WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why do you fly? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74336)

Stevephoon 08-20-2014 01:51 AM

Why do you fly?

2 Attachment(s)
I was at the club field yesterday rather late and now alone with almost no wind, I was basking in the utter joy of flight.... The club field is in the middle of a state park with nothing around. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Mostly birds and frogs. I felt as free and relaxed as a hawk soaring. Sun going down and it was glistening off the side of the planes... This is exactly what I needed, a perfect set of relaxing flying with my two favorite planes.

This is the main reason I fly, those magic times when everything works and I feel attached to the plane. A perfect end to a stressful day.

Let me say that I also love to build, tinker and trouble shoot... Hanging out and joking with the guys at the club... All good things to like in this hobby. But quiet flights is what really hooked me.

What is the absolutely most enjoyable part of the hobby for you?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/atta...1&d=1408495713

Steve

tobydogs 08-20-2014 02:49 AM

very easy answer..........DITTO!!!!!!!:Q

you said it perfectly, hanging with the buds at the field, beautiful scenery, and of coarse I love flying kit builds and arfs alike. pushing the envelope to get better and seeing improvement in my flights. so much to learn from others so I don't atrophy at home on my days off from work.

I'm also so fortunate to have a supportive wife who expects every Saturday I should go flying, so I do go, and often spend 10am to 3pm like I was at the beach relaxing........by the time I get home I'm exhausted...lol:Q

CHELLIE 08-20-2014 05:24 AM

I Build and Fly Model Aircraft, Because it keeps me Young Looking :D :D :D

Leadchucker 08-20-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevephoon (Post 955563)
.........But quiet flights is what really hooked me.

What is the absolutely most enjoyable part of the hobby for you?

Long flights with a sailplane in fine fettle, roaming the sky riding on invisible magic carpets of rising air currents, accepting the challenge of working with nature to find the next little bit of lift. Rode my first thermal 40 years ago and it never gets old, the one yesterday was as much fun as the first one.

Rockin Robbins 08-20-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadchucker (Post 955587)
Long flights with a sailplane in fine fettle, roaming the sky riding on invisible magic carpets of rising air currents, accepting the challenge of working with nature to find the next little bit of lift. Rode my first thermal 40 years ago and it never gets old, the one yesterday was as much fun as the first one.

And HOW!

RV Winkle 08-20-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 955576)
I Build and Fly Model Aircraft, Because it keeps me Young Looking :D :D :D

Yes it does (said with a leer)

Stevephoon 08-20-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadchucker (Post 955587)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 955591)
And HOW!

Yep... Just getting into electric sail planes as well. Getting 1500 ft up and hour long flights are yet another reason to fly! :)

And of course it keeps me away from the young lookers like Chellie. :rolleyes: Otherwise I wouldn't have the funds to continue.

CHELLIE 08-20-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevephoon (Post 955605)
Yep... Just getting into electric sail planes as well. Getting 1500 ft up and hour long flights are yet another reason to fly! :)

And of course it keeps me away from the young lookers like Chellie. :rolleyes: Otherwise I wouldn't have the funds to continue.

Just admit it, your a Party Animal :D :D :D LOL

firemanbill 08-20-2014 10:15 PM

I got into this hobby because a guy that worked for me got a cheap toy airplane that had a crude cell phone camera in it. It would take a pic every few seconds until the memory was full and he got this really grainy, semi out of focus, wobbly picture of his house from the air and I though that is SO COOL!

I rushed right home and took my wife to bed bath and beyond where he had gotten his, well they were sold out so we raced back home and I got on the relatively new thing called the internet and promptly ordered me a plane from Raidentech. The camera was crap and never worked but when UPS delivered it and I took it out to put it together my then 8 year old son had his eyes light up as big as gold balls.

We flew the dog poo out of that thing and a bunch of others. Often not taking the next proper step in learning the right way to do this thing called flying but we had some successes and boy have we had a ball doing this thing together.

So I guess I started out flying for the wrong reasons but they turned into the right ones very quickly and the life of me and my Son will be forever changed for the good from the hobby we shared.

Now that he is off to college, freshman this year with teh Corp of Cadets at Virginia Tech, playing Trombone in the Regimental Band and studying physics I am sure I will find myself having a few lonely afternoons out at the field. But still enjoying this great hobby.

