View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Bill,

I have not tried the flat films but thanks for the warning. I have been using Doculam almost exclusively and painting but I always had paint adhesion issues. I am still experimenting, my latest attempts with Doculam is using flexible acrylic paint designed for use on clothing.

This P-51B is actually an ARF (not at all almost ready to fly though) from E-Flite but I posted this question here because it is a finishing question that relates to kit or scratch building. I am impressed with E-Flites ARF's though and this kit is gorgeous. It looked pretty bad with the glossy Ultracote but my hat is off to E-Flite because they actually included in their build instructions the procedure for using the dullcote and using the chalk pastels for weathering.

My main concern on finishing this one was touching up the Ultracote once the finish was on and how to add panel lines.

Dave
They do look terrible with the gloss finish. I guess it's a good thing though, as it gives you the opportunity to distance yourself from owning an ARF.
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Now I feel like I need to go to a twelve step group (hello my name is Dave and I bought an ARF)
At the field, I think most people won't even recognize your plane as an ARF anymore. The weathering looks excellent.
I felt like that when I bought my last ARF also, the Eflite Sea Fury. I thought about selling it, but it's such a good plane that I'll keep it. It's even more desirable since they re-released it. They're made from Z-soccerball texture foam, and weigh 5 tons.

Page generated in 0.09670 seconds with 17 queries