View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #25
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Thanks Paul
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
That is one cute airplane! Good work Bill! As usual, you talented (and patient) guys make me green with envy...
I have no patience! Seriously, once you build a few of these using 3-views, it really takes little time. In actual hours, I don't have much time in the build, at this point. Covering is actually the worst part of the ordeal, by far.

To start, you have to pencil in clean lines and curves, since the enlarged drawing is grainy. It actually takes little time. The keels are all derived from perimeters, using the drawing views. For a fuse like this with flat sides, you simply take two dimensions for each former, after laying out the formers, keels, and spacing the stringers. The rounds are drawn using a circle template, and keel/stringer notch locations are taken from the drawing. There's probably no more than a few hours drawing and a few hours part cutting for the entire build. With a simple wing layout, the nacelles probably took as much time as the wing to draw and construct. I rarely cut part templates, simply using a semi-dull knife to score a mark on balsa placed beneath the drawing, which doesn't even cut through the drawing. It's proven to be as accurate as using cut out templates, as you score right on the line, and get a reasonably clean mark on the balsa sheet below. Going through the motions of cutting paper templates and using them as a cutting template easily introduces as much error as the "tracing" method I use. It's a good speed trick, that allows you to have a part set in short order.

Since the plane will have functional flaps, I figured why not add lights. I'll probably skip the tail light mounted on the center rudder, adding the wing lights and nose mounted landing light. The plane should be ready to sheet soon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles_Aerovan_21.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	164747
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles_Aerovan_22.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	164748

Page generated in 0.17407 seconds with 20 queries