Thread: Connector Types
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by garyp1029 View Post
Confused again. Decided on an ICharger 106B+ charger/power source combination offer from Progressive. But wanting to also get a parallel charge board, I discovered that Progressive offers 15 different ones based on the type of connector. WOW!!! My E-Flite Apprentice 3200 batteries take an EC3. HobbyKing batteries seem to mostly JST-XH. Then there is the T-Plug! What is to be done?
It appears that I would be wise to buy a soldering iron, pick ONE type of connector, and convert all future batteries to one type. But which one?
Any and all suggestion would be much appreciated. Gary in Tucson

P.S.--The JST-XH and EC3 connectors appear to be the same. Are they the same?
You are going to get a lot of suggestions on which is the better connector for our electric model airplanes.

As for me, I've standardized on those Anderson Power Pole connectors, ever since starting to fly electric models. FYI, at work, we used those "Original" APP connectors by the thousands every month, and had virtually zero problems with them. By "original", the APP connectors now popularly available are an obviously lower quality than the units we used at work.

This thread describes the difference: (If the specs don't indicate 0.035 inch thick contacts, they're the cheaper connectors.)
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64539

When you dig down into the various connectors available, Allied also sells these connectors in different colors. Might be useful for some model airplanes. Be sure to check the specs and drawings on the different color housings. The $1.40 housings are for a much much larger connector, that can handle up to #4 copper stranded wire.

NO one else besides Allied Electronics stocks this exact terminal. The other suppliers stock the APP connectors, and even use the same Mfg number as Allied. But the other suppliers are using a lower quality terminal.
I had one of those lower quality terminals melt out while carrying a constant 45 Amps for 15 minutes. The other end of the same wire had the Allied connector, no problem what so ever.

Nice thing about those APP connectors, they don't require soldering. The terminals are simply crimped into place, and snapped into the housing. After you've done a couple of them, a connector can be assembled in less than a minute.

You will need a crimper for these terminals. Lots of people, including me use this one. It works very well.

http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-to...Fe1DMgodNzsAqA

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

Page generated in 0.09634 seconds with 17 queries