I have no expectation of winning or anything, but what the heck
. If not for the contest, this would be the third effort in my park flyer quest; well, it still is, but now it's in a contest as well!
The first two were pushers in a couple different configurations, neither of which I'm particularly happy with... so back to basics. It's going to be a rather small thing (24" wing span) with a conventional, motor-in-front arrangement. The wing is going to be short, but wide (7.25" chord) with a symmetrical airfoil, no dihedral. I'm after a reasonably aerobatic plane that I can fly in nearby parks.
The electric stuff is all going to be salvaged from earlier planes. I've got several Hobby King "donkey" 1550 kv motors and matching esc's, so it's getting one of those. I've done other planes with these motors that had 42" spans and flew acceptably well (but kinda slow), so I'm hoping this one will have plenty of power.
So anyway, today I sketched out the basic design and started on the wing. Blue foam blank with metal guides hot-glued on temporarily:
The setup for doing the hot-wire cutting:
The hot wire cuts right through any excess hot glue that squeezes out from under the guides, and the guides pop right off with a sharp yank:
After trimming edges with a straight edge and a razor blade, and sanding the worst of the rough out with a big sanding block, I cut grooves for wood spars in the foam, and cut the spruce spars too on the table saw:
And finally I glued in the spars:
That's enough for today
By the way, you may have noticed the blatant "product placement" of Titebond in the picture. In other efforts I used Gorilla Glue - it doesn't work well for this particular application due to it's expanding property. The wood spar gets pushed out of the groove as the glue sets up, and you end up having to plane off a significant portion of it, reducing the finished strength. With Titebond (or any other similar glue) the spars remain fully seated in the slots.