View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I had a nicer iron and a gun, but burned them both up. A 30w iron isn't too bad if you have patience, but a good iron really is night and day.
Yeah
That is a big difference between a plain old soldering iron and one that is temperature regulated.

Those regulated units don't overheat, and burn up the tip.

And, I do have an assortment of soldering irons. Take a look at the attached files. IMHO, those soldering iron guns are not worth buying. In fact where I worked before retiring they were not allowed for use in the production lines.

The second photo shows the two irons used for 99.9% of my soldering work. A Weller 40 watt temperature regulated soldering iron, and a Weller 100 watt temperature regulated soldering iron. Both of these units heat up in about one minute, ready to go. That Weller 40 watt temperature regulated soldering iron was used on the production lines at work by the dozens. Most of them were powered up 8 hours a day, and would last for a year or more before the handset had to be replaced. Mine is six years old, and its gone through about 4 soldering iron tips during that time. (Those tips are iron plated)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unregulated Irons - WF.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	164978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulated Irons - WF.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	164979  

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

Page generated in 0.17198 seconds with 20 queries