View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
baz49exe
Super Contributor
 
baz49exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Devon. England
Posts: 1,101
View baz49exe's Gallery15
Thanked 135 Times in 130 Posts
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (15)
Default

I'm stuck waiting for the sheet balsa to arrive in the post for the elevator and ailerons so I used some time to cut the slot for the tail plane and glued it into place and when that was dry I cut a similar slot for the tail fin and fixed it into place as well.
I used 3mm pizza tray for both and laminated two sheets together with gorilla glue for the tailplane. The last of my balsa was added as an elevator mount and mini spar to the tailplane. The much firmer 3mm thick black pizza tray depron seemed substantial enough for the fin which was enlarged to almost twice the size of the original. I guess it didn't need much fin when it was controlled by the lines but it looked way too small for an RC model.
The elevator servo fits into a pocket in front of the fin and the wires are channelled through the fuselage to the radio bay.
When I turned to making the canopy I was relieved to find that the front section of the observers canopy on the Wellesley was an almost perfect match for the profile for the Skystreak cockpit and I had some test ones I'd shrunk before so it was dead easy to trim one of those to fit. The more moulds you make it seems that they eventually start to double up for other models with very small adjustments.
AUW at the moment is 7.75ozs
It is starting to look like my original of 50 years ago now. I can't wait for that balsa to arrive then I can test fly it.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28-11-12 005s.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	164609
Click image for larger version

Name:	28-11-12 006s.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	164610
baz49exe is offline  
  Reply With Quote
 
Page generated in 0.15961 seconds with 20 queries