View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default Fuselage repair advice

I'm working on a repair and recovering of my Explorer 2M sailplane. This was an ARF of 12+ years ago that I bought but never flew until this past spring. This is the plane that I learned on (and it shows). Installed a brushless motor and have had many nice flights. This has been on the shelf for the last few months waiting on weather appropriate for repair.

I'm in process of stripping all the old covering and repairing damage when it fell from the top of a tree. (I have no idea how it got up there) I've some experience on repairing damage (gained quite a bit of experience in that this year) and I have my own ideas on this but would like to hear from some folks with far more experience than I. The tail feathers were pretty heavily damaged and I've pretty much finished that part. The entire tail section broke free from the fuse with the control rods still holding on. I'm ready to join the wayward tail but I need some direction as how to join it and keep it strong. As you can see from the pics it's a jagged break and actually it will pretty much join up with almost all the gaps filled. But I feel like it will be prone to break again unless I manage some sort of internal reinforcement. Do I cut more balsa away so I can splice in some very thin plywood?

Also you can see the stock control rods--wood dowels with clevis attached. I intend to reuse them unless there is a better alternative. I know low weight is the goal in a sailplane but that's not my primary.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001[1].jpg
Views:	138
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	164686

Name:	IMG_0002[1].jpg
Views:	137
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	164687