WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chit Chat (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Sciatica is stopping me flying... any cures? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73987)

JetPlaneFlyer 06-28-2014 11:20 AM

Sciatica is stopping me flying... any cures?

So i must have tweaked my back which is causing sciatica giving me very bad pain in my thigh when I stand or walk. As I need to walk about 100m from the car to flying site this is stopping me from flying, which is making me even grumpier than usual. Ibuprofen hardly makes a dent in the pain.

Physio has given me stretching exercises to do but they so far havent made a whole lot of difference. So does anyone have any magic cures for sciatica / back pain? I welcome even the most stupid suggestion, if nothing else it might give me a laugh:(

Steve

dahawk 06-28-2014 01:23 PM

Jet,

Hang upside down. Old golfers remedy. My Dad used to tell stories about helping his buddies by lifting them up on a tree . I guess that's the poor mans way

If there's compression somewhere causing the "metal on metal" effect, it may help relieve the pain.

In the States , there's a device called an inversion table: https://www.teetertv.com/?x=bca Probably a version on your side of the pond.

Pain is bad. I hope you get better soon !

Hawk

Wildflyer 06-28-2014 05:57 PM

As a carpenter for about 50 years, I have had more sciatica than I care to remember.
One time I somehow severely pinched both sciatic nerves at the same time, when I had a muscle spasm while turning to get out of my work truck. I thought I was going to bend or break the steering wheel, because I was pulling on it so hard, trying to get the weight off my hips. I suddenly understood why a person in that much pain, would shoot themselves to stop it. It only lasted for a minute, but it felt like an hour.

I have "fixed" myself sometimes by grabbing a pipe over my head, and trying to lock my hand grip, and let every thing else go limp. It is basically similar to an inversion table. You are trying to remove the normal stack of weight on the spine, and change it to a pulling effect.

Sometimes laying face down on the floor, and having my wife push down on my lower spine, moving up or down about 12 mm at a time. If we got a significant pop out of a joint, I would lay there for maybe 1/2 hour. That helped many times.

Sometimes you just have to go to a GOOD chiropractor. The ones that help me, put one fist under my back at the correct spot, and then push down hard on my arms which are folded across my chest.
Some chiropractors use little thumper gadgets, and tables that bend in the center a little. I was talked into going to this one idiot for 6 weeks, with NO effect. Went to a good one once and I was fine.

I have placed a folded towel under the lower back when i went to bed, when the muscles relaxed about 15 minutes later, some times I would get a sudden realignment in my back.

Good luck, I know how much sciatica can hurt.

fhhuber 06-28-2014 07:00 PM

Bring a chair or wheelchair to the field and sit while you fly.

Extreme case would be to make an "Ed Henry Fly-Seat" (replicates a Piper Cub's front seat including stick and rudder pedals... connects the full scale controls to the RC TX) and have a second person stand behind you to swivel the chair and keep you facing the airplane.

We've had people who needed power wheelchairs learn to fly.

JetPlaneFlyer 06-28-2014 07:50 PM

Hmmm, two weeks ago i was doing a 60 mile off road cycle race in Norway, so I'm not quite ready to give up on the legs and get a wheelchair just yet. The hanging from a bar or upside down is sounding pretty good right now, extending the spine does bring relief.
It's the first time I've experienced it (and hopefully the last) but as I understand it sciatica doesn't usually last too long, so fingers crossed i'll be better in a few days.

Turbojoe 06-29-2014 12:52 AM

I'm in the same situation today. Laid up all weekend. I herniated L4 and L5 about 8 years ago. The biggest help has come from an inversion table and a Sleep Number bed. Sometimes (like now) even they don't help because of the inflammation. I just have to lay flat as much as possible and take naproxen sodium (Aleve). Nothing sucks worse than back pain. It's had a major impact on my life.

