WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   3D Flying (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PZ Visionaire (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73934)

dereckbc 06-20-2014 11:27 PM

PZ Visionaire

Hey guys been a while. Moved down south to Panama and that has taken up a lot of my time. Anyway just got a brand new ParkzZone VisionAire and am confused about the receiver. It is similar to my Apprentice S with Safe Technology RX that can be switched from Beginner, Intermediate, Advance all the 3-position Flap channel.

With that said the book does not appear to address how to switch from Standard to 3D modes. I have Dual Rates and Expo set up on my DX7. I suspect it might be on Channel 5, the gear channel, but I do not know. Can someone save me an expensive LD call to HH and straighten me out.

What am I missing here?

Pilot Error 06-21-2014 04:27 PM

There should be a book for just the 635 RX in your packaging somewhere. IIRC it's the gear switch, depending on which TX you use. I have a DX6i. Easy way to test, but the battery in the plane, pick it up and move it around on one of it's axis. You will see and hear the control surface move. Now flip the switch and try it again. If you have the right channel switched it will still move the control surface, just not as much. Make sense?

I have my AS3X turned off in mine so I can't remember exactly, and I packed away the RX manual.

dereckbc 06-21-2014 04:38 PM

Yes I understand as that is how the Apprentice S works. What bothers me is the Visionaire manual does not mention anything about tit and I do not have a separate book covering the RX.

JetPlaneFlyer 06-21-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dereckbc (Post 951072)
I do not have a separate book covering the RX.

Easy fixed: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...er-SPMAR635#t6

rcers 06-21-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dereckbc (Post 951031)
...Anyway just got a brand new ParkzZone VisionAire and am confused about the receiver.

It is a 3 axis stabilizer receiver.

Quote:

... It is similar to my Apprentice S with Safe Technology RX that can be switched from Beginner, Intermediate, Advance all the 3-position Flap channel.

Nope - it is not like that at all. This is not a Beginner plane and has no return to stable position. Rather it weeds out unwanted responses (from wind etc) and will keep the airplane in the commanded attitude without correction.

This is not a training aide IN ANY WAY.

Quote:

...With that said the book does not appear to address how to switch from Standard to 3D modes.

The RX manual points out how to change the gains and sensitivity of the RX. I found the out of the box settings to be perfect however. I would not touch the default settings as it is perfect out of the Visonaire box IMHO.

Quote:

...I have Dual Rates and Expo set up on my DX7.

DX7 or DX7s? If you have the new DX7s you can download the setup for this plane and it works wonderfully.

Quote:

...What am I missing here?

Much better than the manual - RCGroups has a LONG thread on the AR635 RX and all its settings. Also a giant Visionaire thread that might help too.

I LOVE THIS PLANE. Likely my all time favorite RC aircraft ever - and that is saying something!

Of note - you MUST address trim mechanically, or you will fight the plane. That is VERY important. I know guys that hated the plane because they were using radio trims (a BIG NO-NO). This is simply because the RX will always see zero as it's preset value - not your trim setting. Heli guys know this issue well, as they are used to using Gyro's. :)

Mike

JetPlaneFlyer 06-21-2014 07:19 PM

With helis a lot of people disable the trims in the programming (if you Tx allows). This prevents inadvertent operation of trims messing up the gyros. Personally I've found that a click or two doesn't really cause any obvious issues but for sure it's best to leave all trims centred so be sure.

Pilot Error 06-22-2014 05:27 PM

I just re-read my post and realized that I posted that I had a DX5...Duh it's a DX6i...I'm not awake yet when I posted that..

dereckbc 06-24-2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 951083)
DX7 or DX7s? If you have the new DX7s you can download the setup for this plane and it works wonderfully.

DX7S and I did download the setup.

Quote:

Much better than the manual - RCGroups has a LONG thread on the AR635 RX and all its settings. Also a giant Visionaire thread that might help too.

Yeah I found that thread and its 1000 pages. Kind of hard to find what I am looking for in that thread. Beside I like this forum better.

Quote:

Of note - you MUST address trim mechanically, or you will fight the plane. That is VERY important.

Can you expand on that a bit?

I assume you mean by centering the control arms and adjusting clevises so all the control surface are flush with the plane RX and TX turned on with controls centered?

rcers 06-24-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dereckbc (Post 951243)
DX7S and I did download the setup.

Awesome - then you are in perfect land. :) That is the designers setup and I have found it to be spot on. So do this. Turn on your TX and put the batt in the VA. Then hold full up elevator. Flip the gear switch. It should go from a tiny amount of up to a whole bunch.

THAT is the switch you need to know about. That will enable you to go from tame to wild in one switch. It controls all three surfaces, elevator, ailerons and rudder. I am 98% sure on that so check. I like mine all on one switch so I may have adjusted mine but pretty sure that is the case from QQ too!

Quote:

Yeah I found that thread and its 1000 pages. Kind of hard to find what I am looking for in that thread. Beside I like this forum better.

Understood - but you need to also focus on where the most thought is on the subject too. I love Wattflyer - but when you need volume RCG is very good. Search the thread feature works well and weeds out the junk (and there is plently of that....).

Quote:

Can you expand on that a bit?

I assume you mean by centering the control arms and adjusting clevises so all the control surface are flush with the plane RX and TX turned on with controls centered?

Sure.

