WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   a 2.4 transmitter challenge (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74375)

FlyWheel 08-27-2014 03:23 AM

a 2.4 transmitter challenge

Before I completely give up and sell everything out of frustration, I am wondering; is there a 2.4 GHZ transmitter which has the basic simplicity of 72MHZ? ALL I really need is...
  • A good range and signal strength/dependability.
  • 5, maybe 6 channels, no more.
  • Enough memory for 5 different models.
  • Digital trim tabs.
  • V-tail and Elevon mixing.
  • Servo reversing on all channels.
  • End point adjustments.
  • Dual and exponential rates.
  • Flapperon/spoileron capability.

...and as little more beyond that as possible. IOW, what you used to get with a basic 72MHz computer radio. Which I currently, but will soon no longer be able to enjoy. Why? Because 72MHz is not merely becoming a special interest item, it seems it is being deliberately assassinated (just try and find a Berg MicroStamp receiver these days). Now before y'all tell me "Well, why not just upgrade to 2.4GHz", all the 2.4 stuff I see advertised and talked about is so grotesquely overfeatured and overly complex it just frustrates me.

So here's the challenge, find me a 2.4 GHz transmitter with as few features as possible beyond what I have listed above, which has programming that is basic and easy to learn, remember and use. I absolutely do NOT want a hand held super computer that will do all my flying for me! I don't want it to tell me my plane's most intimate thoughts while it's in the air. Or play music, talk to me, make phone calls or remotely satisfy all my S.O.s :censor: urges while I am busy in my workshop.

I just want a basic, simple to use transmitter. Assuming such a thing even exists anymore.

Does it?

pizzano 08-27-2014 03:41 AM

Probably the least expensive that will do 8 out of the 9 characteristics you want will be the Spektrum DX6i.....or one of the Turnigy knock-offs (that are a little more tricky to program).....the ESC's will be a little more expensive for the Spektrum.....but that model has proven well worth the investment for simplicity.

FlyWheel 08-27-2014 03:58 AM

I should have also added I am not the slightest bit interested in 3D, helicopters, multi rotors or FPV.

Heli Jim 08-27-2014 04:20 AM

I agree---the DX6i will do most of what you want.

xmech2k 08-27-2014 04:28 AM

+1 on the Dx6i.

FlyWheel 08-27-2014 04:30 AM

On your rec's I have been looking at it (the DX6i), and have a question, is "delta mix" the same as elevon (I would think so, but want to be sure)? Also, the specs on the Spektrum site states dual rate only for the rudder, yet a review page I'm looking at now says D/R for rudder elevator and aileron?

pizzano 08-27-2014 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 955977)
On your rec's I have been looking at it (the DX6i), and have a question, is "delta mix" the same as elevon (I would think so, but want to be sure)? Also, the specs on the Spektrum site states dual rate only for the rudder, yet a review page I'm looking at now says D/R for rudder elevator and aileron?

Yes, the DX6i manual refers to the Delta mix as Elevon........you can assign D/R & Expo with aileron, elevator and rudder (to 1 of 3 common switches) so all three can be accessed by one switch.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...anual_DX6i.pdf

FlyWheel 08-27-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 955971)
Probably the least expensive that will do 8 out of the 9 characteristics you want will be the Spektrum DX6i.....or one of the Turnigy knock-offs (that are a little more tricky to program).....the ESC's will be a little more expensive for the Spektrum.....but that model has proven well worth the investment for simplicity.

So far it looks pretty intriguing as one option. However, please elaborate, what is this TX missing from my list?

pizzano 08-27-2014 06:54 AM

I have not personally had a need to set-up Flaperon's (with or without the need for additional cables)....but a buddy of mine has and he followed this thread, since the manual is not very clear on this aspect and I'm generally his go to guy for TX set-ups (but wasn't much help with this one)........:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...anual_DX6i.pdf

The RX's mentioned in the thread are the same as those my buddy was using......the thread is a little convoluted, but there is enough there to get it sorted out.

crxmanpat 08-27-2014 06:59 AM

What FM radio do you currently use? Does it have a module with the FM internals, or is it a fully integrated radio?

xmech2k 08-27-2014 06:59 AM

Well it has a 10 model memory, so that busts your 5 model limit!

Also, you specify end point adjustment, but also dual rates&expo. If you're looking for absolute travel limits, that's what it doesn't have. So with an elevon or other mix, you have to turn down the max travel of each channel or they may combine to overdrive the servo.

Double check the manual for v tail mix. I think it has it, but I never used it so I'm not 100% sure. Otherwise, I think it checks all your boxes.

