WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   UAV / FPV (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Multi rotor flying rules (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74044)

simibill 07-08-2014 09:51 PM

Multi rotor flying rules

Our club has flight safety rules for airplanes and helicopters, none so far for multi rotor machines. I am wondering if your club has developed any, and if so what are they?

fhhuber 07-08-2014 10:07 PM

If it flies it follows the same rules as everything else that flies. You don't need different rules for fixed wing vs heli vs quad/tri/hex/etc....

simibill 07-08-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 952550)
If it flies it follows the same rules as everything else that flies. You don't need different rules for fixed wing vs heli vs quad/tri/hex/etc....

I don't agree. e.g. we don't allow simultaneous flying of fixed wing and helicopters.

crxmanpat 07-08-2014 10:17 PM

Our club just put in new rules for Multirotor (Section 18). We're lucky that we have a lot of room that can accommodate many forms of RC:

http://azmodelaviators.com/By%20Laws...les%202014.pdf

xmech2k 07-09-2014 01:19 AM

I'll have to check out the rules for your club, Pat. Our club also took the attitude of 'same rules as everyone else', and had to remind some of them after seeing them taking off/landing in the pits, hovering over the pilots flight line, stuff like that. We bring it up and then it's like a light bulb came on. "Oh yeah! What was i thinking?" Some of the older guys said it was a similar situation when the foamies started becoming popular.

fhhuber 07-09-2014 02:11 AM

YOU may not allow simultaneous fixed wing and heli... we haven't had any problems with it.

You can have the same issues with the "3D" fixed wing flying at the same time as the more traditional flying styles as you can when having a heli and a fixed wing... The answer is to have the pilots communicate with each other and no one hogs the runway by extended hovering over it.

The no blocking the runway rule applies to everyone. No sitting out there working on a balky glow engine, no extended hovering over the runway by heli, quad or 3D guys when others want to fly.

Its pretty simple...

Porcia83 07-09-2014 02:17 AM

My club treats them the same as helis, otherwise known as aircraft powered by rotors. They follow the same safety rules as fixed wing, however they have their own separate flying area, and are not allowed on the main runways unless they are doing a demo, and then only one at a time. Helis were not an issue years ago (other than to a select few in the club) and then one day they were gone! Two years later they came back, and there have been no issues to date. Only a few guys fly quads at this point.

Larry3215 07-09-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simibill (Post 952548)
Our club has flight safety rules for airplanes and helicopters, none so far for multi rotor machines. I am wondering if your club has developed any, and if so what are they?

Why would you have different safety rules for quads?

The AMA safety code applies equally to all aircraft. Quads and FPV are fully covered.

Larry3215 07-09-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 952581)
YOU may not allow simultaneous fixed wing and heli... we haven't had any problems with it.

You can have the same issues with the "3D" fixed wing flying at the same time as the more traditional flying styles as you can when having a heli and a fixed wing... The answer is to have the pilots communicate with each other and no one hogs the runway by extended hovering over it.

The no blocking the runway rule applies to everyone. No sitting out there working on a balky glow engine, no extended hovering over the runway by heli, quad or 3D guys when others want to fly.

Its pretty simple...

exactly :)