WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Taranis and OrangeRX module questions... (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73804)

GunnyJeeves 05-28-2014 06:26 PM

Taranis and OrangeRX module questions...

Hi All,

I started to have minor issues with one of our 5 9XR radios with a potentiometer attached to the elevator gimbal. (Would drift off center over time up and down.) so while waiting on the replacement gimbal (which HK will do if you ask nicely and show video of the problem...) I bought a Taranis...

Learning curve is rough, but it is so feature packed it is worth it!

All of my planes so far work fine. My latest conquest however does not.

Symptom:
Connect battery, bind, controls all work but every so often, the controls go haywire. (Servos jitter at random spots... You can get it to stop, but have to wiggle rapidly between -100 and +100 on the affected stick.)

Tried binding the same to my daughter's 9XR and had same problem. (Same type of module) Tried binding using different receiver... same problem. Bound the affected receiver to the DX6i NO ISSUE! Bound a different brand receiver to the Taranis, NO ISSUE... Same receiver with genuine satellite... Issue comes back. No satellite, Orange Satellite, every possible combination.....

DX6i works fine... DX5e Works fine... OrangeRX module in Taranis has issues.
Change the TYPE of receiver and there are no issues.

Voltage is 6v from BEC.

PPM settings are 22.5 and 300u NEGATIVE for external module.

Not sure what is up with it... (I think it is going to be some setting issue as I had one earlier with a specific model that was tough but changing those numbers slightly helped stabilize it fully, and the issue never came back.)

Thanks - Gunny

GunnyJeeves 05-28-2014 06:29 PM

BTW: The previous issue was with the module in a 9XR. (Just got the Taranis this week)

Will also check with a different ESC to see if voltage is a problem.

thepiper92 05-28-2014 07:00 PM

Sounds like the module is messing up. Are your channels setup properly though? With my UMX SBach throttle was channel one I think, ailerons channel 3.

GunnyJeeves 05-28-2014 07:13 PM

Yep channels are fine.

Spektrum is TAER (Throttle = 1, Aileron = 2, Elevator = 3, and Rudder = 4)

The UMX and parkzone micro stuff is fine. Just one plane causes violent shaking of the servos with certain receivers.

It could be a BEC issue, Servo issue, REC, module, or even minor timing / setting issue.

Just curious if folks have used taranis with orangeRX module with certain settings for DSM2.

GunnyJeeves 05-28-2014 07:16 PM

Just noting that it seems repeatable using the type of receiver and module combination... OrangeRX 6CH Full Range + OrangeRX module.

OrangeRX Module + Spek rec = Fine... DX6I + ORX 6CH Full Range = Fine...

That's why I am thinking it is something with timing.

GunnyJeeves 05-28-2014 07:45 PM

Going back in and re-checking other planes... I think it is a binding issue. Will make sense in a sec:

1. Bind an old $5 OrangeRX - Fine works great! No light on the back of transmitter module.
2. Bind the $12 orangeRX full range - Green light is flashing once... (DSM2 but some faster rate...) - Jitter happens.
3. Tripple click the orangeRX module to alter the mode... (Repeat till jitter goes away)

Gonna recheck the blinking green light's meanings.

GunnyJeeves 05-28-2014 07:48 PM

LED Working Mode
-------------------------------------
OFF DSM2 1024/22ms
* DSM2 2048/11ms
** DSMX22ms
*** OSMX 11ms

JetPlaneFlyer 05-28-2014 08:59 PM

Could it be that you bound in 11ms mode with servos that dont support 11ms (eg most analogue servos)

The older Orange Rx wont have the problem because it wont support 11ms so would by default bind in 22ms.

GunnyJeeves 05-28-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 949240)
Could it be that you bound in 11ms mode with servos that dont support 11ms (eg most analogue servos)

The older Orange Rx wont have the problem because it wont support 11ms so would by default bind in 22ms.

And a Cigar goes to the Jetplaneflyer :D

Yep that was exactly it.