First thing to do was to build a CNC wire cutter so I could cut the wing.
The motors and stepper drivers I salvaged from another project.
To drive the steppers I fought endlessly with the parallel port on my computer, eventually giving up on the motherboard port and adding an expansion card, only to eventually give up on that too and switch over to a USB interface based on an Arduino. Then I fought that for a couple days as well... it seems the software I found was meant for a different version Arduino than I used. Absolute PITA, but I now have a CNC hot wire.
Fought my way through using JediCut to control it.
wow. between the language barrier and the unintuitive way of doing things, that was an adventure.