A couple of udates:
HZ sent a new fuse with the electronics and motor in it. I"ve pulled that board and moved it to the old fuse - seemed easier than moving over the tail feathers and landing gear - and the new fuse has no decals for windows and no velcro for the batt or prop...and my old fuse is good anyway. Took 2 minutes. Have to get some glue...they use a flexible silicone or caulking of some kind....raining for next 4 days so I have time to ponder it.
My next plane is likely to be a scratchbuild blubaby. Googling and reading threads turn up three choice - that, an STC or possibly Mikey's RC trainer. There really is very little difference - the blubaby is monobloc/full fuse as opposed to profile and I like that look better. Wing wise there's not much difference in the first two and mikey uses a flat (no airfoil) wing ... that makes me a bit nervous.
Cost will be under $60 a plane, electronics and all - building 2 actually, one for me and one for my son. I have receivers and foam only comes in a huge pack anyway, so the cost is mostly motor/esc/servos,
I've built balsa planes so I know what needs to be straight and such and worked off plans and I've used foam in model RR scenery so this shouldn't be too far out of my skill set...we'll find out soon enough I suppose.
Plan is to start wtih a 3 channel undercamber dihedral wing - a bigger champ if you will, and then make a second wing, a Kfm profile with ailerons and some dihedral and see if I can progress. If that works then I'll turn the sucker into a bipe and see how that goes...
wish me luck!