Thread: New radio?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
It seems that I will require a new radio. I just received the Radian Pro and the PoleCat from Parkzone. The Polecat requires a DSMX/DSM2 radio for it's micro receiver, and the with the Radian Pro, I would like to get more use of the flaps (reflex, crow, etc). What is my best, and more cost effective option. I want a radio with decent mixing abilities, that is good quality, and has good features. I haven't had luck with Spektrum in the past with the radio that came with a Vaterra Glamis Uno. It would lose reception at about 100ft, where a cheap Flysky would not, so I am somewhat weary of Spektrum as a result, unless someone can say their air radios are good.
I've had two Spektrum DX7s (The original units) for some six years. One was used continuously as the primary transmitter, the second retained as a backup unit. Never had to use the backup unit.

These transmitters were flown with genuine Spektrum receivers, with solid receiver power. Receiver power is either Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC, or a 10 amp uBEC along with a backup two cell A123 battery pack on my giant scale models. Never once had a glitch. The in flight range of these full range Spektrum radios is several miles. Most name brand full range 2.4 Ghz radios match that range.

One guy in our club had a problem with his Spektrum DX7 a few years ago, losing bind once and awhile. Spektrum couldn't reproduce it. So Spektrum returned a BRAND NEW DX7 transmitter. No charge. They even paid return shipping. Pretty common service by Spektrum.

Just about everyone in my club that has gone to 2.4 Ghz has gone to the various Spektrum radios. Spektrum has their "Model Match" feature that absolutely prevents you from taking off your model with the wrong model in the transmitter. If your transmitters active model doesn't match your model ready to fly, that model is dead. Nothing moves.

I've sold one of my DX7's to a club member who is still flying it. It was replaced with a brand new DX8 transmitter that also has been flawless. And, the DX8 is much easier to program for dual aileron, dual flaps, dual elevator servos than the DX7 ever was. Took me 5 minutes to program this in to my giant scale, and didn't even need the manual. The DX8 transmitter came with several receivers, and a data logger for the receiver. That data logger showed zero loss of signal over many flights, some well over 1000 feet away. Never bothered with the data logger again.

As for popularity of the various radios, take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

Page generated in 0.09212 seconds with 17 queries