Think about it this way. That receiver and the Gyros MUST know what neutral is. That is a key starting reference for the entire system and all it does. It has to know what neutral control is on the aircraft NOT where you "trim" it to be neutral. The software on the RX has no idea where you set the neutral trim - only the TX knows that.

That is bad. So we have to fix it.

So I will describe my first 10-15 flights of the VA for you and recommend the same. Sound good? :red:

Set the battery in a spot - my 2200 3s back are in the dead center of the tray. Start there it is pretty close to good. This matters as the battery and more importantly the CG are affected by this. That in turn affects elevator trim - this is why it is important.

Fly the plane on a day with light winds - trim it (yea I know I said not to do that - but hang with me!). Land. Go back to the pits (leave everything on). Start with rudder. Count how many clicks of trim you applied (if any). Take careful note of exactly how far the surface moves from where you trimmed it to where center trim detent is.

Set the trim to center and adjust the CLEVIS on the rudder horn to match the deflection you had with trim. On rudder this should be dead on center but sometimes it is hard to see that.

Repeat this exact same process with ailerons and elevator.

What you are doing here is what we all had to do in the good old days - manually resetting surfaces so our trims would center.

Once you have done this the first time, go fly again. Take off, fly, and trim. Land. Your first changes won't be perfect. Repeat the process I described above for EACH flight surface.

Repeat this entire process of fly trim land, adjust until you fly a flight without any trim changes. Then you are done!

It took me about 10 flights to do this. MOST of that was setting the CG right and then setting the elevator trim to match MY preferred CG. My rudder was perfect after the first flight, ailerons after about flight 5. Elevator (with my CG changes) took about 10 flights.

It is SUPER boring to do this - but it is needed. !!!! This is what your heli friends do on all their stuff - so they won't be very sympathetic.

Once you have this all setup - this airplane is a freak. It will fly almost trainer easy (other than it won't self correct!!!!) and will also go from that mild to super wild with the flip of the dual rate switch.

I am not a 3D guy - but the VA is such a wonderful sport aircraft too. It will stay pointed in the direction you leave it and those Gyro's will keep it on heading - like like and arrow or dart.

Enjoy! The VA is brilliant. The AS3X is brilliant. The design is brilliant. Can you tell I like this plane? :)

Mike

dereckbc 06-24-2014 08:46 PM

OK made my maiden flight and it is still in one peice although a bit of a bent up landing gear.

When I took off it tried to go straight up and roll left. If I had not pushed down on the elevator and left aileron would have been a disaster.

Trimmed it out so I could gain control to fly around a bit, but when landed came down a bit hard. No real damage other than find of bent the main gear out which was easily fixed.

I think the plane was slightly tail heave because I did not have the battery far enough forward. When I installed the battery I did so facing the connector side forward which did not allow the battery to go far enough forward in the battery compartment which was confirmed post flight with a CG test. Lesson learned install battery with connector side toward rear of aircraft stupid me.

Not certain why it wanted to roll as the aileraons look good on the ground. Perhaps P factor. However i did notice the rudder was ever so slightly off for left yaw.

Anyway perfect day here in North TX with calm winds. Will go back out after dinner this evening and give her another spin. Hopefully with less exciting results.

dereckbc 06-24-2014 08:50 PM

How Big

Quick follow up question. How big of a battery can one push into this plane?

I have a half dozen Glacier G30-2600-3S1P batteries I would like to try if possible.

But as fail safe I also have half a dozen Hyperion CX G3 2100 mah packs which are exactly the same size as the cheap PZ battery that came with the plane I use in my Extra 300.

rcers 06-24-2014 09:30 PM

Those should fit just fine. Much bigger adds a good deal of weight - so watch that.

Make sure you get the throws adjusted at the clevis and back out the trim. :)

Happy to help....if you want to meet at the field down here... :)

Mike

dereckbc 06-24-2014 10:32 PM

Mike what are your plans for the 4th?

At Texoma RC Feild we have a 4th of July event. Burgers and Dogs around 5 to 6, club meeting at 7, an da lot of our big members with RV's and trailers show up to put on a pretty good show of scale models. Family is welcome and fire works are permitted. Even have one guy we call Moron lets folks shoot fireworks at his plane after dark

It is a lot of fun and good ole fashion family 4th of July. FWIW you can bring alcohol but no flying if you drink.

rcers 06-25-2014 02:53 AM

We have plans but it sounds like fun! Who is your president now? I went to one electric event up there - and lets just say a few of us had a less than inviting feeling, sadly from the club President. I am trying to remember his name, but it escapes me now.

Mike

dereckbc 06-25-2014 03:14 AM

David is all I will say on the forum. At least last time I checked. Really sorry you had a bad experience. Did he look like he just came off the set of Duck Dynasty and look like Si?

I do know a lot of members come up from McKinney to use our feild and that has caused some problems.

rcers 06-25-2014 03:44 AM

No that isn't him. This guy was big, maybe Dan? Very big. He was clean cut and made sure we all knew he was the boss. It was several years ago, maybe 5 or so?

Joe Denny? (I think a minister or ex minister) ran the event and was as nice as could be. He spent a good deal of the time apologizing.

Anyway life is good....

Mike

bob_nj 08-03-2014 11:07 AM

I just posted an AR635 and the micro digital servos out of my VisionAire in the classifieds.

They have 6 flights on them and are in excellent shape.

Take care
Bob