Will have his transmitter and flight batteries charged for when he gets home for the first time for sure!:D

tobydogs 08-21-2014 12:44 AM

there something to be said for spending a small fortune and many hours building to get a kit plane built and watch it in the air flying.....the risk factor elevates the enjoyment of having success and the thought of having control of something so far up and away is awesome:D.

every time I fly around and land I always feel and think with the same joy "that was nice!!!yes!!!!!".I just don't show it so I look like it's all matter of fact to being with the buds at the field. often I whisper to the planes when carrying them back to the pits after the best flights "your a good ol bird:$,nice flying,glad your still here to fly again"

I just realized I may need therapy.......:blah:....I'm just PLANE crazy:eek:.

carpetbagger 08-21-2014 01:12 PM

I'm with Chellie - flying keeps you young. My theory is if you sit and agitate you will rust. So at age 71 (born the year of the steel penny) I work several shifts a week at the regional airport as the Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighter on duty, and I build and fly models, a relaunched hobby from my younger years. Noodling out all the new to me parameters related to electric flight also keeps my brain busy.

pizzano 08-21-2014 02:16 PM

I too find the hobby keeping the rust off the gray matter and dexterity....(more inclined to believe genetics play the bigger part in keeping me young).

I fly mainly because there's much more room for error and nearly unlimited space to play, less obsticles to negotiate, performance is only limited by my ability/craft design, and because, most of the time, it does not annoy or infringe on another's personal space or environment.

One can probably tell I've been the turf and water route in this hobby......flying is so much more enjoyable and lot less hassle....;)

Tepid Pilot 08-21-2014 02:49 PM

I fly because it's fun, I really am that simple. ;)

TP

Sham 08-21-2014 06:43 PM

I've always loved flight. Now I have a little spare cash, I can indulge myself. I'm lucky to live in a very rural area and so I can fly in dozens of locations and enjoy the scenery and being in control of an aircraft. Just as I dreamed as a kid. Only difference is that I wasn't on the ground in my childhood head.

RV Winkle 08-22-2014 03:26 AM

I like to actually create something and then see it in action under my control.
For the time of my flight the rest of the world and problems cease to exist, the only thing that matters is that flight

zoltron55 08-22-2014 05:04 AM

I was at my close field (local school) & some turkey vultures came by. I put my supercub in their circle they did not seem to mind. wish I videoed it. I love this stuff. also chellie your still a fox

RV Winkle 08-22-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoltron55 (Post 955679)
I was at my close field (local school) & some turkey vultures came by. I put my supercub in their circle they did not seem to mind. wish I videoed it. I love this stuff. also chellie your still a fox

it is fun to circle with the hawks and buzzards. When I get to the field (mixed use) I am always watch for them. They don't mind my sailplane too much but then I don't get too close.

AEAJR 08-24-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobydogs (Post 955565)
very easy answer..........DITTO!!!!!!!:Q

you said it perfectly, hanging with the buds at the field, beautiful scenery, and of coarse I love flying kit builds and arfs alike. pushing the envelope to get better and seeing improvement in my flights. so much to learn from others so I don't atrophy at home on my days off from work.

I'm also so fortunate to have a supportive wife who expects every Saturday I should go flying, so I do go, and often spend 10am to 3pm like I was at the beach relaxing........by the time I get home I'm exhausted...lol:Q

I could not have said it better myself.

I fly thermal duration gliders, electric gliders, slope gliders and hand launched gliders. I have a few electric planes and micro helis too, but mostly I fly gliders. I just find them beautiful in the air and wonderful to fly. Hook a thermal and my spirits rise with the glider.

Add in some contest flying and you have it all.

pd1 08-24-2014 01:53 PM

Steve, I can't say it better so...

"I was at the club field yesterday rather late and now alone with almost no wind, I was basking in the utter joy of flight.... The club field is in the middle of a state park with nothing around. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Mostly birds and frogs. I felt as free and relaxed as a hawk soaring. Sun going down and it was glistening off the side of the planes... This is exactly what I needed, a perfect set of relaxing flying with my two favorite planes.

This is the main reason I fly, those magic times when everything works and I feel attached to the plane. A perfect end to a stressful day.

