WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Company Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   So I try to place an order with Hobby King . . . (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74021)

carpetbagger 07-04-2014 07:35 PM

So I try to place an order with Hobby King . . .
 
A trying experience with a crappy website but at last I'm ready to check out. Punch in card info = fail WTF? retry, fail again. Retry with a different card = fail. Call the "customer service" number. HA! No luck there customer service scores zero.

Note: both credit cards are 100% valid and in fact used today with no problem whatsoever.

So far Hobby King scores a zero.

solentlife 07-04-2014 08:35 PM

I have 8 cards and a couple don't work with HK .. another not with another site ... another not with another and so on ...

Not all cards work with all sites. Honest.

With HK - easiest way and actually is slightly cheaper - use Paypal...

Cust. Service needs a little patience and diplomacy ... I always remember that I am talking to someone not from my country ... and speaks English a little different ... so the old adage "slowly .. slowly ... catchee Monkee ... "

Nigel

carpetbagger 07-04-2014 09:23 PM

fail . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 952195)
I have 8 cards and a couple don't work with HK .. another not with another site ... another not with another and so on ...

Not all cards work with all sites. Honest.

With HK - easiest way and actually is slightly cheaper - use Paypal...

Cust. Service needs a little patience and diplomacy ... I always remember that I am talking to someone not from my country ... and speaks English a little different ... so the old adage "slowly .. slowly ... catchee Monkee ... "

Nigel

I have 3 cards and they all work at any other vendor I use and my vendor list spans a variety of interests. Back in the early days of Paypal their site got hacked at least once a month it seemed, so I avoid Paypal. I notice that if a vendor allows Paypal to process the order even though I'm using a credit card it delays the transaction a couple days.

The Customer service I speak of was the 1-800 number on their home page for customer service. Recording: This is for new customers to order, all other inquiries press 2. Press 2 = same message with an add on "If you don't wish place an order, hang up now." So where is the customer service there?

After futzing around the website I cue up live chat. Renalyn answers and I explain the problem. We go round and round and from I gather unless you use Paypal you're screwed. I guess a CC - actually a choice of two CCs - backed with an close to 900 credit score isn't good enough for HK.

Renalyn claims she canceled my order, and at this moment I figure that was my one and only attempt to do business with HK. Maybe in the future if they hire a geek to square away their website, and hire a payment processing organization with a clue I'll try them again, but for now HK is on my no fly list.

Wildflyer 07-05-2014 02:52 AM

Sorry to hear you are had trouble with HK, I have placed 46 orders, with only one problem. I bought 2 very tiny 4 ch Rx's, but 1 little plastic bag was empty, the Rx had never been inside it. There was no creases on the bag as there was on the bag that had a Rx in it, I did go round and round with emails for a few days, but I told them, they had over a $1000 of model stuff I wanted, so you better give me credit for the missing Rx. I received the credit the next day.

I can find no other website that has anywhere near the assortment of things that they have. You absolutely know if things are in stock, and exactly how much weight you can add without paying more shipping.

I wish many other websites were like theirs.

I do use Paypal for everything online, but I keep only enough money in the linked bank account to pay for my orders. If I need more in it I simply go to my banks website and transfer a little in. That way if they did get hacked, I won't lose more than $20. I have not heard of them getting hacked for a long time.

fhhuber 07-05-2014 03:19 AM

Paypal = NO.

Done.

carpetbagger 07-05-2014 03:54 AM

Exactly = no Paypal fer me. Found another website with a similar assortment of stuff like HK and placed my order. Checkout, easy breezy.

thepiper92 07-05-2014 04:45 AM

What is so bad about PayPal? I've had zero issues with PayPal or hk orders, other than shipping through Fiji post.

solentlife 07-05-2014 04:54 AM

Been using Paypal and HK for years .............. never had any problem like OP says ...

The claimed 'delay' by using Paypal .......... sorry - not true. Most of my orders with HK and Paypal ... I can watch the process ... order to warehouse .. packing ... shipping ... and I see no difference in time to when I order from others with CC ...

