WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Phantom RC40 Quad Copter (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74396)

liberty4us 08-30-2014 01:47 AM

Phantom RC40 Quad Copter

Just joined today and had a few questions. I'm a retired Pilot and am
not new to the game of RC's. I have built a few years ago and in April 2014 I purchased this Phantom RC40 quadcopter. I have about 200 hours flying it at 10 minutes a charge on the batteries (3). I have an idea (that might work) of building a RC all electric quad copter with motors big enough for 2 people
to ride in it! My question is whats the largest brushless motors being built?
It would take 4 at 75 to 100 HP with built in altinators to power this Brain
Storm. It would be about 40' in diamiter and be controled from the ground Or in the cockpit. Any ideas out there on brushless motors. :rolleyes:

pizzano 08-30-2014 03:08 AM

Are you referring to the Phantom FC 40.........?....very nice quad.

Your (quad) idea is not a new one....and to date, no one has succesfully accomplished that commercially that I'm aware of......for two main reasons:

It will require power storage (batteries or capacitor driven), regardless of alternator supplied, which means additional weight and carrying capacity.

Brushless motors of the size required to maintain lift and flight altitude would be very large and also add to the weight......which also means Power Efficiency will be compromised.

Getting an FAA permit (certificate under USUA FAR103) to even fly such a thing as a "hobby" craft or "experimental" (like ultralights) would be impossible due to the lack of current "approved" engineering design and materials protocol, recognized and approved testing parameters...............see:

http://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm

I'm afraid having a private pilots license wiil not be enough in this case..;)

xmech2k 08-30-2014 04:41 AM

Is been done.

Volo copter

pizzano 08-30-2014 05:33 AM

Yes it has under indoor conditions......and quite amazing, 18 motors/props.........but has yet been flight tested with manned pilot and passenger, only remote controlled. At an anticipated consumer cost of over $338,000.00 (the experimental grant was over $5 million), with anticipated flight times of 30min...it will be sometime before it's ever commercially available.......but still, that's some kinda ride!

Really don't think it's the "average" guys answer to multi-rotor flight though.

liberty4us 08-30-2014 05:36 PM

Thanks Pizzano,
I guess my real question is: Do you have someone I could talk with that designes
and builds the "Brushless motors? I was a Gold Seal Flight Instructor, Owner operator
of the largest Cessna Pilot Center based in SLC, Utah From 1968 until 2000. I was also a FAA Pilot Examiner for 22 years. The motors are my biggest question IF its at all feasable to build.

pizzano 08-30-2014 06:27 PM

liberty4us.....

I do not personally, but I have an electrical engineering colleague who I just spoke with........here's a list of manfactures/developers in the U.S. that he suggests could be what you're looking for.

Hansen Motors - Princeton, IN

Telco Intercontinental Corp. - Houston, TX

CMI Integrated Technologies - Culver City, CA

ElectroCraft, Inc. - Dover, NH

Arc Systems, Inc. - Hauppauge, NY

Island Components Group, Inc. - Bohemia, NY

Aerotech, Inc. - Pittsburgh, PA

Groschopp, Inc. - Sioux Center, IA

Baldor Electric Company - Fort Smith, AR

I'm not sure if they all sell directly retail/wholesale, but all of them do provide services related to custom design and manufacturing.

Hope this helps.

liberty4us 08-30-2014 06:48 PM

Thank you my friend. I'll be posting more as things progress. {:-))