View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
boeing_737

Friends: (0)

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I am basically a newbie at this, so please bear with my (probably) stupid questions/comments.

- Well, I was thinking of the worst case situation with the weight of the quadcopter. Basically, all I am going to have is 4 motors-prop-ESC, 1 battery and some electronics held together by a balsa wood frame with maybe carbon fibre rods to provide more stiffness. I am not really sure that the weight would end up being 2Kg, but now that I think of it, it would be around 1.2-1.4 Kg.

- I have a few questions about the terminology used here. The 'kV' rating refers to the rpm/Volt. Does this indicate the rpm of the motor per volt of applied voltage under zero load (no prop) condition? If that's correct, then in the case of SuperTigre motors I have, 950 kV means 950 rpm/V * 11.1 (in case of a 3-series battery pack) ~ 10500 rpm under no load. So, If I attach a prop now, the rpm of the motor would drop down depending on the size of the prop. Also, when the manufacturer says Max constant power : 145W, does that mean, for some combination of motor-prop, the product of the current and the voltage applied would be maximum, and that combo will result in the max thrust generated by the motor. So basically, you would maintain full throttle and try out different props and log the currents drawn and find that some props result in the motor developing close to max power, which they then specify as the recommended props. Is my line of thinking ok, or is it totally nonsense?

- Finally, given that I have the motors now, I am thinking it would be a good idea to try out one of the recommended props and see how it goes..

Thanks a lot for your patience and help!

Page generated in 0.10403 seconds with 17 queries