Nigel

thepiper92 07-05-2014 05:04 AM

Well one issue with PayPal is before I had credit cards. PayPal works by paying the vendor and taking money from account, which takes time apparently, so your order is paid immediately. Initially I had this feature only with bank account, but they removed it for some reason and I then was forced to give a payment 8 days before it was sent out. Now that is not an issue

Wrongway-Feldman 07-05-2014 06:53 AM

Never had a problem with PayPal or hobbyking. 50+ orders and no delays.
Early days of PayPal were problematic but not anymore. I avoid using direct credit card payments online at all costs. I never give out my cc info unless its a fully vetted vendor.
The biggest problem with using cc online that causes an unaccepted card is that the name given doesn't exactly match the name on the card. The way that hobbyking does their checkout leads to this error frequently.

solentlife 07-05-2014 08:27 AM

I often have problems with cards or even Paypal because I travel so much. If I'm in a number of countries .. Venezuela is an example - Paypal detects the IP address and refuses to act.
CC online can do same ...

It's a pain when you travel so much as I do - but in fact it's a good safeguard against fraudulent use.

The funny thing is - the worst case of CC hacking I had was :

I'm sitting in Port of Spain, Trinidad .. I get a text from CC company asking me to call their Support Line.

They transfer me to Fraud section.

My Card has been detected as used in NEW YORK STATE in two locations over a period of 3 days ... total over $4000.... both purchases FURNITURE !!

I of course can prove that I was not in those locations ... money is refunded .. new cards issued etc. etc.

Still to this day - it is hard to understand how my card could have been hacked as I hadn't used THAT card in NY or near ... in fact it was a card that I had only recently had renewed ...

When I think I travel to weird and wonderful places .. some you would not want to go for a holiday !! I am amazed that my cards are not hacked more often. In fact only 2 instances can I recall in all the years ... and only 1 - the NY state one - successfully used ... but as I say - simple questions over phone ... and money was refunded within a few days.

I have only had one Paypal problem that I was angry with Paypal ... I bought a RTF model and the radio was faulty ... the vendor basically told me to buy another !! Paypal failed to sort - in fact all they did was forward my Action email to the Vendor - who pretty well told PP to ***** off !
That was NOT Hobby King before anyone goes of on wrong track ... it was an Ebay listing ...

Nigel

BrianW517 07-05-2014 08:28 AM

HK?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman (Post 952232)
Never had a problem with PayPal or hobbyking. 50+ orders and no delays.
Early days of PayPal were problematic but not anymore. I avoid using direct credit card payments online at all costs. I never give out my cc info unless its a fully vetted vendor.
The biggest problem with using cc online that causes an unaccepted card is that the name given doesn't exactly match the name on the card. The way that hobbyking does their checkout leads to this error frequently.

Always be careful when paying online with CC! Only punch pay once and only once. If the charge doesn't go through the first time, abort CC payment!? :concern:
I punched PAY NOW, and it didn't say it was processed, so I punched PAY NOW, a second time, and ended with two orders! I tried to cancel one order, but was told that it had already been shipped, after only ten minutes after I made the mistake! ::o
Not even superman could package & ship the order that quick. I had to return the second order at my own expense, after it showed up at my home a month later!! :eek:
So much for it had been shipped in ten minutes after ordered!! I no longer purchase at HK!! :mad:

solentlife 07-05-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianW517 (Post 952236)
Always be careful when paying online with CC! Only punch pay once and only once. If the charge doesn't go through the first time, abort CC payment!? :concern:
I punched PAY NOW, and it didn't say it was processed, so I punched PAY NOW, a second time, and ended with two orders! I tried to cancel one order, but was told that it had already been shipped, after only ten minutes after I made the mistake! ::o
Not even superman could package & ship the order that quick. I had to return the second order at my own expense, after it showed up at my home a month later!! :eek:
So much for it had been shipped in ten minutes after ordered!! I no longer purchase at HK!! :mad:

Sorry ... but how can that be HK fault ?