Oh yeah, the manual is mixed up in regards to which channel goes to which elevon. Many people get confused, but there are only so many combinations so a smart guy won't take long to sort it out.

Also, the throttle kill button is meant for Nitro planes. It only momentarily drops throttle to kill the engine, then back to normal when you release. Some people have replaced the button with a 2 position switch.

kyleservicetech 08-27-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 955969)
Before I completely give up and sell everything out of frustration, I am wondering; is there a 2.4 GHZ transmitter which has the basic simplicity of 72MHZ? ALL I really need is...
  • A good range and signal strength/dependability.
  • 5, maybe 6 channels, no more.
  • Enough memory for 5 different models.
  • Digital trim tabs.
  • V-tail and Elevon mixing.
  • Servo reversing on all channels.
  • End point adjustments.
  • Dual and exponential rates.
  • Flapperon/spoileron capability.

...and as little more beyond that as possible. IOW, what you used to get with a basic 72MHz computer radio. Which I currently, but will soon no longer be able to enjoy. Why? Because 72MHz is not merely becoming a special interest item, it seems it is being deliberately assassinated (just try and find a Berg MicroStamp receiver these days). Now before y'all tell me "Well, why not just upgrade to 2.4GHz", all the 2.4 stuff I see advertised and talked about is so grotesquely overfeatured and overly complex it just frustrates me.

So here's the challenge, find me a 2.4 GHz transmitter with as few features as possible beyond what I have listed above, which has programming that is basic and easy to learn, remember and use. I absolutely do NOT want a hand held super computer that will do all my flying for me! I don't want it to tell me my plane's most intimate thoughts while it's in the air. Or play music, talk to me, make phone calls or remotely satisfy all my S.O.s :censor: urges while I am busy in my workshop.

I just want a basic, simple to use transmitter. Assuming such a thing even exists anymore.

Does it?

Add me to the list of guys suggesting the Spektrum DX6i transmitter. A number of people I know are using it, and all are quite satisfied with it's performance. This comes with a receiver. If you look around, you might be able to find the DX6i only without receiver.

Nice thing about the Spektrum radio line is their "Model Match" feature. This binds your transmitter and your selected model to a specific model on the ground. If the transmitter model and the model on the ground don't match, the model on the ground is dead dead dead. Makes it impossible to take off with the wrong model setting in your transmitter. (Think reversed ailerons!)
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdId=SPM6630

As for Spektrum receivers, you can buy a Spektrum brand full range 4 channel receiver for $29.99. My club members are using this receiver in those high powered missile type foamie jets that can hit 100 MPH. Zero problems. We've even got a few guys using this 4 channel receiver on 60 sized glow powered models. Again, zero problems.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPMAR400
And, if that interests you, there are Spektrum clone receivers for even lower prices. As for me, that $30 is cheap enough to allow just buying name brand equipment.

pizzano 08-27-2014 07:14 AM

"Also, you specify end point adjustment, but also dual rates&expo. If you're looking for absolute travel limits, that's what it doesn't have."

I believe "end points" can be established with the Travel ADJ & MIX menu....it takes a little "trial and error", but it can be set fairly well....I've done it with CCP's.....not with planks, yet.

"Also, the throttle kill button is meant for Nitro planes."

May be so with the ACRO mode....but with heli's and quads, it is truley a "throttle" kill switch....may depend on the OS, RX and ESC combo being used.

Edit:

Come to think of it.....my Blade 200QX quad is programmed through the ACRO mode, and the "kill" switch is set through throttle cut.

kyleservicetech 08-27-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 955971)
.the ESC's will be a little more expensive for the Spektrum....

??? Receiver???

pizzano 08-27-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 955993)
??? Receiver???

Yep.....RX's......:D

JetPlaneFlyer 08-27-2014 09:15 AM

I suppose that the only thing going against the DX6i is that it's an old model and in the process of being replaced by the new DX6. This has it's positives because you can get great deals on the DX6i at the moment. Having said that, the DX6 does have a lot of useful added features over the DX6i, possibly more Tx than your listed specs require but you can never have too good a Tx;)

Another option worth considering is the FRSky Taranis. This is an amazing Tx with all the features you could dream of, and at a bargain price. Only real downside is the programming user interface is not the most user friendly or intuitive. The Taranis is ideal for the enthusiast who enjoys learning the ins and outs and finer points of Tx programming. Not so good for those looking for a simple to use Tx that does the basic functions with no fuss.

solentlife 08-27-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 955989)
What FM radio do you currently use? Does it have a module with the FM internals, or is it a fully integrated radio?

Thats' my first question also ....

WHAT RADIO are you using now ?

Can you plug in a module to convert your 72 radio to 2.4 ? Then you already know and comfortable with your radio ... nothing to learn.

