WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Batteries & Chargers (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Balance wire question (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74321)

mikie 08-18-2014 03:41 PM

Balance wire question

I have 1800 3s lipo which one of the balance leads broke off soldered it back on and now it only shows as a 2s on my charger. Replace the plug with a new balance plug in still the same results. Voltage out of the battery right now is 11.38..????
Thanks mike

JetPlaneFlyer 08-18-2014 03:45 PM

One of the wires must still be broken under the insulation, or a bad solder joint.

solentlife 08-18-2014 04:13 PM

Take multi-meter and you can check EACH cell via the pins of the plug.

The outer pins give total voltage ... each adjacent pair in turn gives each cell....

Nigel

NJSwede 08-18-2014 04:14 PM

Measure voltage between adjacent wires going left to right. You're going to find that one pair shows zero volts.

mikie 08-18-2014 05:24 PM

balance?

checked voltages white 3.74 yellow 7.59 red 3.79 red is the I resolder?

solentlife 08-18-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikie (Post 955465)
checked voltages white 3.74 yellow 7.59 red 3.79 red is the I resolder?

You have to move BOTH meter probes along the plugs pins - not just one ... if you leave one probe at the end pin as you obviously did - you get 1 cell then 2 cells and then you should get 3 cells volts - but you obviously have a problem lead .........

Nigel

fhhuber 08-18-2014 06:18 PM

You can jumper from the + power lead to the most + of the balance plug if that is the failed balance lead wire. Simplest solution.

Use care not to create a short...

solentlife 08-18-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 955469)
You can jumper from the + power lead to the most + of the balance plug if that is the failed balance lead wire. Simplest solution.

Use care not to create a short...

But problem is unless each cell is connected correctly - balance function on charger is not going to work. He already indicates he uses balance vas he quotes 2S for a 3S ...

Personally - I'd carefully peel back the OUTER paper / card cover of the soldered tags on the battery pack end. Check the leads are connected well. Meter lead ends to see if any broken - particularly if they are the hard sort some batterys have. Once sure battery tags are OK - then fold back in place the paper / card and tape over.
Redo the plug connections.

Nigel

JetPlaneFlyer 08-18-2014 08:10 PM

Mikie,
ok, if you were keeping the negative probe from your multimeter fixed on the black wire and moving the positive probe from wire to wire away from black you should have got (approx) 3.8, 7.6, 11.4

The fact that you got 3.8v on the last pin (the red) rather than 11.4v indicates to me that you must have soldered the red wire to the wrong terminal on the battery, that's the only explanation i can think of. It should be soldered to the battery at the same place as where the positive (red) main power wire comes off.

mikie 08-18-2014 11:57 PM

balance wire

You are right on! I solder to the wrong tab. I solder the red wire to the tab that had no wire on it.
You guys are great
thanks