I totally agree though - DO NOT CLICK more than once. Check out the site - your account ... make sure before you attempt it again.

I've had order errors when Internet connection has wavered or cut off ... I often sit at fringes of internet coverage on mobile .. and orders quite often crap out during processing.

I then come out of ordering ... go to my account and check situation ... you need to wait a few minutes for things to refresh .. but once I see what is situation - I then go straight to Online Chat and sort it out.

I have never had any refusal to cancel an order and sometimes it's quite a while after the failed connection.

One of the actions CHAT tries hard to avoid is altering an order ... I have always found they want either of two only ... Complete the order or cancel outright ... and never had any problem with that.
They have always been very good when I ask what is state of the order - paid, pending etc.

I realise that not everyone will have a perfect experience - but that goes for any shop, dealer, online or off ...

I've just completed an order about 15 mins ago ... with HK ... all fine even though my internet connection kept losing the pages ... refreshed page ... checked .... got through the payment ... and there it is ... fine.

Nigel

JetPlaneFlyer 07-05-2014 08:45 AM

I always use Paypal where there is the option to do so and that includes HobbyKing. I do this for two good reasons:
  1. It's more convenient and quicker as i don't need to input my card details.
  2. It's more secure because it means I'm not giving card details to multiple web sites that may get hacked or be subject of other fraud.
I think a lot of people get put off Paypal because it's forced down your throat when trading on eBay, and from a sellers perspective the fees are very high. But as a buyer I dont see any issues with Paypal?

Porcia83 07-05-2014 01:28 PM

I use PP funded by a credit card, always. Have not been burned yet. If PP doesn't come through for whatever reason, the CC company is there to help.

And yes, do not click the buy button more than once, it even says that on the screen when you are clicking to make the purchase.

HK has their ups and downs. I'm up to 30 orders now, only two with issues that PP squared away. When I buy with them overseas, I don't expect my stuff within 30 days. If it happens, yay! If not, I file a PP complain on day 40 and by day 46, my money is back. They have live help, and a ticket system for customer service. Yes, it pales in comparison to Tower, or HH, etc. Then again, then prices do too. You get what ya paid for overall.

I've done three orders for smaller stuff this past month. All from the US, and all were shipped and on their way within 24 hours, which honestly I was amazed at. It usually takes 5-7 days from Hong Kong. US shipping is for the most part more reasonable. Not so much with planes sometimes though....the new Bushmaster costs 47 to ship, but the Cri Cri they just came out with was 17. I know they are different sizes, but that's a pretty drastic difference. Go figure. :)

BrianW517 07-06-2014 03:02 AM

Lucky You!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 952237)
Sorry ... but how can that be HK fault ?

I totally agree though - DO NOT CLICK more than once. Check out the site - your account ... make sure before you attempt it again.

I've had order errors when Internet connection has wavered or cut off ... I often sit at fringes of internet coverage on mobile .. and orders quite often crap out during processing.

I then come out of ordering ... go to my account and check situation ... you need to wait a few minutes for things to refresh .. but once I see what is situation - I then go straight to Online Chat and sort it out.

I have never had any refusal to cancel an order and sometimes it's quite a while after the failed connection.

One of the actions CHAT tries hard to avoid is altering an order ... I have always found they want either of two only ... Complete the order or cancel outright ... and never had any problem with that.
They have always been very good when I ask what is state of the order - paid, pending etc.

I realise that not everyone will have a perfect experience - but that goes for any shop, dealer, online or off ...

I've just completed an order about 15 mins ago ... with HK ... all fine even though my internet connection kept losing the pages ... refreshed page ... checked .... got through the payment ... and there it is ... fine.

Nigel

Lucky You!

solentlife 07-06-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianW517 (Post 952299)
Lucky You!

??


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.08620 seconds with 13 queries