Let me say that I also love to build, tinker and trouble shoot... Hanging out and joking with the guys at the club... All good things to like in this hobby. But quiet flights is what really hooked me." Steve.

Paul

Cougdave 08-25-2014 03:01 AM

All of the reasons above, and also I really enjoy building planes. Flying them keeps the herd thinned down to the point where Cathie can't complain about me having too many.

Fishbonez 08-25-2014 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot (Post 955636)
I fly because it's fun, I really am that simple. ;)

TP

exactly why I do. I just have way too much fun doing it

kyleservicetech 08-25-2014 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevephoon (Post 955563)
I was at the club field yesterday rather late and now alone with almost no wind, I was basking in the utter joy of flight.... The club field is in the middle of a state park with nothing around. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Mostly birds and frogs. I felt as free and relaxed as a hawk soaring. Sun going down and it was glistening off the side of the planes... This is exactly what I needed, a perfect set of relaxing flying with my two favorite planes.

Let me say that I also love to build, tinker and trouble shoot... Hanging out and joking with the guys at the club... All good things to like in this hobby. But quiet flights is what really hooked me.

Steve

Ditto here, but for a retired guy, every day is safe and non-stressful! Only problem is, my giant scale models, running near 3000 watts are not really quiet. :oops: And the 6.5 Hp Harbor Freight gasoline engine rigged up with an 80 Amp automotive alternator to charge the 12S2P A123 battery packs isn't really quiet either.

But, compared to my club members kerosene jet models, big giant scale 150 cc gassers, and similar models, my electrics are very quiet and fun to fly.

There is starting to be a bit of a pattern at our field, with glow or gasser models suddenly loosing radio communication, and going in. Methinks that the high vibration levels with those gassers may have something to do with it.

Today, one of my club members had a glow engine twin loose all radio contact, and go in way off field. Problem with that crash is the undergrowth is 6 feet tall, and that model will never be found. Another club member had a flame out with his $$$$ kerosene turbine model, resulting in an off field landing in the farmers bean field. There wasn't much left of that many thousand dollar model. :censor:

Electrics don't have vibration issues, and as long as you don't fly anywhere near low voltage cut off on your battery pack, electric power is extremely reliable, assuming the use of quality motor/esc/battery packs.

Stevephoon 08-25-2014 01:26 PM

I had another terrific last flight of the night last Saturday. It was with my Chrysalis 2M E-Powered glider. No winds (no thermals either…) but just perfectly quiet with the plane slowly drifting around. This time I had two other club members with me, they just came and sat down and watched and we chatted while I was floating around… Just great….

One thing I have noticed since I have started regularly flying my e-glider at the club field… I am getting others excited about trying to glide. Some are just using their existing planes and going up and seeing how long they can glide, others are planning on converting old gliders to electric…

I just need to get out and fly more, and now that my daughter is back to college I just get a little more free time.

Steve

Edit: Denny, I am Electric Only and it seems that I have way less issues than the nitro/gas guys do. More like 90% less... My guess is that it's both my conservative nature, less vibration related issues, reliability of electric motors and ESCs vs nitro/gas motors... I just go to the field and fly, no constant tinkering...

Tepid Pilot 08-25-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevephoon (Post 955856)
...I am Electric Only and it seems that I have way less issues than the nitro/gas guys do... ...I just go to the field and fly, no constant tinkering...

Which is exactly how I do when I'm flying my IC stuff because the tinkering is done before the engine ever even gets on a plane.

The guys who are constantly fiddling are the ones who haven't yet taken the time to "understand" their engines and then have to try to do it at the field. It's fun to torment those guys with a first flip start followed by a deadstick-free flight.

TP

kyleservicetech 08-25-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevephoon (Post 955856)
Edit: Denny, I am Electric Only and it seems that I have way less issues than the nitro/gas guys do. More like 90% less... My guess is that it's both my conservative nature, less vibration related issues, reliability of electric motors and ESCs vs nitro/gas motors... I just go to the field and fly, no constant tinkering...

Way off topic

In in another posting in wattflyer, I put together a "G" meter that measures vibration levels. That thing measures acceleration some 20,000 times a second, and stores the maximum value. That meter was used to measure vibration levels on a club members giant scale model with a big 150 cc twin up front. Vibration levels measured directly on the aileron servo pegged my meter at over 25 G's.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66525