WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Ducted Fan Jets (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Freewing 90mm F-18 Super Hornet v3 (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73822)

max2112 05-31-2014 09:32 PM

Freewing 90mm F-18 Super Hornet v3

5 Attachment(s)
I saved up my allowance for a few months and bought the FreeWing 90mm F-18 Super Hornet EDF from Motion RC. This is my 3rd purchase from there and I definitely recommend them. It is the same model that Hobby-Lobby (now Hobby Express) introduced a while back.

It took me a while to convince myself to spend that much money on a foam model, but I believe it was worth it. To outfit a composite or balsa EDF of similar dimensions would have cost almost double.

I maidened her last weekend and couldn't be happier.
This plane is a blast to fly!

The roll out was fairly short. Trim was about 10 clicks left aileron and the elevator required none.

The retracts worked perfectly and she is very stable and predictable in the air.

I am really looking forward to flying this model more and getting to know it better.

max2112 05-31-2014 09:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
SPECS:
Wingspan 37.4in
Length 52in
Weight 74oz / 2100g
85A, 5A Internal BEC
90mm EDF
22.2volt 3700mAh 30C LIPO. I use two 3 cells in series.

Here are some more pictures of the maiden flight. I'll work on posting the video next.

xmech2k 06-01-2014 04:05 AM

Congrats on the good maiden! Looks great! Does this have thrust vectoring? That's one of my pet peeves. Putting thrust vectoring on things like F-18's, F-16's. Next thing you know, they'll be adding it to Me-262's, Meteor's, F-80's...

Well, that's just me. I'm not the only RC customer in the world, eh? :rolleyes:

max2112 06-01-2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 949439)
Congrats on the good maiden! Looks great! Does this have thrust vectoring? That's one of my pet peeves. Putting thrust vectoring on things like F-18's, F-16's. Next thing you know, they'll be adding it to Me-262's, Meteor's, F-80's...

Well, that's just me. I'm not the only RC customer in the world, eh? :rolleyes:

Thanks xmech2k, I agree with you. I enjoy scale flying with all models, especially warbirds.

This one doesn't have rudders and I read that it was hard to ROG so I left the elevator and rudder thrust vectoring on. I disabled the mixing to turn off the horizontal axis.

I can still achieve pretty scale flight with good thumb management. :)

max2112 06-01-2014 10:22 PM

Video

Let's see if I can get this video to work.

Nothing fancy. Even with editing the takeoff and landing are the best parts. :)

http://youtu.be/qjiEOF9Hn08

Fishbonez 06-02-2014 03:17 AM

Well done Max
I'm curious did the model come with an adapter to place the bats in series or did you have to create your own

max2112 06-02-2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbonez (Post 949516)
Well done Max
I'm curious did the model come with an adapter to place the bats in series or did you have to create your own

One more point as to why I love this model. It came with it, but it is built into the ESC wiring.

The PnP comes with the pre-installed ESC that is wired for a series connection. It has two male Deans style receptacles for your batteries to plug in to. If you prefer one 6 cell LiPo, no problem. It also comes with a deans jumper plug that goes on the innermost plug.

Fishbonez 06-02-2014 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max2112 (Post 949520)
One more point as to why I love this model. It came with it, but it is built into the ESC wiring.

The PnP comes with the pre-installed ESC that is wired for a series connection. It has two male Deans style receptacles for your batteries to plug in to. If you prefer one 6 cell LiPo, no problem. It also comes with a deans jumper plug that goes on the innermost plug.

Very nice. I am not a deans plug fan so that would be a lot of resoldering but I think their is another 90mm edf to go on the "some day, wish list"

waytooslow 06-02-2014 04:25 PM

Nice EDF Fish -- I am green with envy>>

dahawk 06-02-2014 06:42 PM

Max,

Nice vid and great looking plane !

max2112 06-07-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 949563)
Max,

Nice vid and great looking plane !

Thanks hawk.
I got to fly it again, so that's three flights. The wind made today a bit trickier. I am lucky to have a lot of room and just landed a bit faster than normal.

This model is a beast. Except for the last 15 feet while landing, she wasn't affected by the wind at all. I'm guessing a sustained 10 mph w/ 18-20 mph gust.

dahawk 06-07-2014 07:32 PM

Awesome, I love the FA/18. Me want. Thinking Christmas 2014.

The biggest edf's I have currently are 70mm. The FMS F4J Phantom, the Unique Models T-50 and the Flight Test / Dollar Tree Viggen. Would like to move up to a 90mm someday. Or even the FW 80mm A-6 or F-86. More is better, mainly.

Problem I have is we have a grass field, so more hand launching than not. I'm still working on getting the T-50 to rog but I think there's hope.

Thanks to Waytooslow and some other club members our field is starting to look like a fairway at Augusta.

max2112 06-17-2014 03:56 AM

[QUOTE=dahawk;950003]Awesome, I love the FA/18. Me want. Thinking Christmas 2014.

The biggest edf's I have currently are 70mm. The FMS F4J Phantom, the Unique Models T-50 and the Flight Test / Dollar Tree Viggen. Would like to move up to a 90mm someday. Or even the FW 80mm A-6 or F-86. More is better, mainly...QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I was drooling over the 80mm A6 Intruder too. I almost got it instead of the F-18.

