baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)
Default Keil Kraft Skystreak 26 foam build

Way back in 1960 when I was 11 years old I built my first model plane. After much searching I chose to buy a Keil Kraft SkyStreak 26 control line stunter kit which gave me many first time building issues.
To cut a long story short, I started the ED Bee 1cc diesel and with an expert flying it, it performed less than one lap of the circle before it disintegrated before my eyes.
Turned out that I should have used something called shrinking dope to reinforce the balsa and tissue covering and not just the coloured variety which I had applied to match the amazing picture on the box.
My next model was the KK Champ with a solid balsa wing which taught me to fly and survived many happy hours of control line flying.
Forward to a few weeks ago and while searching through Outerzone plans site there was a copy of the original plan for the SkyStreak.
I was immediately transported back half a century and a plan sprung to life. (I just had to have a go at building some of these early control line stunters as RC foamies and see if I can get them to fly.)
Stick the plan into Adobe Reader X, print and tile it to 36" span and use the outline and former shapes, to build it in foam for electric RC.
Looking at the plan view the fuz is flat sided with a flat bottom and a curved planked turtle deck top. I figured that this would be perfect for a sheet foam sidewall, bottom and top build.
A search through the squirreled foam in the basement found some flat television packaging foam with right angled protrusions moulded onto it,
( pic1) perfect for the fuselage.
The outline was cut form the plan and used to cut left and right sides which were then placed over the fuz plan view and the protrusions trimmed until it matched the plan view profile. It was then gorilla glued together.
( pic 2)
Next the wing cores need to be cut from 2 inch thick foam board.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20-11-12 002s.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	164317

Name:	20-11-12 004s.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	164318