If you can plug in FrSky module - you have one of the best set-ups and Rx ranges possible.

No need for another radio.

Nigel

carpetbagger 08-27-2014 01:29 PM

I have a Tactic 650 - yes, needs to be programed but even a noob like me found that task fairly easy, and I ignore features I have no interest in at this time. Rx units are affordable, about $15 for basic and $20 for twin antenna.

DEG 08-27-2014 01:33 PM

CHELLIE 08-27-2014 01:35 PM

Yup :) DX6i and only use full range receivers, also use a UBEC if your ESC has a Linear BEC

http://www.amain.com/Spektrum-AR400-...FVFefgodcpwACQ

BERG Receivers

http://www.thefind.com/instruments/b...annel-receiver

Rodneh 08-27-2014 02:36 PM

+1 on the Tactic; I have both the Tactic and the DX6i and IMHO the Tactic does every thing the 6i does and is easier to program at a lower price.

NJSwede 08-27-2014 02:39 PM

DX61 or Taranis!

yorkiepap 08-27-2014 04:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey FlyWheel,
The radio that will fill your needs with your listed parameters is the JR10X with easy-to-use touchscreen programming, 10 model mem., all the tail mixes you would need, & give you a rugged magnesium case with superb gimbals & easy to change modules for 72Mhz or 2.4Ghz. I use one for 72 & one for 2.4 since I have models set up with both freq. Right now, you can find nice clean 10X's w/module & Rx's under $150. This was JR's flagship radio when introduced.

Denny

FlyWheel 08-27-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 955990)
Well it has a 10 model memory, so that busts your 5 model limit!<snip!>.

The list I gave was the minimum I would need. having twice the model storage certainly wouldn't be a deal killer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 955996)
I suppose that the only thing going against the DX6i is that it's an old model and in the process of being replaced by the new DX6. This has it's positives because you can get great deals on the DX6i at the moment. Having said that, the DX6 does have a lot of useful added features over the DX6i, possibly more Tx than your listed specs require but you can never have too good a Tx;)

Ohh, that's bad, most of the reviews I read on the DX6i portrayed the DX6 as an inferior version (and oddly enough implied the DX6 was the older of the two, that the DX61 was it's replacement)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 955996)
Another option worth considering is the FRSky Taranis. This is an amazing Tx with all the features you could dream of, and at a bargain price. Only real downside is the programming user interface is not the most user friendly or intuitive. The Taranis is ideal for the enthusiast who enjoys learning the ins and outs and finer points of Tx programming. Not so good for those looking for a simple to use Tx that does the basic functions with no fuss.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 955998)
Thats' my first question also ....

WHAT RADIO are you using now ?

Can you plug in a module to convert your 72 radio to 2.4 ? Then you already know and comfortable with your radio ... nothing to learn.

If you can plug in FrSky module - you have one of the best set-ups and Rx ranges possible.

No need for another radio.

Nigel

I'm currently using a HiTec Flash5X. It is not modular, I believe it was designed before 2.4 was even available. Nor can it be converted to my knowledge. Otherwise I would have done so.

pizzano 08-27-2014 08:26 PM

"Ohh, that's bad, most of the reviews I read on the DX6i portrayed the DX6 as an inferior version (and oddly enough implied the DX6 was the older of the two, that the DX61 was it's replacement)"

Not to worry FlyWheel....your assumption is correct. The original DX6 2.4ghz DSM2 was introduced (around 2004/2005) specifically for RC plane use. There was the DX5 version which had been around for sometime and was offered as the cheap alternative to many RTF packages using Spektrum RX's. It is now the DX5e DSM2 version.

Then came the DX7, which was suppose to replace the original DX6........it has now been discontinued and replaced with the DX7s......since then the DX6i, DX6, DX8, DX9, DX10t, DX18t and DX18.

Many of the original compatible Spektrum RX's have also been up-graded or replaced to both the DSM2 and DSMX format.

Considering two things, the DX5(e) is still available/serviced and been around over 10 years, and currently the DX6i is Spektrum's number one selling TX, I seriously doubt (based on current history) Spektrum will any time soon discontinue either of those two money makers....maybe upgrade again.....but given what has been posted on many forums related to the new DX6.......it's bells and whistles are not exciting many who have previously purchased the DX6i, DX8 or DX9.......
More may be better for some, but many are like you and I, KISS is still applicable......I can only fly one plane at a time, I only own 8 planes or other craft and there isn't anything I can forsee in my future RC endeavors that the DX6i can't handle....except maybe a more sophisticated Multi-Rotor craft.....;)

Edit: or a few more nice planks........:D