View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
Bill G
Super Contrubutor
 
Bill G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Central PA
Posts: 4,264
View Bill G's Gallery86
Thanked 176 Times in 170 Posts
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
iTrader: (3)
Friends: (17)
Default

DHC I was having the same thoughts about the relative short coupling/tail moment. Probably a good plane to not start with an aft CG. Too far forward would not be good either. I did enlarge the stab a slight amount for added stability, although it is reasonably sized at scale. It's interesting that you can never really tell until you fly them however. I recently flew a Guillows P51 with a short tail moment, and thought I would have a bit on my hands. Turned out to be one of the best dang flying airplanes I've ever flown.

The foam mold does have it's limits Pat, in how much force it can take, although I was pretty hard on it. If I do any more molding with it, the plastic will have to be heated enough to pull reasonably easily, while not heating for long enough to overheat the mold. Probably barely enough time to do the job. As you were saying Barry, there is definitely some technique for working the material across the mold, with parts like this one. The bottle idea seems to have possibilities, as I could probably keep the material taut, much easier than I could with my two hands, as I really needed 2 more. If the plastic was pulled so that the canopy top was well stretched, then the sides would tend to bunch up. With Barry's method, I could keep the heat applied while pulling at the same time. I likely will just keep this canopy however, as I made a frame for it, that will allow it to be removable. The removable frame allows me to trim the perimeter a bit further, and the outer edge will be painted to cover the frame. Trimming off that extra material will pretty much remove the areas around the edge that have a bit of ripple/warping.

Main gear
Fabricated the main gear legs using aluminum tubing mounted across the inside of the fuse, for the gear legs to plug into. I had thought about making spring shocks, but decided it was more effort than I cared to go to, for a 36" span model. The idea could be easily done however, if the wire struts were installed in the swing arm location (see photo below) versus the shock location that they are currently installed in. Stop collars could be mounted on the swing arms inside the fuse to retain them, while they could individually rotate inside the aluminum tubing. The aluminum tubing joiner also serves the purpose of supporting the gear wire, versus stressing the fuse sides due to side loading.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles_Aerovan_16.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	164635  
Bill G is offline  
  Reply With Quote
 
Page generated in 0.14213 seconds with 19 queries