WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   SR Batteries X250X (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73913)

Ohm 06-18-2014 07:48 AM

SR Batteries X250X
 
2 Attachment(s)
MY X250 was a great flying plane. A dysfunctional Max 500mAh NiMh is responsible for stall shortly after take off that demolished the nose and pulverized the brushed power system. The carcus hung in the rafters of the hanger for many years until a visitor didn't understand why I keep what looked like junk. Well I said it's mostly dead not completely dead. He didn't believe me....I wanted to upgrade the frame any how with a steerable nose wheel, 2 aileron servos, and Lipo BL power system. The nice thing about a project like this is... instruction? we don't need no stinkin instructions!:)

RobinA 06-18-2014 12:54 PM

Looks like a good project...............

Robin

Ohm 06-18-2014 06:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Should move right along no complex details to sweat and I have the patterns from the kit to copy for the major components. The wing and stabs are built just have to extract them from the wreck. The new hybrid fuse will be concocted of DT foam, CF, balsa, fiberglass matt and light weight weave, epoxy and Weldbond glue.

Ohm 06-18-2014 09:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The 1/2A Dubro steerable nose wheel fits nicely. The power transducer will be an Aeolian C3530 KV1100 a Hobby King Super Brain 20A ESC and a 1350 3S Thunder power pack.

Ohm 06-19-2014 04:34 AM

6 Attachment(s)
More pics of the construction.

Ohm 06-19-2014 06:29 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Custom direct drive steering.

Ohm 06-25-2014 05:59 PM

8 Attachment(s)
All coming together,

Ohm 06-25-2014 06:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The cover story for the funky Sperm whale looking nose is as follows: This is a proto type aircraft utilizing a WW2 submarine diesel engine. The engine is a vertical flat 26 cylinder two stroke. The forced induction 30.L engine produced 3000 HP and 2000 FtLbs of torque @ 550 Rpm hence the need for an overdrive gear box to get the prop up to speed. :rolleyes:

Ohm 06-25-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinA (Post 950795)
Looks like a good project...............


Robin

So far so good, considering I'm not really changing the base design I anticipate it will be a great flyer again. The weight is looking at coming in under spec, "light is might" as they say.

Ohm 06-27-2014 05:12 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Scrap covering sorta like wearing plade, strips and polka dots.

Ohm 06-27-2014 05:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The wheels are to small as the prop kept scraping on small bumps. The direct drive steering works OK. Removing the slop in the whole mechanism will improve the steering and I need to tow in the mains a bit. Maybe bigger wheels?

Ohm 06-27-2014 10:59 PM

It's alive!
http://http://youtu.be/aBEfY4BrXr0
Notice how quite the motor is. My isolation mounts are working nicely.
The camera ran out of space just at the wrong moment.

Ohm 07-01-2014 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://http://youtu.be/aBEfY4BrXr0
Link test. I don't get it, this worked before ? something about intranet settings and won't display page. Copy and paste works
I installed some larger wheels for better ground clearance, which overloaded the i300 servo. The additional load didn't brake the servo gears but the it can't hold the wheel above walking speed. I don't have a small enough metal gear servo on hand so I'm installing the i500 which has 3 times the torque of the 300. I'm sure once the servo is strong enough to hold the wheel it will break the gears. But if it will last long enough to get it maiden I'll be happy. In the mean time I'll order up a micro metal gear servo.

Ohm 07-06-2014 10:01 PM

The opportunity to maiden the new X250 arrived. Any test that comes back in operable condition is a success although there is some tweaking needed. First taxi and range test went well and the ground handling was excellent considering the 000000 grit sandpaper runway. A WOT burst and it was in the air in 15ft or so Set the throttle to about 65% and trimmed the elevator and aileron. It settled right in. Then I flipped on the gyro and the plane started having spasms which at the time I couldn't identify what was going on so I flipped it off. I left it alone for the second flight. I checked the settings at preflight on batt.3 and discovered I had the rudder backwards and obviously way to much gain. The third take was aborted when the direct drive steering servo failed and it plowed the prop as it made a hard left resulting in some minor wing tip scraps and a need for a new prop. The Kv of this motor is on the light side for this prop. After a few more flights with different props for data purposes, I'll give this motor a proper wind.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.08541 seconds with 13 queries