View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Angoid

Friends: (0)
Default New Lipo User with Questions about Storage

Hi all,

I'm a new LiPo user, with a project on the go (that has been shelved for far too long due to other commitments) and an EastStar that I've just upgraded from the stock set up to LiPo and Brushless (Inrunner).

The question I have is on how to charge the batteries up for storage. I'm aware that you don't store LiPos either fully charged or empty, but the question is how to use my existing equipment to get that 80% or so storage charge.

And as a side-issue, if you can merely charge a battery up from storage charge to full before you start using it again.

The charger I have is a Fusion Elysium LX60B Pro:
http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Logic...x#.U05g8_ldViY
http://www.logicrc.com/?ItemId=O-FS-LX60BP&s=c:0,c:40

So I'll always be balancing with the charging, but the charger does not appear to have a "storage" mode - just charge and discharge modes.

I saw a YouTube video where someone had connected a 12-volt light bulb to his 3S battery and a voltage sensor to the balance port to tell him when the voltages on each cell got to 3.7 volts, but there has to be a better way? Surely? Or is it a case of take off, do one circuit and then land again to get rid of the 'excess' charge before storing the batteries (disconnected, outside the plane and in a LiPo bag)?

I'm aware that you need to charge in a LiPo bag on concrete and well away from anything flammable such as buildings and vehicles etc.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control (for example the Great British Weather has this wonderful 'weekend sensor' that causes all the rain and wind to come our way over the weekends with only the occasional day off here and there) I can only ever be an occasional flyer so my batteries can end up being stored for reasonable lengths of time between flying sessions.

Any ideas and suggestions will be gratefully received!
Thanks.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world

Page generated in 0.08511 seconds with 17 queries