WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   ParkFlyers (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Absolutely hate this mircolite flim (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73937)

time bandit 06-21-2014 02:40 PM

Absolutely hate this mircolite flim

Trying to get the :censor: backing off is driving me crazy!! I'm using Coverite Microlite. No problem with tacking and tightening it however.

solentlife 06-21-2014 02:58 PM

Try the old trick .... get some sellotape - some of you call it Scotch Tape ...

Put one small piece on one side ... another small piece on other side ... both at the corner of a piece of film with enough proud to hold onto ..... now pull the two bits of tape apart ... Viola !

If you have masking tape - the paper stuff that you use when painting - that is easier to use.

Another way is the 'finger-nail trick' ...........

Get a clean unruffled / uncreased corner. Now fold over a small corner about 1/2" .. with your thumb nail ... drag hard from the fold back into the main part of the film on the backing side ... with practice - the folded backing will lift at the corner enough to allow you to grab and pull away.

Best is the tape though - works every time.

Nigel

time bandit 06-21-2014 03:05 PM

I'm using the scotch tape trick and it's 50/50 if it works or not.

time bandit 06-21-2014 03:14 PM

Okay pulling the tape very slowly works better.

time bandit 06-21-2014 04:37 PM

I covered the small part of my rudder no problem, but when I tacked both sides of the main rudder the covering stuck together in two spots and did not release when i heated it up to shrink. Is it better to tack and seal one side at a time?

solentlife 06-21-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by time bandit (Post 951067)
I covered the small part of my rudder no problem, but when I tacked both sides of the main rudder the covering stuck together in two spots and did not release when i heated it up to shrink. Is it better to tack and seal one side at a time?

YES ! Well at least have it tacked down all around on one side before doing other.

When I do elevators / rudders etc. - I do it with one piece to cover both sides. I lay item down on bench ... lay film over and iron down the leading edge, then the side uppermost ... making sure that other half of film is laid out clear ... I carefully trim the first LE film so it just curls round enough to give a strip for the other side film to adhere to.
Roll the item over so film folds round the item ... then iron second side down.
Pulling the last edge round to adhere to first. Trim that leading edge for joint and also round the ends so I can then carefully tack round the item before shrinking.
Sometimes I tack down round the ends as well before turning over ... I carefully cut the film at the ends so the ends do not rumple up when turned.

Nigel

time bandit 06-21-2014 04:58 PM

I did have it tacked down all the way on the first side but not good enough as I see now. There is a learning curve with this vs. monocote.

time bandit 06-21-2014 06:02 PM

Moving along much easier now. :)

solentlife 06-21-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by time bandit (Post 951074)
Moving along much easier now. :)

Practice makes perfect ..........

I've been at this game over 45yrs and I still end up with crap covering !!

Nigel

time bandit 06-21-2014 07:45 PM

Well I still prefer monokote!!! I am getting to be more at ease with this stuff.

solentlife 06-21-2014 07:53 PM

Well personally I prefer Solarfilm and Solartex ...

Nigel

time bandit 06-21-2014 08:06 PM

I thought they were all kind of the same. This isn't transparent covering but you can see the framework in the tail section of my EVA Sport, which isn't what I expected.

time bandit 06-22-2014 12:47 PM

No more posts from me until I'm finished covering and she's ready to be seen. I think I'm getting on everybody's last nerve with all the posts and PM's. :eek:

solentlife 06-22-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by time bandit (Post 951084)
I thought they were all kind of the same. This isn't transparent covering but you can see the framework in the tail section of my EVA Sport, which isn't what I expected.

They are definitely not the same ...

I like the solid feel of HK's but do not like the joints where creep when shrunk leaves a white glue line. Solarfilm never does that.
Oracover on my Ultimate is very good.
Monokote - mmm not many places had it in UK but I was not too keen on it.

TBH - I was split between nylon + dope and film. Depended on the model.

I'm just modifying the plans of a 72" Aerobatic job based on Ushers Megawatt ... a full wood build which I will adapt with alloy spars, foam decks etc. Most likely I will use nylon and water based PVA to cover ... then spray the scheme ...
I want this baby to take some hard flying ...

Nigel

time bandit 06-23-2014 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I lied about not posting till she was done. I'm nowhere near finished but I had to throw up a pic. I will add some extra white and yellow markings here and there to dress up the scheme some more. That is if I can put the Coverite Microlite on top of each other. I have two "Time Bandit" decals I'm itching to put on her somewhere. I must admit the covering was easier to use after I got over the shock of how thin and clingy it was. Attachment 176198

Stevephoon 06-23-2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by time bandit (Post 951143)
.... I must admit the covering was easier to use after I got over the shock of how thin and clingy it was.

Way to "stick" with it! :ws: You'll be flying before you know it.

Steve

And those Time Bandit decals must be applied!