WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dynam Waco Motor Failure (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73874)

garyp1029 06-11-2014 07:36 PM

Dynam Waco Motor Failure

This morning I flew my Dynam Waco (using the stock set-up 4s 2200 battery and 12/6 prop) for the first time (and it flew beautifully), but on the 3rd flight the motor began making a loud metallic noise, so I landed the plane. I found the drive shaft/propellar almost frozen and very difficult to turn. It seemed to catch every few mm of hand turning. When I first unboxed the plane I had noticed a mild catching, but being an electric newbie I thought it would loosen up after running. Obviously, I was wrong. The motors of my first two planes---Apprentice and Super Sportster rxr---turn freely and smoothly. I emailed Nitro this AM and told them the story and asked for a new replacement motor. The phone number on their website---626 968-9860---does not work, and the substitute given is only 7 digits long---626 0664---and is therefore incomplete. SO . . . do you agree that the motor was defective OR is there another factor that should be considered???? Thanks. Gary P.S.--Does anyone have their complete 10 digit number?

fhhuber 06-11-2014 08:31 PM

Hard to say but normally these motors only fail from defect or foreign objects getting into them. Many hours of use on the motors I have from models in this series.

Dynam usually makes good motors. I've never had one fail and I have 4 Dynam motors that are over 8 years old. Reports of failures that are not due to crash damage are rare.

simibill 06-11-2014 08:52 PM

[QUOTEThe phone number on their website---626 968-9860[/QUOTE]

I called the number and got a response to choose sales or tech support. They also have a live chat function you might try.

kyleservicetech 06-11-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyp1029 (Post 950301)
This morning I flew my Dynam Waco (using the stock set-up 4s 2200 battery and 12/6 prop) for the first time (and it flew beautifully), but on the 3rd flight the motor began making a loud metallic noise, so I landed the plane. I found the drive shaft/propellar almost frozen and very difficult to turn. It seemed to catch every few mm of hand turning. When I first unboxed the plane I had noticed a mild catching, but being an electric newbie I thought it would loosen up after running. Obviously, I was wrong. The motors of my first two planes---Apprentice and Super Sportster rxr---turn freely and smoothly. I emailed Nitro this AM and told them the story and asked for a new replacement motor. The phone number on their website---626 968-9860---does not work, and the substitute given is only 7 digits long---626 0664---and is therefore incomplete. SO . . . do you agree that the motor was defective OR is there another factor that should be considered???? Thanks. Gary P.S.--Does anyone have their complete 10 digit number?

I wonder if a magnet came loose?

mclarkson 06-11-2014 09:15 PM

That was my thought as well. That, or some foreign matter in the motor.

garyp1029 06-11-2014 09:32 PM

I got the original phone number working and got through to Nitro. They told me to send the motor back for replacement. I took the motor off and found that the 4 screws holding the motor onto the X mount were loose, in fact very loose. When turned by hand the crankshaft turns with a clunk, clunk, clunk noise. I don't know what the problems is, but I suspect it was there from the start and damaged the motor even more from flying. As I said there was a little "hitch" in the motor out of the box. I guess I should have notified Nitro at that time. Anyway, I'll mail it back today. Thanks. Gary

fhhuber 06-12-2014 12:00 AM

sounding a bit like a loose screw got in the motor.