WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Binding key (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73758)

Newbie55 05-18-2014 06:01 PM

Binding key

I used my binding key to bind my transmitter to the receiver.
When I tried to take it out of the port the black wire loop pulled out of the black plastic piece.
Wondering if I have recked the binding key now, does the black wire loop have to connect to the plastic part for it to work?
Thanks.

JetPlaneFlyer 05-18-2014 07:16 PM

The 'key' is just a normal plug, the same as you get on servos, but with a wire connecting the two outer pins together.
If the wire came off then it wont work, but you should be able to easily re-connect it. If not then you can just buy another binding plug: http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...rsal-Bind-Plug

solentlife 05-19-2014 05:25 AM

Or just take a busted servo and cut of the plug ... chop of centre wire, join two outer wires to short .... basically Bind plug as JPF says shorts -ve pin to Signal pin.

Nigel

Wildflyer 05-19-2014 07:28 AM

Kind of a minor thing but it may help in the future.

The transmitter has the special code that the receiver needs to have in order to operate. All Tx's have their own individual code, no repeats.

The binding process teaches the code to the receiver, so you are binding the receiver to that particular transmitter. It will not respond to any other Tx unless you use a biding plug and change it to the new Tx

This system allows us to have a large number of receivers bound to one transmitter.

It's just a little difference in wording, but I have had some friends confused about binding in this way.

Welcome to Wattflyer, we will try to answer any question you may have.

fhhuber 05-19-2014 01:50 PM

When you buy more RXs you will get more bind plugs.

Eventually you might find that you have so many that you don't know what to do with them all. Pick a compartment in your tool box (or one of the plastic boxes some Hitec servos come in... or similar) and store them. When someone needs one you can share.

Abuelo 05-19-2014 03:10 PM

Might try shorting the inner and outer pins by using a pair of tweezers.

fhhuber 05-19-2014 04:06 PM

Do not short the inner pin to anything ever

JetPlaneFlyer 05-19-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 948704)
Do not short the inner pin to anything ever

+1:eek: This will equal a dead receiver ever time. Only ever short the outer pins (signal and negative), but always do this with a special plug, don't try to do it with tweezers because the pins are very close together and it would be far to easy to accidentally bridge the wrong pins, instantly destroying your Rx.

To be extra safe, if you are making your own bind plug remove the centre contact from the plug.

kyleservicetech 05-19-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 948709)
+1:eek: This will equal a dead receiver ever time. Only ever short the outer pins (signal and negative), but always do this with a special plug, don't try to do it with tweezers because the pins are very close together and it would be far to easy to accidentally bridge the wrong pins, instantly destroying your Rx.

To be extra safe, if you are making your own bind plug remove the centre contact from the plug.

Agreed!

An accidental shorting of the red and black wires of the receiver, when powered by an A123 battery pack will instantly overheat the wires. Not to mention welding the battery switch contacts, or at the very least burning the switch contacts.

( :censor: I'd shorted out the unused charging connection on the switch harness. The A123 pack won, but all of the wiring between the A123 pack, switch harness and so on had to be replaced. It burnt the insulation right off of the wires.)

kyleservicetech 05-19-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 948700)
When you buy more RXs you will get more bind plugs.

Eventually you might find that you have so many that you don't know what to do with them all. Pick a compartment in your tool box (or one of the plastic boxes some Hitec servos come in... or similar) and store them. When someone needs one you can share.

What works for my DX8 transmitter, is to store the binding plug in the battery compartment. I just trimmed out a bit of the foam block holding the battery in place for the binding plug.

kyleservicetech 05-19-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildflyer (Post 948682)
Kind of a minor thing but it may help in the future.

The transmitter has the special code that the receiver needs to have in order to operate. All Tx's have their own individual code, no repeats.

The binding process teaches the code to the receiver, so you are binding the receiver to that particular transmitter. It will not respond to any other Tx unless you use a biding plug and change it to the new Tx

This system allows us to have a large number of receivers bound to one transmitter.

It's just a little difference in wording, but I have had some friends confused about binding in this way.

Welcome to Wattflyer, we will try to answer any question you may have.

Yeah

I think more than a few of us have seen someone take off with the wrong model selected in the transmitter. If, for example, the ailerons are reversed in the model, that will be the end of the model. Selecting the wrong model in the Spektrum transmitters results in a dead receiver. Nothing works.

As to what can happen, at our club field several years ago, my Transmitter showed "Show50" for the model airplane. And the model airplane was the Show50. The danged receiver was dead. Nothing. Zip. Powered everything down, powered everything up. Same thing. Dead. Then, looked at the transmitter. Show50 was model #9, not model #2. I'd copied the #2 model to the #9 model to try stuff without messing up the original file. And, as far as the transmitter was concerned, Show50 #2 and Show50 #9 were different airplanes, and it wasn't going to let me take off. Period.

