View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Bill,

I don't worry about the ARF thing as much although given that the choices are there, I would choose to build. In this case I couldn't find a scratch or kit option that would yield a plane I wanted. I looked at House of Balsa and their P-51 looks bad to me. This one looks very realistic and although I wish it were lighter, I think the reviews indicate it is a good flyer.

I am definitely "Old School" in that for most of my flying time (30 plus years) the only way to fly something or fix something was to build it.

I may take the lines off this one a develop plans for a 50-55" mustang that is built lighter with much lighter wing loading. I have the CAD tools at my disposal but I have done some airplane design in the past and it is a lot of work. That's why I look at people like Pat Tritle (Pats Custom Models) and I often wonder how many hours he spends on the computer.

Dave
Building a lighter one from your own design would be a good idea. They have to make these practical for production, so they can't realistically build them as light as possible. Things like 1/32" sheeting could give you a much lighter one, if you built it yourself.. I agree that there aren't many good looking B or C kits out there, in this size. The HOB kits never really did it for me either, as there would be so much work in modifying the shape for scale, that you may as well just start from a 3-view.

I built one of the miles off scale HOB P51's when I first got into building. Given my scale considerations now, I'll have to build another someday. I still have it, but it's not even a P51, as far as I'm concerned.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang_Ziroli_edit.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	155788  

Page generated in 0.14686 seconds with 19 queries