Joe

fhhuber 06-29-2014 03:31 AM

Well... there are things that can be worse than back pain... been there with the back pain and worse.

zoltron55 06-29-2014 06:00 AM

I feel for you. getting old is not for wimps ( they would not let use my original wording)

hayofstacks 06-29-2014 06:13 AM

If you have a pretty decent size hill you could easy lie down while flying.

when we go to the salt flats i can't stand to sit in a chair and.fly. my dad does it quite a bit though.

kyleservicetech 06-29-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 951669)
So i must have tweaked my back which is causing sciatica giving me very bad pain in my thigh when I stand or walk. As I need to walk about 100m from the car to flying site this is stopping me from flying, which is making me even grumpier than usual. Ibuprofen hardly makes a dent in the pain.

Physio has given me stretching exercises to do but they so far havent made a whole lot of difference. So does anyone have any magic cures for sciatica / back pain? I welcome even the most stupid suggestion, if nothing else it might give me a laugh:(

Steve

My wife has gone through heck and back with severe back pain, including titanium rods, radio frequency nerve killer procedures, pain pumps and so on.

Bottom line, most back issues resolve them selves after a month or three. If it continues past that, IMHO, it's time to see a very good doctor that specializes in this sort of thing.

fhhuber 06-29-2014 07:01 AM

VA's answer to back pain is... deal with it.

JetPlaneFlyer 06-29-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 951753)
VA's answer to back pain is... deal with it.

Yeah, that's a lot of help:rolleyes:

The back pain itself isn't a big issue, it's the effect the swelling in the back has on the sciatic nerve that leads to severe leg pain that's the show stopper.

I appreciate a touch of sciatica isn't the worst thing in the world, there are many millions in a lot worse position, but for someone used to being fit and mobile it's a real frustration.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, if it carries on I'll certainly look into them.

solentlife 06-29-2014 11:38 AM

I suffer a bit - but that's because of the job .. and I live with it.

If I was as bad as you appear to be JPF ... you really have my sympathy and I think I'd be of to get the very best Chiropractor I could ..

I know some are scam artists and if not careful - can do more damage than good. But I know guys and my ex wife who have had excellent results from a Chiro.

My Ex - the Chiro recc'd a gym as well .. which she now attends .. worked wonders ! The Chiro basically got her up and moving - the gym has kept it going.

Nigel

CHELLIE 06-29-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 951669)

Steve

Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, an inversion table like Hawk suggested may help as well as seeing a good Chiropractor IMHO, Take care, Chellie

kyleservicetech 06-29-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 951755)
Yeah, that's a lot of help:rolleyes:

The back pain itself isn't a big issue, it's the effect the swelling in the back has on the sciatic nerve that leads to severe leg pain that's the show stopper.

I appreciate a touch of sciatica isn't the worst thing in the world, there are many millions in a lot worse position, but for someone used to being fit and mobile it's a real frustration.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, if it carries on I'll certainly look into them.

if you are getting numbness in your legs IHMO, that is nothing to fool around with.

JetPlaneFlyer 06-29-2014 07:03 PM

Yes, there is some numbness and weakness that goes along with the pain. The good news is it seems to be a little better today so hopefully I'm on the mend.

JetPlaneFlyer 07-14-2014 07:45 PM

So the good news is the Sciatica is just about gone. I'm back cycling to work (first time on the bike today since it struck and i felt fine) and can lug my models down to the field with barely a twinge.

After a spell when you can hardly walk it's amazing how great it feels to be able to do all the normal stuff that you usually take for granted.

The physio advised 'core balance' exercises to strengthen the little used muscles in the abdomen and back to prevent re-occurrence. The only trouble is these exercises (a mix of yoga moves and rolling around on a giant ball) make you look like a complete muppet, so I'm not sure I'm brave enough:rolleyes:

fhhuber 07-14-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 953064)
The physio advised 'core balance' exercises to strengthen the little used muscles in the abdomen and back to prevent re-occurrence. The only trouble is these exercises (a mix of yoga moves and rolling around on a giant ball) make you look like a complete muppet, so I'm not sure I'm brave enough:rolleyes:

Do the exercises at home... alone. Don't take video for youtube.

Al_M 07-15-2014 12:40 AM

It is never gone. You will always have to be careful and never stop the exercises.