View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by paulatgis View Post
they way you built the fuse give me good ideas i can use on floating hull planes. ive been wanting to make a few but just never figured out how to make fat curved fuselages. i think i can use your setup and try a few now. thanks!
The keel and former method works well for flying boat hull construction. It's pretty much the same method that most Guillows designs use, where all you need is a decent 3-view. I've built a number of flying boat hulls using this method, as well as a Dornier Gs build thread posted here recently. It's actually easier than built-up construction for several reasons. The keel and former method lends well to tab and slot design, making it easy to build a frame that self aligns fairly well, where the parts are made directly from the drawing which creates an accurate profile. With built-up construction, the curved areas have to be fully sculpted, with tri-stock corner fillets inside. To get an exact shape, you would have to use templates to check the curves while sculpting, as well as having to flex sheet balsa to create overall fuse curves. With keel and former construction, the curves are already cut into the keel and former profiles. Inset planking glued between the stringers on curved areas can easily be sculpted to match the profile of the formers, which is the exact profile that you want. This has been done along the lower fuse corners. Inset planking the curved areas provides a bit of added latitude for final shaping after sheeting as well as reinforcement, and allows the fuse to be sheeted with thin sheeting for light weight. This plane will be sheeted with 1/32" sheeting, to keep the weight low.

Outrunners are now installed in the nacelles, bought from Heads Up RC.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail The Power Up Sport 250 outrunner claims 10oz thrust on 2s lipo with a GWS 6030 prop, which is the largest prop size that will fit on the plane, without relocating the nacelles off-scale. Next to build the wing, where the wing parts are notched for tab and slot assembly. The ailerons will be constructed as part of the wing assembly, and finally cut away.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles_Aerovan_17.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	164682  

Page generated in 0.13509 seconds with 19 queries