View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
Bald Paul

Friends: (0)
Default It started as a MidStar 40

Picked up a Sig MidStar 40 kit, with full intentions of converting it to electric. Not just any conversion, though! Twin motors with counter-rotating props. Motor nacelles were designed in CAD and laser cut. Sheeting on the wing was extended out, and aileron servos were mounted in underwing plates. I figured there would be too many wires to use the single servo and torque rod setup supplied in the kit.

It's powered by two Firepower 25 Sport motors (Heads Up RC) swinging APC 12X8e props (one pusher) and two 2200mah, 50C 3S lipo packs in parallel, mounted in what was the fuel tank area beneath the hatch. Two 80 amp ESC's mount below the battery tray. The lower scoop in the fuselage brings air right across the heat sinks and exits via an outlet hole in the rear lower fuselage. Futaba radio gear is used (S3003 ball bearing servos, FASST receiver with separate Rx pack).

The nose was closed off with a CAD designed curved hatch. Access to the Dean's plugs from the batteries to the ESCs is behind this hatch, secured by rare earth magnets.

When it was put on the stand for balancing, I had a very unexpected surprise - it was PERFECT!

I can't wait for the snow to melt, the field to dry up, and have a chance to put this bird in the air! It's been a fun winter project.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-01T18_39_02.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	173831  

Page generated in 0.13309 seconds with 19 queries