That T-50 looks awesome. How does it fly?

max2112 07-16-2014 06:11 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Flights 4, 5 and 6 are in the books. This model just continues impress. Very good flight characteristics and more than decent power.

I finally have entered into the APV arena with a Mobius hidef camera. I took some pretty neat video last weekend.

Here are a few photo grabs from the video.

Enjoy.:)

dahawk 07-16-2014 06:32 AM

Max ,

Very cool. I almost popped for the F/A 18 but ended up with the 80mm A-6 Intruder. Yet to maiden but I'm confident it will rog.

T-50 is still a project. I'm dealing with a grass field, albeit, short grass. Still trying to make it a plane versus a car. I'll get there eventually. LOL

I heard the next 80mm FW will be the Mirage. Oh the pain.

Fishbonez 07-16-2014 04:09 PM

Very Cool Max.
This might show up on the ole Christmas list

TimothyGutierrez 10-31-2014 08:33 AM

I'm sure you got your flying techniques much better than ours!

crxmanpat 10-31-2014 05:26 PM

I just bought the A-6 Intruder 80mm from MotionRC, and the 90mm F-18 is on my list! I saw the F-18 flying at an event recently and it looks really sharp.

Freewing is also coming out with an 80mm F-5N and a 90mm F-16 soon. Both of which will be in my hanger eventually as well. ;)

dahawk 10-31-2014 07:10 PM

+1 on the A6 though I augured mine in. Complete loss of rx. Nice plane while she lasted. Easy flier but try not to exceed 3.5 min. Anxiously awaiting the FW 80mm F5N. Will transfer saved A6 components into the kit version. Looking like December/ January time from MotionRC. Have the Stinger 90 in my crosshairs . Cannot find a bad review about this girl.

The only thing I'm leery about with the FA/18 SH is the vectored thrust feature. I suppose it works well considering lack of dual rudders but... Oh well. Leave it at that.

-Hawk

crxmanpat 10-31-2014 07:58 PM

You can disable TV too if you want. The real one doesn't have it, and I like to fly scale, so I'll probably remove the servos, fix the nozzles in place, and cover the servo pockets.

I've been eyeing the Stinger 90 too, but for some reason I just can't seem to bring myself to buy a non-military jet. :p> I had a Habu once, and it just wasn't "fun" for me.

TimothyGutierrez 11-07-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max2112 (Post 949424)
I saved up my allowance for a few months and bought the FreeWing 90mm F-18 Super Hornet EDF from Motion RC. This is my 3rd purchase from there and I definitely recommend them. It is the same model that Hobby-Lobby (now Hobby Express) introduced a while back.

It took me a while to convince myself to spend that much money on a foam model, but I believe it was worth it. To outfit a composite or balsa EDF of similar dimensions would have cost almost double.

I maidened her last weekend and couldn't be happier.
This plane is a blast to fly!

The roll out was fairly short. Trim was about 10 clicks left aileron and the elevator required none.

The retracts worked perfectly and she is very stable and predictable in the air.

I am really looking forward to flying this model more and getting to know it better.

That just gave me a hint on where to buy the cheapest ones.

crxmanpat 11-07-2014 03:16 PM

If you live in the US, MotionRC is definitely the place to buy from. Free shipping on orders over $100, which qualifies for almost every single plane they carry. I got the A-6 Intruder for $299 shipped. And I'm pulling the trigger on the FMS B-25 today.

dahawk 11-07-2014 05:24 PM

Pat,

Green w/ envy on the FMS B-25. I have the V7.5 P-51 BBD in the 1450mm series. Nicely built. I'm up to plane #6 with Motion and they never disappoint. Those guys understand customer service and more so, logistics.

I did see a new P-38 coming out soon that caught my eye. 83" WS :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274566 Not too many good ones out there.

Anxiously await the FW F5N. I did learn the root cause for augering-in my A6 into a muddy ditch. Turns out my DX-9 had an internal loose connection. I could literally tap the front of the case near the light bar and make it go off or on. Oy vay.

All this time, I was blaming the Berumda Triangle, faulty esc's, faulty rx's, my dog, etc. Lost at least 3 good planes to this.

-Hawk

max2112 11-13-2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 960923)
+1 on the A6 though I augured mine in. Complete loss of rx. Nice plane while she lasted. Easy flier but try not to exceed 3.5 min. Anxiously awaiting the FW 80mm F5N. Will transfer saved A6 components into the kit version. Looking like December/ January time from MotionRC. Have the Stinger 90 in my crosshairs . Cannot find a bad review about this girl.

The only thing I'm leery about with the FA/18 SH is the vectored thrust feature. I suppose it works well considering lack of dual rudders but... Oh well. Leave it at that.

-Hawk

Sorry to read about your A6 Hawk. You should start a thread when you start your F5N build. I'd like to see that. :)

max2112 11-13-2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyGutierrez (Post 961338)
That just gave me a hint on where to buy the cheapest ones.

hi Tim. Anything to share the madness.

and Welcome to WattFlyer! It's always great to see new faces. :D