WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Power Systems (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Torque Revolution 4016-500 and Castle Phoenix Edge (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73901)

GoneFlyin74 06-16-2014 03:44 AM

Torque Revolution 4016-500 and Castle Phoenix Edge

Good Evening,

Yesterday I finally got my Castle Creation Edge and Torque Revolution 4016-500 hooked up. Everything seemed to be going well. When I was testing it, when stopping it would slow down and then suddenly stop. I checked to make sure braking wasn't on and it wasn't. Didn't really worry about it too much as it was not a big issue. I put everything back together and was fine tuning everything when it all went bad. The volume on the speed control was extremely limited and I get the error code failed to start. I have an external BEC and that is working fine so it is probably not the battery. I tried a couple other batteries with the same results. The ESC and Motor are brand new. I do not have a spare ESC or motor to test it with to see if it is an issue with the ESC or motor. When the motor tries to start I hear this clicking. I also checked the log and the maximum current was 46 Amps on a 75 Amp ESC.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

????

Wildflyer 06-16-2014 06:27 AM

Check all connections to be certain they are tight, especially between the ESC and motor.

Check your bullet connectors if you are using the ones from Castle. A friend of mine had 6mm Castle bullets on a similar size motor, but when fully engaged they would turn freely and not make solid connection. We had to solder them together to stop the problem. They were OK until the last 1/16", then they would turn.

If there are any bad connections, a brushless may act like you say.

GoneFlyin74 06-16-2014 06:42 AM

Does the type of solder matter? Silver vs Standard

Wildflyer 06-17-2014 07:26 AM

True silver solder requires way too much heat for electrical work, It is usually a structural solder. I used it to solder my strut and final shaft bearing tube together on my 40 hydro.

I just use regular rosin core ( not acid! ) solder on all of my electric plane connections.
Make sure the metal is hot enough to melt the solder, and then do not allow the connection to move until it cools below the solder's melting point, or you will get what we call a cold solder joint. They don't work good and they look just kind of grey not shiny.

These motors and speed controls need perfect connections to work as they should.

JetPlaneFlyer 06-17-2014 08:26 AM

+1 on above advice. Often the problem is caused by a bad connection at one of the bullets between motor and ESC, either a dirty connector or bad solder joint.

Silver solder is only used for joining steel components where high strength is required. The working temperature is far too hot for electrical work, it requires a brazing torch to melt it.

GoneFlyin74 06-17-2014 07:48 PM

Problem Solved

Thanks all,

I had a bad solder joint from the ESC to the motor. Re-soldered joint and it works like a champ.