View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery88
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

I've changed my mind and decided to build a tugboat. (see first pic below)

The steerable nosegear mount has been added, using a modified nylon wing hold-down mount for the steering mount/pivot assembly. Using methods from past builds, the gear is removable. A length of rubber tubing captured inside aluminum tubing provides a friction fit for the main strut wire. Control horns are pressed onto both ends of the aluminum tubing shaft that turns inside the nylon mount. A key pin, made using a small machine screw mounted into the lower horn, indexes with the nosegear for positive steering. Searching through my servo horn collection, I found horns that could be pressed onto the tubing with a vise. I could not manage to cause them to slip with my hand strength after installing, so they should be robust enough to hold up under use.

The lower wheel fork was bent from a single piece of wire, where the 90 degree bent ends insert into the aluminum tube wheel axle. The fork is flexed open to install the wheel. The bent wire ends are cut such that they insert into the axle tubing only a few mm on each end, which is done so that the fork is not permanently distorted, when it is flexed open to install the wheel. Before installing the wheel, the fork is covered with plastic tubing, which is heated to create the bends at the top of the fork. These sleeves are then slit lengthwise and inserted over the fork wire. The slit seam is finally glued with thin CA. To attach the lower fork to the nosegear main strut wire, the strut wire is nicked numerous times and slightly bent at the end, to ensure it does not break free or slip inside the glue joint which will attach the two parts. A CF horsehair wrap with CA applied is used to permanently attach the two parts, after tack gluing together with thick CA. Finally the aluminum tube main strut sleeve is slid over the nosegear assembly and glued, after pressing the servo horn onto the top end, which will index with the steering locking pin. A slot is filed into the tubing end, to ensure that the servo horn does not slip.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles_Aerovan_8.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	164346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles_Aerovan_9.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	164347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles_Aerovan_10.jpg
Views:	156