When I updated the software in my Spektrum DX8 transmitter, the web site warned that the software update will be blocked, if Spektrums records of your registered DX8 transmitter does not match the transmitter to be updated. Perhaps to make certain that the transmitter ID system is not compromised? :confused:

NJSwede 05-19-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 948719)
When I updated the software in my Spektrum DX8 transmitter, the web site warned that the software update will be blocked, if Spektrums records of your registered DX8 transmitter does not match the transmitter to be updated. Perhaps to make certain that the transmitter ID system is not compromised? :confused:

It's probably an anti-piracy measure. If someone should copy the design of a DX8, they could sell it, but the customers wouldn't be able to update the software, which would render it a lot less attractive. Kind of like Microsoft does with Windows. You can (sometimes) install it with a pirated key, but you won't be able to download critical upgrades.

Abuelo 05-19-2014 09:04 PM

For what its worth, and with all due respect, the binding instruction from the Spectrum AR6300 receiver instruction sheet:

"How to Bind

With the power off, short the bind pins together with tweezers, hemostat or small needle-nose pliers."

Spectrum included a photo showing how its to be done and did not include any warnings.

JetPlaneFlyer 05-19-2014 09:32 PM

The 'nano' AR6300 binds in a totally different way to the standard size Spektrum receivers (that use a bind plug) such as that owned by the OP.

On the AR6300 the 'shorting' is done with power off, so no chance of causing any damage. The tweezers are removed before applying power and there are no adjacent pins to touch anyway. This Rx has no facility for use of a bind plug. Conventional Spektrum receivers (parkflyer and up) are bound by shorting the pins when the Rx is powered up, so one slip and the Rx is toast. You simply cant compare the binding process of the AR6300 to the bind plug activated process of the OP's receiver, they have nothing in common.

fhhuber 05-19-2014 10:05 PM

Also the 2 pins you are shorting on the 6300 DON'T HAVE a center (3rd) pin.

Abuelo 05-20-2014 12:24 AM

Sorry to have brought the idea up. I will bug out of this thread.

kyleservicetech 05-20-2014 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abuelo (Post 948729)
Sorry to have brought the idea up. I will bug out of this thread.

Naw
Every time these types of threads take off in different directions we all learn something new!

As for me, didn't know that some binding connections only have two pins.

solentlife 05-20-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 948719)
Yeah

I think more than a few of us have seen someone take off with the wrong model selected in the transmitter. If, for example, the ailerons are reversed in the model, that will be the end of the model. Selecting the wrong model in the Spektrum transmitters results in a dead receiver. Nothing works.....................

Denny ... he was talking more of just Tx Binding code .. not Model Match.

;)

Nigel

JetPlaneFlyer 05-20-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 948731)
As for me, didn't know that some binding connections only have two pins.

Me neither, i know the micro 'brick' receivers use a diffent bind process that doesnt use a plug, but I'd never come accross a receiver that needed manual shorting of contacts with tweezers while powered off.

As you say, we live and learn.

solentlife 05-20-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 948750)
Me neither, i know the micro 'brick' receivers use a diffent bind process that doesnt use a plug, but I'd never come accross a receiver that needed manual shorting of contacts with tweezers while powered off.

As you say, we live and learn.

Sounds bizarre !

Not arguing as have no idea whether true or not. Just sounds a bit strange - as what causes the bind then ? If no power ...

I can see it if it's to UN-bind a Rx - to reset the chip ...

mmmmm I'm glad I'm just with simple Press the button jobbies !

Nigel

xmech2k 05-20-2014 02:53 PM

The Edge540QQ has one of those rx's you use tweezers for binding. It's a 2 person operation! You have you touch the tweezers (or any other conductive tool that fits in the tiny access area) to the 2 pins, then while holding them on there plug the plane in, then do the bind thing with the tx. So it's just like a bind plug process but a bigger pita.

fhhuber 05-20-2014 05:53 PM

Tor that odd pair of shorting pins you might be able to use a jumper from an old computer accessory board... They used to come in 2 sizes. One that was for pins spaced like on a common RX's servo plug pins and a smaller spacing (which is rare as it came out just the same time as the jumper-less boards)

That is one of the 3 Spektrum RXs I don't have.

solentlife 05-20-2014 09:54 PM

Because of the 3 hand juggling exercise ... I Bind my new FrSky rx's using an old switch harness and NiMH pack. FrSky uses the press button on Rx system ... and is awkward to keep pressed and plug in power. So the switch harness makes it much easier.... Plug in switched off ... Press and hold button ... switch on ... Bingo.

Nigel

flypaper 2 05-21-2014 12:31 AM

I have the little 4 channel Spektrum rcvr, much the same as the AR6300, and I bridge an alligator clip across the pins to bind.

Gord.