just we all enjoy different parts of this amazing hobby.

If it doesn't easily fit, duct tape does wonders. If it all fits, I use a strip for good luck. Hey if it works, don't change!

Thanks for all the informative inputs.

phillipmorris 05-10-2014 04:31 PM

Had a rare windless day this morning. Trimmed out it was quite predictable.

Aileron rolls majestic, inverted if your so skilled.

Just above half throttle a beauty to watch.

Yet to fasten rudder so landed in grass, mild flip but no harm. Wider areas is land able on pavement with aileron control.

Terrific day!

phillipmorris 05-26-2014 10:22 AM

Enjoying this one todate.

Do lower aileron rolls than prior models I've flown.

Blessed with calmer winds lately flown near daily early dawn break as empty parking lots make for a huge landing area far from curbs.

Only noted tendency this model likes to nose down onto pavement at the end of landing.
Simply increasing up elevator till it stops prevents this. Caution it's all in timing, up elevator too early will cause it to lift up again and drops to a stall. Keeping things flying till touchdown makes for the softer landings.

Mines flown slightly out of trim with some down elevator. So inflight enjoy the lower throttle settings with less wind conditions, makes for relaxing flights. Does require touches of up elevator brief moments. Above half throttle is closer to intrim. Battery fully inserted in cavity, sometimes I pull it slightly forward due to its quick lift. Mine was closely balanced right out of the box.

I usually deadstick but simply my tendency, requires some nose down to keep airspeed. Can run into the rise up to a stall as this one certainly has lift in its design. Note ground effect prior to touchdown gives a nose up lift, being alert correct downstick during moments of rise will keep things level.

Those not skilled on deadstick, brief pulses of throttle helps keeping things flying prior to touchdown.

This one is super fun!

Ben D wing 05-30-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 (Post 947795)
I like this plane, but there are a couple of things that are a real PITA. For starters, there is no way to get to the motor or ESC short of slicing into the foam on the nose of the plane:

You don't need to do that. Simply cut the cable tie that holds the 3 motor/ESC wires, remove the spinner, prop & adaptor, undo the 4 screws that secure the motor and with a bit of jiggling the motor and ESC can be removed through the battery hatch. I know because I've recently swapped out the motor in mine due to noisy bearings.

phillipmorris 05-31-2014 07:48 AM

That's good info as if mine holds up likely eventually replace the motor.

Still near daily flights, love it's swift takeoff. Can easily takeoff from the narrow part of a street especially when winds coming from that direction.

Daybreak have a nearby empty parking lot, extremely wide area. Are several parking lights to keep track of in low flight path. Pulled out nick of time wing tip skimmed top of light post without issue, close!

Caution coming in at low angle out aways, definitely with any overcast. Start losing some of the visual, puff of throttle during correction of any needed direction changes going on helps keeping all in control.

Better to come in higher angle and zig zag for best visibility as closer when comes in for eventual landing. Out too far at very low angles easily lose a plane!

Mine wants to keep climbing, my out of the box does require some down elevator trim.

phillipmorris 06-04-2014 11:31 AM

Teaching another upcoming flyer Ray.

He did fantastic job on keeping inframe

Take off and landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK0V_...e_gdata_player

phillipmorris 06-09-2014 12:29 PM

We have two transmitters in trainer mode teaching a new pilot. This plane is too advanced for a newbie but my new pilot is catching on fast.

He ressurected the Flyzone glider, new motor on order, meanwhile fun with the smaller upstart bungee launch. To get feel for flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9mn...e_gdata_player

Meanwhile he was able to turn the Acro correctly at safe altitude and keeping close range.

Rewarding experience, he's abit exceptional on learning curve, lots to learn!

Ben D wing 06-19-2014 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After two years of use my AcroWot has had a makeover to freshen it it up.
No mistaking anymore which is mine in the pits area. ;)

phillipmorris 06-19-2014 12:36 PM

That's indeed a beautiful ship, tremendous!

Wish I could keep mine alive that long enjoyed low inverteds came in with low throttle and decked it. Scratch and Dent sale am back again.

Also fixed the Archer to fly again, really fun compact plane.